RCU 8th Scale Brushless Hydroplane Build

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok everyone, its getting close to done. I hope to test this weekend so I have gotten everything back in the boat. I have a few more decals to get on it and I want to get the salt water scoop painted up and on, but right now its crunch time so decided to get it all back together and ready to test. I just ordered a bunch more batteries so I should have 5 or 6 sets to start the season with which will be plenty. Still waiting on my hydro ice 240, I got tired of waiting on tower to get them in stock so I ordered one from a guy on ebay and it should be here tomorrow hopefully. So when that gets here I should be able to fire it up and go.

IMAG0969.jpg

IMAG0970.jpg

IMAG0971.jpg

IMAG0972.jpg

Hey there, yes my servo is off the floor but I am using a waterproof servo because well, better safe than sorry. As far as the driveline goes yes I am using a .250 cable which is quarter inch. This is what all the nitro guys use and with an 8th scale and all the torque of these motors I wouldn't think a 3/16th would work, I could see that snapping very quickly. But who knows, I wont be trying it though.

Question are you using 1/4 cable? Most of the FE 8ths we've run are using 3/16, alot easier on the motor.

Also you might try a HS645MG for a steering servo. If you keep your servo off the bottom of the hull you don't need a waterproof unit.

Question are you using 1/4 cable? Most of the FE 8ths we've run are using 3/16, alot easier on the motor.
What makes you believe that? In an application such as scale a 1/4" step to 3/16" cable is the way to fly, we were breaking 3/16" cables before the motors got as powerful as they are now. Ask Rod Geraghty about the tests he did on parasitic drag and the differences between turning a 3/16" cable vs. one that's a 1/4", you might be very surprised. ;)

What makes you believe that? In an application such as scale a 1/4" step to 3/16" cable is the way to fly, we were breaking 3/16" cables before the motors got as powerful as they are now. Ask Rod Geraghty about the tests he did on parasitic drag and the differences between turning a 3/16" cable vs. one that's a 1/4", you might be very surprised. ;)
Hey Don i really respect your opinion on the cable sizes. Just going by what we've been running in 8th since FE inception. The 3/16 cables work just fine unless your pushing a real `heavy weight' around. Most competitive FE setups are well under 17lbs RTR. A good quality (Hughey) 3/16 cable won't snap unless your doing something wrong. As your aware with some FE setups were running almost twice the RPM as the nitros(with smaller dia props).

Ok everyone, its getting close to done. I hope to test this weekend so I have gotten everything back in the boat. I have a few more decals to get on it and I want to get the salt water scoop painted up and on, but right now its crunch time so decided to get it all back together and ready to test. I just ordered a bunch more batteries so I should have 5 or 6 sets to start the season with which will be plenty. Still waiting on my hydro ice 240, I got tired of waiting on tower to get them in stock so I ordered one from a guy on ebay and it should be here tomorrow hopefully. So when that gets here I should be able to fire it up and go.
looking good KC!! :D

I always love hearing different opinions however my own personal opinion from my own experience is I have snapped 3/16th cable on a 5 pound 12th scale. I dont think I would risk a 16 pound 8th scale on the same cable pushing a much larger prop. Just my opinion. Plus as I said every 8th scale guy I know uses the larger cable.

Hey Don i really respect your opinion on the cable sizes. Just going by what we've been running in 8th since FE inception. The 3/16 cables work just fine unless your pushing a real `heavy weight' around. Most competitive FE setups are well under 17lbs RTR. A good quality (Hughey) 3/16 cable won't snap unless your doing something wrong. As your aware with some FE setups were running almost twice the RPM as the nitros(with smaller dia props).

I always love hearing different opinions however my own personal opinion from my own experience is I have snapped 3/16th cable on a 5 pound 12th scale. I dont think I would risk a 16 pound 8th scale on the same cable pushing a much larger prop. Just my opinion. Plus as I said every 8th scale guy I know uses the larger cable.

How is your scale coming along?

Hey guys this is KC and I will be posting my build of my 8th scale brushless 2009 Oberto for the RCU Club. We will also have a number of other boat builds posted in this thread, including a 2008 U-3 piston hydroplane and a 2008 Elam. Look forward to visiting with all you guys.

Also due to the fact that it took a month to get accepted on here to post we will be starting our posts after lotsa work has already been completed, but we will try and catch everyone up on things we have already completed.
Hi KC Bill here, your mach one is totally awsome, fassst,but I los my cowl, dummy me didnt add foam,could you make me another one it is black with the saltwater snorkle,please contact me at [email protected] would greatly appreaciate it, Bill.

****, that is a very nice looking boat! How many lipo cells are you going to run and what motor?

Last edited by a moderator:
****, that is a very nice looking boat! How many lipo cells are you going to run and what motor?
That is a very nice boat I wish you the best of luck with that castle esc.

Back