question for the general public

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's funny this topic came up this weekend, yesterday i was at the last leg of the APBA Maryland cup for inboard hydroplpanes. Our club set up a display table with my boats and some others. We ran out of race flyers ( i printed 100 ), and was asked where could they purchase a entry class boat, gas boats, and there were countless people asking about geting back into the sport where to buy parts. TCH said it best, we should all make a effort to pick a Saturday to setup at a local hobby shop, or Mall, or even the nearest Wal-mart to get the word out. We could do this nationwide on the same day ie Saturday after thanksgiving when most of us are not working. The response would definitely put some new boaters into our clubs, money into the hobby shops/manufacturers,and grow our sport on a yearly basis. TV and video exposure on network and Public TV will assist in this effort. Metime productions has been the the unofficial historian of our sport,so let's get the dvd's out there to those who have never seen this sport. Give some out as gifts to schools, or raffle prizes at races to the spectators. I coach football and we recruit kids to play so take that same idea and recruit potential boaters if we are to grow and thrive!

I had a talk with a customer tonight. After a good long discussion we both said the same statement.
Less and Less mfg make things anymore and more and more people have to make things on there own.

SO I was curious.. Especially to hear from the LONG TIME BOATERS.

WHY IS THAT.

I know the usual. Less mfg.. less demand. yada yada yada.

What do we need to do to get our sport more main streamed. I found it interesting that he has been out of the hobby for a little while. He started up again about 4-5 months ago and was amazed at how limited parts and suppliers where or are.

I know for me i have come acustom to making my own stuff or having my father make it.. but what about the guys that don't have that option.

What can we do to get our sport in the SPOT LIGHT so to speak.. I know cars is the main focus with company's. Is there a way to get to that level. Or is our hobby so much more demanding that we will never be able to have the level of mfg support that cars and airplane guys have come ucustom to.

I no grim and hobbico are working on it. but one company can't do it all.. what else do we need to do to get the attention of company's so there are willing to produce products that we can use?

Just brain storming a bit here.

chris
Chris,

Get the MFGs involved more would help.. Let me expand...

Before I was working for Hobbico I was Outboard director for the IMPBA.. This was as you know during the hot topic of NOISE!...

During one of the phone meetings the question came up what do we do about the noise rule?

Disclaimer: During this time I was MFG stuff for the racing crowd but not tuned pipes. However on the BOD we did at that time have a person that did make pipes.. and darn good quiet ones at that.

I suggested how about getting the MFGs involved and have them make pipes that the IMPBA approves.. The pipe is stamped or marked and that is the pipe you must run. How its approved was not talked about yet but you get the idea.. Again.. not a perfect idea but then again…not bad when it comes to support for the industry as well.. Heck works for IFMAR! The first person to shoot down the idea was the pipe MFG?.. I was BLOWN AWAY.. The words were NO.. It ended there…

Just seems to me one MFG might have benefited for a push in that direction.. hell other MFGs of pipes might have jumped on board as well trying to get there pipe approved.. Truth is WHY NOT?

Get the MFGs involved.. let them get the support from the modelers….if they are strong then what happens.. Chris.. you tell me what would happen.. I bet you might be inclined to offer more products in the future. Maybe have the capitol to do this?. That would be nice wouldn’t it?

We have been a CULT Basement hobby for WAY TO LONG.. we are in our happy zone and are having a hard time dealing with change.. To me (and just me) we will have to change cuz the way it is now we are being forced to through the lack of MFG support.

In short the IMPBA needs to support the MFGs… Until that happens we are SOL..

Mike Z

I had a talk with a customer tonight. After a good long discussion we both said the same statement.
Less and Less mfg make things anymore and more and more people have to make things on there own.

SO I was curious.. Especially to hear from the LONG TIME BOATERS.

WHY IS THAT.

I know the usual. Less mfg.. less demand. yada yada yada.

