question for the general public

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wes Here is my problem. Guys are always coming in at my shop and asking about boat running and where to do it. My guys give them information about our facility. Then they ask what we run there and how much it costs to run at the pond. There lies two problems. They don't know what to tell them. Boats like the nitro SV27 interest them more than the Miss Vegas. I can understand that. But it hasn't fit into any class really yet. I know RTR, but at diff races they may not be allowed to run the SV27 in rtr. I think Grim couldn't run his at E'ville. Then there is the cost to run a boat from an insurance point. My guys are always afraid to give information about running at Huber's because they have to be an IMPBA member to run there. I wish there was in introductory member ship fee of $25.00 or in that ballpark to see if these guys want to stick around and enjoy the boat racing environment. At $50 for a try and see if you like it, that is a little steep.

By the way we carry quite a few boats and have been selling a little of everything including the gassers.

Chris

To follow up on Chris's statement, maybe we could have a non-competitors membership rate. The classification could be upgraded at any time to allow them to race. Otherwise, for the play boater, they get access to the pond and get to learn the hobby without the competitive pressure.

Another problem is companies like Dumas. I have tried two or three times over the past couple of years to get a scale hydro kit from them only to be told they were out of stock and wouldn't be in stock until the holidays. I can understand the "overhead" costs and all, but how are the new boaters supposed to get a kit when Dumas won't make them except once per year? Seems to me they don't want to stay in business if they aren't willing to keep a few boats in stock. How can you even refer someone to Dumas for a tunnel hull if you can't be sure they will even have one to sell? This is a major part of the problem as I see it and it's sad that Dumas is literally cutting their own throat by:

1) not having the kits available

2) not updating the kits they designed over two decades ago

3) not being willing to sell cowlings unless you can prove you bought the kit for the boat even though they don't have the kit's to sell

Kinda makes it easy to see why many are turning to RTR's and not building. It also makes it easy to see why companies like Prather have closed their doors and made finding the parts we all need harder to get

I don’t know if it is feasible or not...but I think the idea of a half price first year membership to the IMPBA is a good one. I see part of the problem with starting to run boats is the cost. The RTR makes that cheaper...but if your club charges a membership fee (mine does), then you are hit with the cost of the boat ($280sh), the cost of club membership ($40) and the cost of IMPBA membership ($50). It would be nice if the IMPBA could afford to give a half price first year membership rate...but I think they are already doing a lot with the $10 family member rate. I have two kids that run, and it would be hard to justify $150 a year...

As to industrial arts...when I went to school we had separate classes. IE woods, metals, autos, electronics, and who knows what else. When I went back for a tour during my 20th class reunion (****, makes me sound old) they said all they offered was a combined class as industrial arts. I don't know what the syllabus has in it...but I don't see how they can really specialize in anything if they have to dabble in everything over the year. Anyhow, I really don't think the average teenager wants to sit down and put together a kit boat. Whether that is a lack of will, or a lack of skill, I don't see them doing it.

Sean

Well in my neck of the woods there is some talk about RTR class. From what has been said that I have heard they want to make this a strictly stock class and strictly novice/beginner class. I don't like the novice/beginner part because if I was racing the class the cats meow would be beating grimracer (ya know out drive him with one of his boats).

As Far as lowering the cost for first time members, I don't really understand why? Its been pointed out to me that try racing anything and paying less than $50 a year for a membership ( we are racing here). We also have a practice pond here that alot of the local boaters I know frequent (Its and IMPBA pond and you also need to buy a pass (from the county) to run there (its a yearly pass, like for your local pools)). So as far as paying $50 to race and use the local ponds and run with the local racers sounds like a good deal to me.

The main object needs to be getting people to come and watch the boats race. If there is any interest in boats then they will get hooked when they see the boats run. Whether they like to see the beauty of 6-7 stock tunnels evenly matched or the pure insane speed of the hydros holding the water thru the turns or the reliability of the monos in any weather conditions. We need to just get the people that have interest to run there, if they like what they see they will play ( Ya need more than $50 to play).

