Reading Master Hull Roster???

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darin Jordan

Hi Guys... I'm trying to understand how to read the master hull roster, in terms of the dimensions.

I'm looking, specifically, at the 8806 hull. I have a 1/10th scale 1996 Miss DeWalt, and was trying to see what other liveries I could make this into without having to change the hull itself (just with paint and decals).

According to the roster, the length changed three times, but I'm unclear as to how to interpret WHEN it changed? The last change appears next to the 94,98 PowerBall/Miss Madison on the list, but does that mean it's effective from that point down?

Also, the notes on pickle-fork depth changes... Are those related to any specific line in the list, or do I just go from the dates listed in the notes.

Sorry for the hopefully not too-dumb questions, but I'm interested in getting deeper into scale stuff, and would like to understand the hull roster so I can start building on the right path.

Thanks,

Well, if you get that particular, then the Dewalt tools and 99 madison is all of the 8806 hull would make based on you having the dewalt hull. But if you built your hull by the newton plans (#176), you will need to know that his framing is based on a general, overall average of any of those boats in that list. The funny thing is, you should definitely be able to do any of the #176 newton plans, AND I have found, due to the frame kits I have worked on, that the #149 (8701) frames of the 90 Bud and 94 Bud (not the twin wing, the solid deck) are the same framing plan as the Dewalt set. I am sure I will run into more of the same framing sheets for various different newton plan numbers as time goes by. The thing you have to remember, is you are just trying to get something close. To make it perfect, as far as underside changes, is something I don't know if to many people do. If it was, there would be no variance on length, width, sponson depth, etc. If that was the case, you would build everything 1/8th scale to the tee! Hope that helps! Mike

Not to worry, it's not a dumb question. In all honesty, the MHR is a pain to interpret in the case of a couple of boats. As for the 8806, you got off easy with the 1996 DeWalt. Here's the long and short of it:

1990-91) The hull length was changed from 29-8 to 30-10 when shoes were added, Picklefork depth was increased from 112" to 126". Both of these were done when the boat was "turbinized" at the Bud shop in Tukwila by the combined Bud and Madison teams

1993) Hull length was shortened to 30-9, picklefork to 125", the width reduced from 14-5 to 14-3 when the sponsons were radiused

1996) Picklefork depth was decreased to 110" to increase the hull's lift-THIS IS WHERE YOUR HULL IS NOW

2004) The cockpit nose was shortened, a spar added and the canard moved forward and made fully adjustable instead of flaps

Now, the available boats you can do are:

1996-7 DeWalt

1998 Powerball/Miss Madison

1999 Miss Madison(white hull, brown and yellow lettering in the 1978 style)

2000 Miss Madison(yellow hull, brown lettering)

2000-3 Oh Boy! Oberto

As to who drove when, here's a partial list from the Madison website:

Mike Hanson 1988-98

Todd Yarling 1999

Charley Wiggins 2000

Nate Brown 2000

Steve David 2000-present

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to worry, it's not a dumb question. In all honesty, the MHR is a pain to interpret in the case of a couple of boats. As for the 8806, you got off easy with the 1996 DeWalt. Here's the long and short of it:

1990-91) The hull length was changed from 29-8 to 30-10 when shoes were added, Picklefork depth was increased from 112" to 126". Both of these were done when the boat was "turbinized" at the Bud shop in Tukwila by the combined Bud and Madison teams

1993) Hull length was shortened to 30-9, picklefork to 125", the width reduced from 14-5 to 14-3 when the sponsons were radiused

1996) Picklefork depth was decreased to 110" to increase the hull's lift-THIS IS WHERE YOUR HULL IS NOW

2004) The cockpit nose was shortened, a spar added and the canard moved forward and made fully adjustable instead of flaps

Now, the available boats you can do are:

1996-7 DeWalt

1998 Powerball/Miss Madison

1999 Miss Madison(white hull, brown and yellow lettering in the 1978 style)

2000 Miss Madison(yellow hull, brown lettering)

2000-3 Oh Boy! Oberto

As to who drove when, here's a partial list from the Madison website:

Mike Hanson 1988-98

Todd Yarling 1999

Charley Wiggins 2000

Nate Brown 2000

Steve David 2000-present
WOW... that is EXACTLY the kind of info I dig! Thank you guys SOOOO much! I'm off!!