What do we need to do to get our sport more main streamed. I found it interesting that he has been out of the hobby for a little while. He started up again about 4-5 months ago and was amazed at how limited parts and suppliers where or are.

I know for me i have come acustom to making my own stuff or having my father make it.. but what about the guys that don't have that option.

What can we do to get our sport in the SPOT LIGHT so to speak.. I know cars is the main focus with company's. Is there a way to get to that level. Or is our hobby so much more demanding that we will never be able to have the level of mfg support that cars and airplane guys have come ucustom to.

I no grim and hobbico are working on it. but one company can't do it all.. what else do we need to do to get the attention of company's so there are willing to produce products that we can use?

Just brain storming a bit here.

chris
Chris,

Get the MFGs involved more would help.. Let me expand...

Before I was working for Hobbico I was Outboard director for the IMPBA.. This was as you know during the hot topic of NOISE!...

During one of the phone meetings the question came up what do we do about the noise rule?

Disclaimer: During this time I was MFG stuff for the racing crowd but not tuned pipes. However on the BOD we did at that time have a person that did make pipes.. and darn good quiet ones at that.

I suggested how about getting the MFGs involved and have them make pipes that the IMPBA approves.. The pipe is stamped or marked and that is the pipe you must run. How its approved was not talked about yet but you get the idea.. Again.. not a perfect idea but then again…not bad when it comes to support for the industry as well.. Heck works for IFMAR! The first person to shoot down the idea was the pipe MFG?.. I was BLOWN AWAY.. The words were NO.. It ended there…

Just seems to me one MFG might have benefited for a push in that direction.. hell other MFGs of pipes might have jumped on board as well trying to get there pipe approved.. Truth is WHY NOT?

Get the MFGs involved.. let them get the support from the modelers….if they are strong then what happens.. Chris.. you tell me what would happen.. I bet you might be inclined to offer more products in the future. Maybe have the capitol to do this?. That would be nice wouldn't it?

We have been a CULT Basement hobby for WAY TO LONG.. we are in our happy zone and are having a hard time dealing with change.. To me (and just me) we will have to change cuz the way it is now we are being forced to through the lack of MFG support.

In short the IMPBA needs to support the MFGs… Until that happens we are SOL..

Mike Z
Mike IMPBA is NON Profit Organization. IMPBA cannot Endorse products & remain Non tax status. READ THE GUIDE LINES OF THE TAX STATUS. How ever they could make suggestions. IMPBA does Not even Suggest that members currently buy from the Known Dealers & Parts suppliers that supply Competiton parts to the Current membership....... & today it would cost them nothing. Being it is all internet published. jw

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe,

Thanks for the clarification.. and your right.. maybe thats why it got shot down.. I dont know...

Maybe we can never fix this as long as we are a non profit org...?

Never the less we do need the IMPBA to somehow help guide us. They are setting the rules and giving us very little guidance to help us run within them.

Its this kind of hull.. and this much displacement.. (bunch of tech stuff in-between) past that your on your own.. Hum.. how does a new boater deal with that? I do know one thing.... they are confused... i meet allot of possible new boaters in with my job.. they are very confused..

Thanks

Grim

Manufacturers are DEMAND driven.... (for example, as is now happening) if people arent buying gas-hog-vehicles what do the mfrs do?? Whether the buyers are IMPBA, NAMBA or non-members - its all about the the # of people/size of market. Too small, and mfrs dont move into the market because there isnt economy of scale/profits to justify it.

The same is (GENERALLY) true of city governance. IF there are alot of people clamoring for a lake to run on - guess what the city does??? Where I live (town of under 3,000) the city has built a park just for skateboarding and at "KI-SHISAGO DAYS" they had a special competition event going all day! Ironically, 200yds behind this is Chisago lake w/no boaters.... what IF there HAD been a race at this annual city event?! Now I realize there cant be a race at every event like this with our membership as small as it is but I' sure you can see the implications for growing the sport.