I really like the idea of going to the LHS and putting on a "seminar" for those that might be interested. I'm not real sure how the people at walmart would take it but there is a few that would be interested for sure.

Ya know 3 years ago I never knew there was a RC boat, I had never seen one. Planes,cars and heli's I had seen but never a boat. In my case I was given a RTR and went and watched a race, I still have the RTR but that winter I built my first rigger ( I was hooked). Yes cost is an issue for sure. I wanted to start playing boat racing and I built a little .12 rigger, I didn't win very much at all ( I did race every district race and did pit for others and seen what and how things are done and learned alot (Most importantly I had alot of FUN).

In the case of say a RTR speedmaster or seaducer, why not have a list of people that are experienced builders that would build your boat if you don't have the skill to build it. A first boat should be able to be made for $300-$750, lotsa people are willing to help the guy that wants to be part of this hobby ( I would give and do give parts to people that want to play).

All in all I don't have the answers to this question but there are some good suggestions and I am gonna see what can be done about spreading the word more about these local races and local test areas.

Paul

Another reason you dont have new boaters is the fact that you can not get some new hulls/parts without a really long wait.

You can buy a Minature Aircraft Competition Helo $1000 - $1500 kit almost always in stock.

BVM jet $1500- up to big money , my friend ordered his and had it in 8 days with 2 Jet cat turbines( in stock) at $2800 each.

People will spend money, but alot of folks dont like to mess around and wait till ......forever. So what would motivate someone to get into boats that is an experenced RC person, and has money to spend, if they cant find product in short order from the supplier/vendor.

We flew helos for 9-10years and you could always, ( I cant remember a time) get parts ,frames ,blades etc. overnighted to you if you had to. We made alot of parts but it wasnt "cause we had to" due to a non-stocking supplier.

I cant speak to RTR and availibilty of thoses items , this is only for more " race oriented" stuff.

Dont read into this,not beating up on anyone/business just stating the facts as I see-um.

Comments.....

Another reason you dont have new boaters is the fact that you can not get some new hulls/parts without a really long wait.You can buy a Minature Aircraft Competition Helo $1000 - $1500 kit almost always in stock.

BVM jet $1500- up to big money , my friend ordered his and had it in 8 days with 2 Jet cat turbines( in stock) at $2800 each.

People will spend money, but alot of folks dont like to mess around and wait till ......forever. So what would motivate someone to get into boats that is an experenced RC person, and has money to spend, if they cant find product in short order from the supplier/vendor.

We flew helos for 9-10years and you could always, ( I cant remember a time) get parts ,frames ,blades etc. overnighted to you if you had to. We made alot of parts but it wasnt "cause we had to" due to a non-stocking supplier.

I cant speak to RTR and availibilty of thoses items , this is only for more " race oriented" stuff.

Dont read into this,not beating up on anyone/business just stating the facts as I see-um.

Comments.....

Mark

Everything you said is true in relation to Nitro boats.

Now if you take a look at Gas there is an unlimited number of websites , manufactures , parts and hulls all at your fingertips.

You can order every single part you need to build a gas boat on line and the options are endless plus you can get most of it within a reasonable time frame.

So maybe this thread should read what can we do to help to grow interest in the Nitro side of our hobby because I am starting to think it is going the way of Tether boats ..

When was the last time you read of a new (not re-released ) hull being made for Nitro?

Gas is taking the majority of the new boaters and a good chunk of us that have been around for a while as well.

Tim K

Last edited by a moderator:
Tim,

You are right about the gas taking over thing..

Its just sad that folks want to get something, and I am talking Nitro, and it is months or way more before stuff would be deliverable .

2 guys down here that I flew helos with for years, wanted to get 4 nitro riggers. They were so turned off by the wait times they were given the said "forget it".

All they fly is nitro and turbines, they dont want gas stuff. They both have put alot of money into a private RC flying field at one of their Ranch's( I would bet in excess of 40K, big diesel generator , air-conditioned building and paved runway and a nice gravel road to access it) and they would have been good to get into boats, as they are both really good guys and there is a beautiful lake on the property that would be amazing to hold BIG races at. No mufflers needed.........and RV space a plenty.

