RCU 8th Scale Brushless Hydroplane Build

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey there, thank you very much for the offer... I have a ton of pictures of the boats, I am a huge hydro fan as well as on the board that puts on our local race. I have grown up with everything hydro... I am a hydro junkie as well... I was going to make this one a little more scale, its close but a few things are off... But I decided to run this one the way it is and I will be building a new one from scratch that will be more scale and I will shoot for a lighter racing weight.

KC, the boat looks really good and I am curious as to how it will run. Would you like some dimensions and pictures of the shoes on the Oberto to give them a more scale appearance? I can tell you that the shoes are not the same length so let me know if you're interested. I've been working on redrawing a set of Newton T-5/6 plans to build a gas scale Oberto, so you're welcome to any info I can come up with

Works for me, just let me know what you need and when you need it. I'll be at both Madison and Seattle this season so I'll see what I can get for additional detail shots at both locations :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok guys a quick update... As you can see paint started going on the boat the last couple days.... The body of the hull is all that is left to paint.... Then I have a debate going and I would love to hear what everyone has to say about it. Option 1 would be finish painting, add decals, and clear over decals. Advantage cleaning would be easier without the decals over the clear, however I would be stuck with the same decals forever and they could pose a problem with repairs later on if damage is near the decals.

Option 2 is finish painting, clear the boat, then add decals over clear.... Advantage would be I can always change them with the boat as they change decals here and there, also I can have a thinner coat of clear as I dont have to worry about covering multiple layers of vinyl graphics, and I can block the clear down and polish it before laying graphics so I will have a better looking finish as well.. Only disadvantage I see is cleaning the boat after runs will be a little more challanging as I have to work around the graphics a little. I dont mind that all that much though. Hey the real boats have the graphics over the clear so why not.

Ha other problem I had as you can see I got the trailer painted, after first coat I noticed the top of the trailer had lots of low and high spots as I didnt do as much body work as I would have liked on it. So I may end up adding some bondo and sanding it again then painting again but I havent decided yet.

Also got the cowling magnets installed... went with a pair on each side of the cowling and wow I am thinking I could have got away with one set. Each set has a pull force of over 30lbs and its a task to get the cowling off ha. However I think I came up with a good system to get it off without straining too hard haha. They work great though easy and quick to put it on and take it off... Keeps the boat looking clean on the outside with no cowl attachments.

IMAG0876.jpg

IMAG0877.jpg

IMAG0878.jpg

Ok guys pretty much got my trailer ready to go... Still gotta add some tail lights and a license plate ha but other than that I am happy. Oh also need to get my hands on some tires for it. Right now I borrowed some from a buddy just to check fit, but I need to get some for it. I also will be adding wheels to the back under the trailer and a handle on the front of the trailer. This way I can tip it up with the boat and everything on it and roll it instead of carrying it everywhere. With the boat and all the batteries and everything in the drawers and the weight of the trailer itself it would be a task to carry it everywhere.

As far as this trailer goes it tilts like the real ones, I am even thinking about making it tilt with a button later on. I made it to look similar to the real oberto trailer right down to the diamond plate on the deck, and the reflective red and chrome tape around the base of the trailer. I even put real nonslip tape on the steps like the real trailer. I think it is a fun addition and a nice touch for the club.

IMAG0892.jpg

IMAG0893.jpg

IMAG0894.jpg

IMAG0895.jpg

IMAG0896.jpg

Ok guys pretty much got my trailer ready to go... Still gotta add some tail lights and a license plate ha but other than that I am happy. Oh also need to get my hands on some tires for it. Right now I borrowed some from a buddy just to check fit, but I need to get some for it. I also will be adding wheels to the back under the trailer and a handle on the front of the trailer. This way I can tip it up with the boat and everything on it and roll it instead of carrying it everywhere. With the boat and all the batteries and everything in the drawers and the weight of the trailer itself it would be a task to carry it everywhere.

As far as this trailer goes it tilts like the real ones, I am even thinking about making it tilt with a button later on. I made it to look similar to the real oberto trailer right down to the diamond plate on the deck, and the reflective red and chrome tape around the base of the trailer. I even put real nonslip tape on the steps like the real trailer. I think it is a fun addition and a nice touch for the club.
KC,

Love the trailer, we really are just a bunch of hydro geeks, gotta love it.

