4PM Radio system

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwilfong

Well it time for a new radio. Have bin looking at the Futaba 4PM but it get confusing when you go to the web sight.
I see thy have different receivers and a hub system to hook up RPM and GPS sensors.
I is very confusing to mull threw all the info to make a good desertion on what to get.
Any help would be much appreciated from those that have this set up and use the sensors and the logging function.
Time to upgrade from my old radio and the eagle tree stuff.

Well what one dose. If you go to the sight it is confusing on what works with what.

Well little rich for my blood. Will just have to mottle along with the old stuff for now.

I spent my stimulus check on them plus sold my 3PMX equipment. My goal was to get the gps. I bought the 4PM after reading all the Futaba info on line and found after purchase it didn’t support the gps sensor. I really like the 7PXR! It’s an amazing radio!

Yes I thought the 4PM would work all the sensors after a quick read. Thanks for the input would have bin in the same boat.

Thanks John for helping.. David, Indeed the 7PK is the most incredible system i have ever used. It seems like overkill until you get the full benefit of the Telemetry.

Yes.. ONLY the 7PX (Surface systems) will accept the GPS module.

Here are some videos I did last winter.. hope to do more this winter.

Kind Regards

Grim

It is a killer radio from what I looked at in the manual. Yes the telemetry is the thing about it that is most impressive.
So you can put a SD card in it to save the logs?
Can you play the logs on a computer?
Dose it Blue tooth with say a I-pod or a phone.
Lots of stuff in the book to look over.

It is impressive

I think you can save your runs to a SD card (I have never done this)
I think it can be viewed in data program.. check here. Ripmax - Futaba Upgrade Telemetry Log-Data Converter
I dont think it can on its own. however I do know, seems to me, somebody was doing something simular to this using a host of programs to make it work (looked like way to much, information overload) for RC boating.
SO MUCH TO LEARN!

Grim

See I told you it gets confusing quick....LOL
Hay you are the futaba go to guy right?
Would be nice if there was a tutorial on how to use the logging function and the SD card set up.
Any info on how to use it in a program on your computer to view would be nice also.
This is what will make it worth the $$$ investment in this system.

Well it time for a new radio. Have bin looking at the Futaba 4PM but it get confusing when you go to the web sight.
I see thy have different receivers and a hub system to hook up RPM and GPS sensors.
I is very confusing to mull threw all the info to make a good desertion on what to get.
Any help would be much appreciated from those that have this set up and use the sensors and the logging function.
Time to upgrade from my old radio and the eagle tree stuff.

Dave, I've the forerunner to the 4PM, the 4PV... just love the thing!.....

These radios have come an awfully long way since the Futaba 3EGX FM units we

used to use.

On a similar topic, sure wish someone would come up with a logging system,

similar to the Eagle Tree, at a reasonable price- tach, EGT, GPS, etc. would be

great.

Thanks-

Tim

Tim I think this new radio dose this with a SC card .
Just hard to understand all that it can do.
Futaba thinks every one is a engineer.
Would be nice to here from those that have one and have used the logging set up.

in the number of years they have had data collection I have never seen anybody use it. in planes, helis, cars or boats.

Typically use is on the fly with a review of "max" what ever that might be.. MPH, Altitude, stuff like that.

I did do data logging back when I was testing for Aquacraft.. (eagle tree) It was nice.. BUT.. part of the job and my time was dedicated to "reviewing" and using the information (lots of desk)

Grim

I have done lots of logging with my eagle tree systems have both kinds and 2 of each with all the bells and whistles.
It is a pain to fit it all in a boat and set all the stuff up. then down load on to your computer to play back.
If this system can show it right on the screen and then save it on SD card for later it would testing much more user friendly.
Also just one small receiver to do it ALL.
I guess the only way to find out is do it my self and then share what I find.

Tim I think this new radio dose this with a SC card .
Just hard to understand all that it can do.
Futaba thinks every one is a engineer.
Would be nice to here from those that have one and have used the logging set up.

EXACTLY!..... mine came with a decent sized paperback BOOK.....quite thorough, but some stuff

took a couple of read-thru's.... all in all, quite intuitive, though.

Logging setup's on the 'to do' list...... really want a plug/head temp, tach, and EGT read out.

Daisy chain the whole affair together thru the bus.

Thinkin' it's doable, just some figuring to get a pyro probe to play well with the Futaba prog.

Maybe. LOL! ;)

Well pulled the trigger and got the T4PM.
It came with a telemetry compatible receiver.
So far it has bin a breeze to set up the servos and switch designations.
The 3rd channel can be controlled by a switch and the knob.
Will se how the telemetry works here soon.
The RPM sensor is HUGE not sure if it will work on a Nitro eng flywheel.
Need to buy one and tear in to it to see what is what.

Back