Mark

Another reason you dont have new boaters is the fact that you can not get some new hulls/parts without a really long wait.You can buy a Minature Aircraft Competition Helo $1000 - $1500 kit almost always in stock.

Comments.....

Mark

Everything you said is true in relation to Nitro boats.

Now if you take a look at Gas there is an unlimited number of websites , manufactures , parts and hulls all at your fingertips.

You can order every single part you need to build a gas boat on line and the options are endless plus you can get most of it within a reasonable time frame.

So maybe this thread should read what can we do to help to grow interest in the Nitro side of our hobby because I am starting to think it is going the way of Tether boats ..

When was the last time you read of a new (not re-released ) hull being made for Nitro?

Gas is taking the majority of the new boaters and a good chunk of us that have been around for a while as well.

Tim K
Tim I agree 100% with you. The beauty of the gas world is that you can buy a hull motor pipe etc, build it and you will be competitive right out of the box. TJ

Tim,You are right about the gas taking over thing..

Its just sad that folks want to get something, and I am talking Nitro, and it is months or way more before stuff would be deliverable .

2 guys down here that I flew helos with for years, wanted to get 4 nitro riggers. They were so turned off by the wait times they were given the said "forget it".

All they fly is nitro and turbines, they dont want gas stuff. They both have put alot of money into a private RC flying field at one of their Ranch's( I would bet in excess of 40K, big diesel generator , air-conditioned building and paved runway and a nice gravel road to access it) and they would have been good to get into boats, as they are both really good guys and there is a beautiful lake on the property that would be amazing to hold BIG races at. No mufflers needed.........and RV space a plenty.

Mark
Mark

You can always send me one of your Gas riggers that are collecting dust :lol: .

Tim K

Tim,You are right about the gas taking over thing..

Mark
Mark

You can always send me one of your Gas riggers that are collecting dust :lol: .

Tim K
How about a really nice Tether Boat.... :lol:great investment opertunity: price will go up as it is becoming an antique :p

On another note I believe the gulf coast is about to get "Hammered". Hope the folks get ready and/or get out, as it could be bad and we will have to go deliver stuff to L.E. in the area as we have been contacted already .

Mark

I love this thread, it has said alot of things that needed to be discussed. This is my first full year of racing and before I knew very little about rc boats. But Mike Starrett and Chriscrash got me going and I love it. I think we need younger people in this sport when you go to a race look around and you will see mostly middle aged men, (51 here). That is where rtr comes in, dads can get the son an rtr and he can race it and if he has support from other racers which I have found never to be a problem he will have fun and want to go bigger and faster, as you know that is a man thing..lol... The show idea is great but our club, Southern Indiana Prop Nuts has 6 or 7 members and would only occupy a 20 foot both in the mall BUT what if we did an all RC show? There are alot of great ideas here lets keep it up and come up with some plan of action. I think the IMPBA should get on here and get involved since we as members support them with our dues. And the more members the more dues. Another good point brought up is ponds to run on. This is a problem we have. We currently Run at Huber's Winery and it is a great place but access is very limited in that we can only run after 6:00 pm and we can not have bouys on the lake to practice with unless we place them and remove them each time we run. We have been trying to secure another lake for practice but it is very difficult to get permission from either a private owner or goverment branch. Lets keep this going I am learning alot and getting some great ideas.

A couple more observations.

Don't assume that fathers will only get "sons" involved. My daughter is only 5, but she's already been in her first "race". Granted, the kids were "racing" Reef Racers, and it was really just a free for all around a few buoys about 20 feet apart and 15 feet offshore, but I'm hoping she will continue. For another example, note the winner of the .18 RTR and Novice classes at our last district race: http://www.impba12.com/2008_odmba.html . Oh, and I would be remiss if I didn't also suggest noting the B mono winner. Kids, boys and girls, are definitely a part of the future of our hobby.

And second, let's remember that the "IMPBA" isn't a group of people sitting around in an office somewhere collecting our money, it is us. While there is a limited amount of compensation for some work, nobody in the IMPBA is making money from our dues. Nearly all the money goes toward insurance. Way more can be accomplished by members and clubs getting out and making contact with potential new members than anything the IMPBA can do with their limited funds.

