Removing Piston/Rod from a ProBoat .18??

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darin Jordan

Can someone please tell me how to get the piston and rod out of a ProBoat .18 motor??

I have everything that I can unbolt, unbolted, and I thought that I would rotate the crank up to TDC and the rod would slide off the crank pin. However, there doesn't appear to be enough travel in the rod to slide it all the way off the crank.

I have the parts here to eliminate the starter mechanism, which requires that I machine the pin off the end of the crank/Rod journal. Have to get it out first.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

get the rod as far off as possible,,then see if you can roll the rod off one side of the crank pin...

alden

Darin, it will slide off the pin, just can be very hard sometimes when a motor is new and there isnt much crank pin/rod bushing clearance built up. I either use a piece of stiff piano wire bent to a 90 degree angle to slide under the rod and pull it off the crank pin, or a zip tie looped under neath it to do the same thing.

Thanks for the tips, guys... have the crank pin ground down, and new backing plate fitted. Motor is back together and ready to go for this weekend!

Latest posts

Back