Kevin

Kevin, you going to the UNW fun run on Saturday at Twin Lakes? It is right in your back yard ;)

I'd ask KC but I don't think he'd want to drive from over the passes:lol:

I do wanna come over there sometime this summer and at least watch some racing. Ill have to check out your guys schedule.

Kevin, you going to the UNW fun run on Saturday at Twin Lakes? It is right in your back yard ;)

I'd ask KC but I don't think he'd want to drive from over the passes:lol:

I'm in R/CU as well. Just going to drop into the fun run and pick up some fuel from the bulk order Brandt set up and see who shows up

ok the new pin stripe tape got here today I think the 1/64 was perfect. Got the cowling, wings, turbine tube and tray, and canard all clear coated. Like I said I am clearing everything and polishing before decals, but I went ahead and put the shark gills on the cowling before clear because it was a printed decal that I made so decided to put it under the clear, it turned out great. So got the parts in the box with a heater drying overnight, hope they turn out good. Body work is almost done on the hull, last bit of bondo went on today and will sand that tomorrow and get the last primer coat on tomorrow if everything goes well. Then start on paint on the hull hopefully.

Ok guys, got some new pictures of the progress.... oh I have tail lights and even a Indiana license plate on the trailer haha. I have pretty much been working non stop on the decals. They have been the toughest decals I have ever done. Each color had to be cut out individually and pieced together like a little tiny puzzle. It was horrrrrible and time consuming. I just have a few decals left that go on the hull as the hull is still just white. Only problem I have had with paint so far is I had a little of the silver peel up off the cockpit, but I had to calm down and remembered that the cockpit glass will probably go there anyways so no worries. So painting I went ahead and cleared before the decals went on as they are vinyl so the water wont hurt them. I then wet sanded the clear with 2000 then polished the clear with two different grit polishes. It looks good I am a little worried about the decals peeling but I have the files saved now so can always redo peices. I dont want to clear over them because it will add another half pound to a pound to the boat and I already am over the weight I want to be at. So I will try it out and see how it goes.

Also I included a picture of the wing decals, one is just after cutting the black which then had to be taken apart and a green red and white cut the same and all the pieces put together... the other is the finished product. I am pretty happy with them.

Hopefully I will get some color on the hull today.

IMAG0906.jpg

IMAG0911.jpg

IMAG0916.jpg

IMAG0918.jpg

IMAG0919.jpg

IMAG0920.jpg

IMAG0921.jpg

IMAG0922.jpg

IMAG0923.jpg

IMAG0924.jpg

It's starting to look really good. Don't know if you have a good copy of the Madison Indiana city seal so just in case :)

Getting closer. Got the colors and clear coat on the hull. Still need to wet sand and polish the hull and get decals on it. Need to do the salt water scoop as you can see from the pics I haven't started on it yet. Then get everything in the hull. Still waiting on my castle hydra ice from tower so I cannot run tell I get that as I already sold my castle 240 hv, the old style. But it looks like an oberto now, oh also I need to do the cockpit and driver, which I am hoping to work on a little bit today.

IMAG0931.jpg

IMAG0932.jpg

It's starting to look really good. Don't know if you have a good copy of the Madison Indiana city seal so just in case :)
I think I gave him a pics of that.. looks good KC. KC do you have the blackout lines around the shark and green and red? So far everyone who did that boat skiped out doing that.

You have no faith. Of course I did those didnt you read all my posts about waiting on trim tape. Had to special order the right size. 16th was too big 32nd was just right. Yeah its there.

I think I gave him a pics of that.. looks good KC. KC do you have the blackout lines around the shark and green and red? So far everyone who did that boat skiped out doing that.

You have no faith. Of course I did those didnt you read all my posts about waiting on trim tape. Had to special order the right size. 16th was too big 32nd was just right. Yeah its there.

well the one you showed me from one of your friends 1/12 proboat didnt do his. Joe does the judging on the 1/8 at Celina races and theres one that doesnt have it and joe keeps taking points off of it every year. Thats what makes the boat stand out better with those black lines.

Question are you using 1/4 cable? Most of the FE 8ths we've run are using 3/16, alot easier on the motor.

Also you might try a HS645MG for a steering servo. If you keep your servo off the bottom of the hull you don't need a waterproof unit.

Back