God you guys are lucky seeing all those cool boats where you are! Cherish it, CHERISH ITTT!!!!!!!!!!!! haha

God you guys are lucky seeing all those cool boats where you are! Cherish it, CHERISH ITTT!!!!!!!!!!!! haha

Yah... we do!

Just did some research and it turns out that DeWALT carries 12oz spray cans of their touch-up paint. Looking into what kind it is. Would prefer to go with a real, automotive type finish, but maybe this would work too... with a good clear over it. Trying to get the product data now.

Darin, is it just me or does your DeWalt have the deep picklefork? Seems to me the bulnose should be closer to the windshield than it looked in the pictures of the boat up on the right nontrip and sponson. Looked more like the 95 that the 96 to me, though I could be wrong :rolleyes:

Darin, is it just me or does your DeWalt have the deep picklefork? Seems to me the bulnose should be closer to the windshield than it looked in the pictures of the boat up on the right nontrip and sponson. Looked more like the 95 that the 96 to me, though I could be wrong :rolleyes:
That's part of the reason I needed to understand the hull roster. I didn't build this one, and I wanted to make sure I knew what I was working with.

The guy that built it is really good, and the sponson details are amazing. I'll get some measurements now and find out for sure which year it's suppose to be. I thought the 1995 had yellow tail feathers, but again, I'm just getting started with this research so I'll figure it out eventually.

I agree, it looks great the way it is. On the picklefork depth, for the 96 and later, it needs to be approximately 11" while the 91-95 it should be 12.5". I don't think it would be hard to fill it in if needed to make the later hulls with the shallower picklefork. Now if he built it half way in between, LEAVE IT ALONE and I won't say anything :)

Hey Darin.

Before you get too involved with making a 1/8th Scale DeWalt, you might want to check with Wes Ellet www.wesleyscustomgraphics.net, and others, about Dewalt not wanting any of their copyrighted graphics used on any models. Not too long ago there was a "Big Stink" going on as I recall. I'm sure many Scale boaters will chime in. CHEERS !!! Bob

Bob, he's DOESN'T WANT to make a scale DeWalt, HE HAS A 1/10TH SCALE ELECTRIC DeWalt he wants to repaint into something else.

"HE HAS A 1/10TH SCALE ELECTRIC DeWalt he wants to repaint into something else."

Whew !!! I'm glad that is cleared up - - My Bad. CHEERS !!! Bob

On the picklefork depth, for the 96 and later, it needs to be approximately 11" while the 91-95 it should be 12.5". I don't think it would be hard to fill it in if needed to make the later hulls with the shallower picklefork. Now if he built it half way in between, LEAVE IT ALONE and I won't say anything :)
Hydro J,

I measured it tonight... Picklefork depth is right at 11.65". That should be OK with the 10% tolerance.

Dimensions are:

Length: 37.5"

Width: 17 3/4"

Tunnel Width: 9"

Picklefork Depth: 11.65"

We have only 1/2" tolerance on the length, but 10% everywhere else. However, since this boat was built prior to 2008, it's grandfathered in on the length, even if it's a tad off.

Also found out today that DeWALT sells 12oz spray cans of their paint for touching up compressors, etc... It's $35.00 a can, however, so I think it would make much more sense to refinish this with a decent automotive paint treatment. Would like to get it like some of those other fantastic looking boats out there.

Thanks again for the help, and the concern too! I'll let DeWALT officially tell me to drop the decals, before I do it, if it comes to that.

That worked out nice, it's within spec almost all of the 8806 hulls. Move the canard back, add tiplets as needed and you have the 93-95 boats. Do nothing but paint and you have the 96-03 boats. The only boats you can't do are the 91 Madison, 91-92 Kellogg's and the 92 Kellogg's. Works for me B)

Darin, you must have missed the OBERTO. You gotta have all those paints in the right colors. :D

Darin, you must have missed the OBERTO. You gotta have all those paints in the right colors. :D
I KNOW! ;) I think I'm going to just leave this the DeWalt! I do love yellow!!

I'll do an Oberto for the one that I build from scratch...

I came up with one more question...

Is there a list or description somewhere that gives a better description of the details of each of the hulls listed??

For example, I've been told that some hulls are registered in the MHR under different registration numbers, but they are actually VERY close to the same hull. How can one find out more about this?

To take a specific example. Roster #9210. How can I find out what hull this is, and which other roster numbers it's the same as, or very similiar too (i.e.: could also be made into?) if any?

Thanks...

Latest posts

Back