As for getting a lake to run on, that in large part, is dictated by how many want one... if your near to being solo in your area - GOOD LUCK! - but if there is a 100-200 people - the story could easily be different.... then you can lobby and pester til you get what you want.

I was the guy who PM'd Chris Woods.... I'll share what I did with him: There's very few kids who IF they see anything RC that is FAST that arent going to WANT one - AND are likely get it what they want - they are THE FUTURE! So here are some more thoughts suggestions for those interested....

High schools & colleges: They have 2 classes VERY relevant to RC boating.

1) Science classes (particularly physics) where things like "coefficients of drag" etc are taught. Teachers WANT real world examples to teach with (students learn better). All it takes is a call to offer to come in on the day they are covering a relevant topic. Once that relationship has been established, suggest the school class sponsor a boat.... Can you see Charlston SR High taking on the SAW record? :eek: :D (I used Charlston 'cause you got so many boaters in your area - 200+ boats for an event?!! :rolleyes: - the TV media better be there!)

2) Auto mechanics class (etc). Imagine telling the shop teacher you have a .21 sized motor (tiny!) that puts out 2+HP and turns 25000+ RPMS (hows that for FAST Mr Teacher?!) and will push a 3lb boat over 50-60 MPH. He just might want to invite you in! :D

This "getting the kids involved" effort can also be targeted to middle school teens (think the schools want "healthy activities" to encourage kids towards?). It can even extend all the way down to preschool for that matter - for the "bring in something interesting" days. Heck the preschool my son went to EVERY Thursday had a field trip where either they go some place interesting and some local organization would be bring in something interesting.... a couple weeks ago it was "Underwaterworld from the Mega Mall - they brought in different animals including a shark & Megladon teeth. That is ALL my son would talk about that day, and it has continued since - GUESS where I, the wife and son were this week end - USING a discount coupon they handed out (another EFFECTIVE marketing tool once someone has been exposed). So Underwater World's marketing succeeded in getting my son pumped up and making me spend $$$.... AND they didnt spend a penny per se.

Admittedly a 4-5 yr old isnt likely to get dad to buy a $1000 rigger but he WILL get him a small RTR to play with.... that is one role of RTR - cheap way to get into the game. IF the kid that "JUST HAS TO HAVE ONE" is older, then it is likely DAD (or mom) is going to get one too.... if they get invited to a club race... OMG now what?? Bottom-up marketing at its best.

My apologies for going on so long - all this from a nobody; it just appears that there are some who are looking for ways to get more people involved for MANY reasons (lakes to race on, more parts, more new faces, better racing).... so I'm giving some more ideas for consideration (I COULD go on :lol: ). Best wishes to all.

todd hollander

Mike IMPBA is NON Profit Organization. IMPBA cannot Endorse products & remain Non tax status. READ THE GUIDE LINES OF THE TAX STATUS. How ever they could make suggestions. IMPBA does Not even Suggest that members currently buy from the Known Dealers & Parts suppliers that supply Competiton parts to the Current membership....... & today it would cost them nothing. Being it is all internet published. jw
The Technical Standards section of the IMPBA rulebook contains a procedure that allows a manufacturer, or individual, to submit a hull and then, if it meets the requirements of the class, receive "an Official IMPBA Hull Classification". If we can do this for hulls, why can't we also have "an Official IMPBA Muffling Device Classification"? As long as the classification is done scientifically, and it's equally available to all manufacturers, it's not an endorsement, it's just a certificate confirming that the product complies to our published rules?

