Question regarding 3 motors

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Villeneuve

Hey guys,

I took apart my OS max RG .21 today and I got a bit confused about the bearings. It's the first time I take it apart since getting it.
The bigger crankshaft bearing (closest to the piston) had one shield on it (the side facing the piston) and no shield on the other side.
On the other one (smaller bearing closer to the flywheel) the bearing was still fully shielded, both bearing cover were on it. That bearing had grease on the exterior of it and grease was stuck to the case itself.
My question is, Is it suppose to be like this? on both my other engine (k&b outboard and ops .67) there is no shield on the bearings exept the ones that are facing outside.
Should I be removing the shields when installing new bearings?

My other question is, I just bought a CMB .21 but did not realise it was set up for remote needle.
Where could I get either a needle or a remote needle for a CMB LS .21? I do not want to use a 3rd channel, but would not mind mounting a remote needle somewhere in the boat.

Third question, I had stalling issues with my outboard K&B. Took it apart and it turns out the bearing facing down to the flexshaft was rusted. The bearings were 3 months old aprox. Always put after run oil in it, no other bearings has any rust. Could it be that this bearing does not have any oil going down to it? Do I need to split the engine from the lower unit to flush and oil that bearing? I would like to prevent rust from forming there and having to change bearings all the time.

Thanks alot for the help.
Mike

Michael, the big bearing (inside) shield face forward. Open side faces toward inside. On the small out side bearing the sealed side goes to the out side.

I purchased bearings from different sources over the years
And some where shielded on one side some on both, some had shield on one side,and retainer on other. So no matter what I installed them as described above.

I don't know how much time are on your bearings, and if you are not certain I would purchase new ones. At a minimum most people change there bearings every race season. And it not an odd thing to change them out a couple times in one season.

As far as the remote needle get one from Stu Barr at crap shooter boats. They are a bit pricey but I have found that a needle valve is no where to cut corners. The last thing you need is an erratic cheap needle valve.

Sounds like you need new bearings in your k&b

Thanks
Jim

The needle vale from Stu is a 3rd Chanel needle but you can just use it as a remote needle by locking its movement.

Michael, the big bearing (inside) shield face forward. Open side faces toward inside. On the small out side bearing the sealed side goes to the out side.

I purchased bearings from different sources over the years
And some where shielded on one side some on both, some had shield on one side,and retainer on other. So no matter what I installed them as described above.

I don't know how much time are on your bearings, and if you are not certain I would purchase new ones. At a minimum most people change there bearings every race season. And it not an odd thing to change them out a couple times in one season.

As far as the remote needle get one from Stu Barr at crap shooter boats. They are a bit pricey but I have found that a needle valve is no where to cut corners. The last thing you need is an erratic cheap needle valve.

Sounds like you need new bearings in your k&b

Thanks
Jim

Thanks James, I do have a new set of bearings for the OS, I just wanted to make sure they were not put on wrong before I got a hold of the motor.

As far as remote needle goes, I believe Stu sells them for 80 or so usd. With me being in Canada, unfortunately I have to find another less expensive option as it will nearly double once it gets to me and converts over to CAD.

For the K&B, I do need the bearing changed, my question was more if I could of done something to prevent this from happening.

Thanks,
Mike

Mabye someone else will give you information on your outboard k&B

I don't know much about outdoards

My other question is, I just bought a CMB .21 but did not realise it was set up for remote needle.
Where could I get either a needle or a remote needle for a CMB LS .21? I do not want to use a 3rd channel, but would not mind mounting a remote needle somewhere in the boat.

Hello-

Tower Hobbies has what you want, as far as the remote, non 3rd channel needle is concerned-

OS Engines Needle Valve Assembly: 40G | Tower Hobbies

For your bearing needs, you could go with Boca Bearings-

RC Engine Bearings

Thanks-

Tim

Back