removing 3M trip tape.......

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know its kind of late.. but i put radio box tape down on the boat first and then stick the parts over the tape.. makes for an easy clean up.

If you can get the foam parts picked off googone will likely get the rest of the adhesive

Having said that a hammer and chisel works too!.. WARNING: Be careful as this CAN scratch the paint!

Grim

Last edited by a moderator:
Simple; Nitromethane, (100%) OR brake clean or both. :)
Brake clean didn't do squat. :blink:

100% nitromethane? At today's prices?? Brutha are ya stoned??? :lol:

3 applications of Goo Gone Gel spray ($4.98 @ Lowe's) and it's all off with minimal scraping, thanks guys for the suggestions. B)
Did you use the good brake clean? What's a shot glass of Nitro cost? :) Less than five bucks.

Nope not stoned.
Just havin' fun with ya Norm. :) The Goo Gone worked quite well actually and the residual tape remains were rather thick. Laid it on, let it set for about 10 minutes then sqeegee'd off the remains. And the citrus scent was sure better than huffin' brake clean or acetone fumes. ;)
Beltsander :)

trichloroethylene can't be beat! :D

That's the only thing BTW I've found to remove cured silicone...
Terry

Where are you getting that? My dad use to get me trich in a spray can. I seemed to remember a black can with yellow letters. I belive it was called trich. Was assome for cleaning just about anything. The EPA cracked down on that product and they discontinued it. That was 20 years ago.

Mike
I buy it at a local chemical supplier, can only p/u one quart at a time without a haz. rating but I can get 1 gal. delivered.

Yup, nasty stuff too but for the little I use I'm not worried about it. Nothing better for de-greasing, removing goo, cleaning screws etc. :D

P20005 ACRYSOL BODY SOLVENT KENT AUTOMOTIVE INDEPENDENCE, OH 800-458-3222 THIS IS USE ON AIRCRAFT PARTS WORKS NICE

AGREED....Charcoal lighter fluid is very close.Generally the faster something evaporates the more aggressive it is on paint. Bob Smiths epoxy E- sight says CA accelerator works very well for such propose "Go figure".Plastic razor blades made for auto body are very handy with this problem.
Yeah, I ran across using the CA Accelerator last year myself by accident, it makes a great cleaner for removing grease, grime and paint overspray on hardware.

Hey Guys

Sherwin Williams paint stores sell a product called "OOPS" works fantastic and does not hurt paint or plastic

DaveB

Back