It's funny this topic came up this weekend, yesterday i was at the last leg of the APBA Maryland cup for inboard hydroplpanes. Our club set up a display table with my boats and some others. We ran out of race flyers ( i printed 100 ), and was asked where could they purchase a entry class boat, gas boats, and there were countless people asking about geting back into the sport where to buy parts. TCH said it best, we should all make a effort to pick a Saturday to setup at a local hobby shop, or Mall, or even the nearest Wal-mart to get the word out. We could do this nationwide on the same day ie Saturday after thanksgiving when most of us are not working. The response would definitely put some new boaters into our clubs, money into the hobby shops/manufacturers,and grow our sport on a yearly basis. TV and video exposure on network and Public TV will assist in this effort. Metime productions has been the the unofficial historian of our sport,so let's get the dvd's out there to those who have never seen this sport. Give some out as gifts to schools, or raffle prizes at races to the spectators. I coach football and we recruit kids to play so take that same idea and recruit potential boaters if we are to grow and thrive!
Hit the nail on the head, if people don't know we exist, they can't learn about rc boating. We also went to a craft/ hobby show in Blacksburg VA about a month ago and had my RTR proboat Miss Bud set up on the table with our dvds and a portable dvd player playing videos. 50,000 people, I personally talked to hundreds, gave out business cards, and tried selling our dvds. Now, with that being said, 90% of the people that walked by looked at the boat, half of them stopped for a second or two to look, 1/4 stopped, admired, that is sooo cool, I want one of those, and the other 1/4 wanted to buy my boat. We actually sold one crash dvd to a 3 year old, but hey you know what, I really didn't care about the video selling, but talking to all of those people generating interest was the main goal. So we are going to make a turning point in the direction we are taking Me Time Productions. In the near future we will be carrying RTR boats to the shows that we attend along with a dvd explaining what happens on the club level as well as the bigger events, how to contact local clubs and so forth. Also we will be contacting any hobby store within a 150 mile radius of a club, giving them the dvd to loop in their store and hopefully getting them all to carry boating products. We will still be going around to certain events taking pictures and getting more footage for the other dvds, but not so much the actual event dvds as we have in the past. Setting up at a business location is a great idea, the more exposure this hobby has, the more potential we have to grow. It doesn't have to be a hobby store, just somewhere, like wal-mart, that attracts alot of people. If the hobby grows as it should reaching this many people, the MFG have no choice but to offer the products or someone else will. IMO. The Internats dvd has to be finished before I can start the info dvd, so hopefully the hobby store dvd will be ready this winter. If you would like a copy of this dvd to take to your local hobby store please just ask, it will be in the mail to you next day. Anything the rc boating community can do to promote rc boating will help this hobby strive.

ps. The Sat. after Thanksgiving is a prime deer hunting day in my neck of the woods, but if this is going to be the National Day Out for Rc Boating, I will be on a street corner somewhere promoting the hobby :D

Doug

you'd think hobbico could come up with some muffled tuned pipes, that would be quiet, and inexpensive, in all sizes. couldn't keep em in stock

mike,

I agree 100% on the muffling issue.. i no about it like you do and TO ME and ME ONLY, it makes sence..

The one thing i think hurts use is cost of products and availability. It is hard to make things, sell them main stream and not have a 100,000 dollar pc of equipment to do it on. I know we are a smaller based hobby.. and maybe that is why until we get the numbers or volume of people that do this, it will continue to be hard to sell products cheaper and have mfg support of those products. Does that make sense?

You look at the classed we run. ALL hydro classes are boats that are hand built. The only boat produced in a mass volume is the HAWK. Everything else is made by people like myself andy, stu, brad, ralph and others.

So when someone see's this boat. OOOOHH i got to have one.. where do i get it.. well go talk to chris andy or whom ever. then they find out the cost. time frame to get one and so on. I know for me if i was starting in this hobby that would get VERY frustrating. but it is the nature of it unfortunatly. I can't build 100 boats and sell them for 200.00 each.

So i guess my question is what can we do to get mfg's to help with products. I know for large company's ( such as hobbico ) it is hard to justify making 200 parts that sell for 50.00 each when they can sell something that cost 25.00 and sell 100,000 of them.