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple more observations.
Don't assume that fathers will only get "sons" involved. My daughter is only 5, but she's already been in her first "race". Granted, the kids were "racing" Reef Racers, and it was really just a free for all around a few buoys about 20 feet apart and 15 feet offshore, but I'm hoping she will continue. For another example, note the winner of the .18 RTR and Novice classes at our last district race: http://www.impba12.com/2008_odmba.html . Oh, and I would be remiss if I didn't also suggest noting the B mono winner. Kids, boys and girls, are definitely a part of the future of our hobby.
And the winner of B mono was Tommy Crandall. Kicked azz on the old dogs two years in a row now. The hardest part it seems is getting the kids out there but once they've had a transmitter in their hands they usually get hooked, at least until that stage of youth when they first discover the opposite sex & dating. Seems to be a noticeable gap there for some odd reason..... :p

And second, let's remember that the "IMPBA" isn't a group of people sitting around in an office somewhere collecting our money, it is us. While there is a limited amount of compensation for some work, nobody in the IMPBA is making money from our dues. Nearly all the money goes toward insurance. Way more can be accomplished by members and clubs getting out and making contact with potential new members than anything the IMPBA can do with their limited funds.
Thank you Chuck for reminding people of this. There is only ONE paid position & that is the IMPBA secretary simply because it really is a full time obligation. The rest of us do it for FREE. No compensation whatsoever for the endless BS that goes on behind the scenes day to day. And yes the vast (and I do mean vast) majority of the money the IMPBA takes in goes towards insurance. Currently we (the IMPBA board) are looking at an option presented to us of hooking up with the AMA. So far this looks very promising in a multitude of ways, just need to iron out and clarify a few details & questions before we possibly take it to the next level. Stat tuned.............. B)

That should have read "Children" Since it almost seems to be more girls than guys involved at a young age, 2 at the nats and that I am aware of and 1 at Madison sorry the old age cells are kicking in on the name of the young lady at madison, Who I believe now is hooked. I know the IMPBA STAFF IS mostly unpaid but the people that are there I believe know the sport and would be a great voice to speak. Also the AMA IMPBA thing is possibly a great benefit and I hope works out.

Not to get off track here, But since it was brought up. If the IMPBA joins with the AMA are we paying dues to both? if it's only going to go to the AMA then what about the life members?

Not to get off track here, But since it was brought up. If the IMPBA joins with the AMA are we paying dues to both? if it's only going to go to the AMA then what about the life members?
Chill. That is minor in terms of things we are looking at, the members will be taken care of. And no, there will not be any "double dipping", that is something we've already talked about. B)

terry,

i won't speak for the ama but i think all will be taken care of for lifetime members and only one set of dues paid.. not both.

as for the topic.

i think alot of the issue's stem from lack of public recoginition. i got a pm from a gentlemen regarding this and he brought up some points of how to address this..

here is one problem. the towns around me and the town i live in don't support rc hobby's it is hard to try to go to public places aka schools parks ect pass around flyers and what not to get people possibly interested when nobody is interested.

don't get me wrong. i am sure there are a few car guy's around but how do you get the attention of people.

Where me and my buddy wally tests. we was all but told they side with fisherman if we don't like it leave. I HAVE NO WHERE ELSE TO GO. and driving 2.5hrs one way to test this summer killed in gas.

i guess by this topic i am looking for ways that can overcome some of the narrow minded people and try to address that our hobby is fun, rewarding and challanging. and hope to find some new people that would be interested in this as well

chris

Well I don't mine if I have to pay for the AMA, it was just something I was thinking about. as for the IMPBA becoming part of the AMA I personal think it would be great! Like some people have said they didn't even know about R/C boating and I think this would be great to expand our hobby.

To get back on track.

The things that I find most difficult is trying to find parts or remember who makes what. I don't know if it would be the right thing to do, But what about this site listing all the suppliers. I know that most of them have web sites. for instance I often forget about Don's Jackrabbit racing.

Just a thought to help some of the new people like myself find things much easer.

Latest posts

Back