Radar Guns

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

izitbrokeyet?

Anyone have anything good/bad to say about different brands of radar. I’m getting to a point where timing between fixed points is no good and I’ve got to get radar set for objective measurements.

nerd.gif

I’m thinking about the Bushnell Speedster for $150 any thoughts?

dunno.gif

Radar is only as good as the person using it. :(

It requires a straight hit and bounce to be acurate. If you try to tag the boat at an angle, or follow it through the water, the reading could be out by several MPH.

You need to be standing right in front, or behind the boat. Not an easy place to be for most ponds.

Unless you have a shore you can run straight at, the timing lights, or stopwatch is still the best method.

A laser gate is by far the most acurate.

If you just want to use the radar for fun or to compare runs after a modification, go nuts.

Hey you can always get yourself a cop hat and have some fun on the local freeway. ;D

Peter

Running wide open towards the shore? While I'm (or someone else) is on the shore?

nono.gif

Not even I have stones that big.

I run my small boats from my side pier that is 60' from the shore line. The only things I need to worry about hitting are turtles, or the pilings
hairraiser.gif

Rocks and W.O.F. dont mix

question.gif

I'm more interested to know if anyone has had a problem picking up boats with their radar gun.

Well I have heard mixed reviews about the cheaper units, But these are GREAT!! I borrow one from the Mercury dealer Pro shop.

If five or six went in together its not so bad.

Gene ;D

Just reread your post, What I do is have a buddy squat on one knee at the shore shotin parallel, and I do a pass at about 25 foot out parallel to him, No problemo's

My buddy has a stalker 1200 bucks when he bought it but it works great.As to heading to shore to get a good reading not addviseable he was gun at 51.5 mph just after lift off luckely the heavy park picknic table stopped it in flight 10 foot up the shore line. the table one the boat lost. Id spend a little more and get a good one.

$150 speedster sounds good, but the stalker is just out the most peoples affordability/priority range. if you try it, let us know your results with it. ;)

You should see the knuckle heads using there radar gun in San Francisco at Golden Gate park. They drive straight at the gun standing on a cement sidewalk and at the last second whip the radio to turn the boat. Several times have been near misses to hitting the shore. And I second the "the guns only as good as the guy using it" because the person using it at my park always has crappy speeds so I know it's always off 5-10 mph.

I’m thinking about the Bushnell Speedster for $150 any thoughts?

I used one of these a few months ago and found it had trouble picking up the boats unless you drove it very close to the gun - which has obvious safety issues as others have mentioned.

I have also used a Stalker and it was a lot more suitable for getting readings on boats.

The other option is to use a GPS if you have room in the boats.

Yeah runnin straight at the gun scares the crap outta me, Some poor dude caught bendin over digging in his toolbox gets a sponson up his....... "pardon me have we been introduced"

Gene ;D

myself and a couple of my buddies bought the decauter sports radar and it works great!.....

you dont need to be running directly at yourself to get a good reading.... they work just as well running directly away from you and it is a lot safer!

That Cheepskate got the speedster.

what a Turkey.........didn't listen to a thing you guys said and took the cheap way out

turkey.gif

By the way Virginia Tech is ranked 9th going into the weekend ;D

GO HOKIES!!

turkey.gif

Picked the gun up for $125 delivered............
graucho.gif

If I dont like what it tells me.......it'll be resold on Ebay for $126

Working towards retirement........One dollar at a time
dollar.gif

;)

Latest posts

Back