I guess it all goes back to how do we get more main stream. Maybe the impba could look to mfg's for support in area's ( IF that is legal on there end ) maybe make more SPEC classes.. To me that was fun back in the car day's.. You take a car that cost 150.00 and everyone runs the same battery's motors ect. it is up to you to make the cars work within the rules. THAT is what it is all about. Making people think vs just buying what the top dog has.

I really don't know how else to go about any changes unless we find a way to get more main streamed.. maybe if the ama thing works out that will help as there are alot of eye's over on that side of the fence and might spark people that wouldn't normally see our sport and draw more interest.

chris

Chris,

We have to stop thinking of us as being small for starters.. True we are not a large as planes or cars but we have VERY GOOD presence.

IF.. the bodys that control RC boat racing would partner in some way with the MFGs you just might have your new machines to make your new products.

In the rooster tail…

Woods super duper #22 Qpipe is recommended and approved by the IMPBA for E and F class motors…

OR

IMPBA approved and recommended Q pipes for E and F class motors.

Woods #22 Super Duper Q pipe (www,woods.com)

Jimmy’s super Sausage Q pipe #345 (www.jimmyspipes.com)

Peter Norths Super Shooter pipe #9 (www.spraymasterpipes.com)

Click and ship.. done

Grim

I think you are right the IMPBA needs to promote the hobby or develope a plan to assist on the local level. This could only benefit the IMPBA and local clubs as it would I hope increase membership. I think the mall Idea is great I am going to contact the local flying clubs and car clubs and see if they would be interested in holding a weekend show at one of the local malls. Maybe even approch the local hobby shops and have them bring related Items for the public to see. This is a great hobby and worth getting the word out I know I am new to it but I love it. Maybe there should be a committe formed within the IMPBA to research this and to present its findings, such as cost and time frames

Chris,
We have to stop thinking of us as being small for starters.. True we are not a large as planes or cars but we have VERY GOOD presence.

IF.. the bodys that control RC boat racing would partner in some way with the MFGs you just might have your new machines to make your new products.

In the rooster tail…

Woods super duper #22 Qpipe is recommended and approved by the IMPBA for E and F class motors…

OR

IMPBA approved and recommended Q pipes for E and F class motors.

Woods #22 Super Duper Q pipe (www,woods.com)

Jimmy’s super Sausage Q pipe #345 (www.jimmyspipes.com)

Peter Norths Super Shooter pipe #9 (www.spraymasterpipes.com)

Click and ship.. done

Grim

Peter North's Super Shooter huh? Nice one Grim. :D :eek:

LOL PETER NORTH.. man grim we need to get you some evalutation lol.

I hear ya.. I don't think we are tiny as a group. but it is not like we are a huge org..

maybe if impba namba and other joined forces we could grow.. oh god did i bring that up again. lol

we can talk more about it this weekend.

chris

As I said earlier in this thread, it's sheer numbers and awareness, Russ and Grim know exactly what I mean. Just like Grim dragging me to Mendota a couple years ago, look what that started. I know I'm on the extreme side that's just me, but we have now created at least three new boaters in the past year and we have another new boater making Indy his first race this weekend. Think where we'd be if everyone in IMPBA would make it a point to recruit just one person a year. All it takes is a little time and effort.

BTW the Indy Masters will be covered and featured in Model Aviation Mag. (the official AMA monthly) Another way of creating awareness and hopefully intrest.

gh

Manufacturers are DEMAND driven.... (for example, as is now happening) if people arent buying gas-hog-vehicles what do the mfrs do?? Whether the buyers are IMPBA, NAMBA or non-members - its all about the the # of people/size of market. Too small, and mfrs dont move into the market because there isnt economy of scale/profits to justify it.
The same is (GENERALLY) true of city governance. IF there are alot of people clamoring for a lake to run on - guess what the city does??? Where I live (town of under 3,000) the city has built a park just for skateboarding and at "KI-SHISAGO DAYS" they had a special competition event going all day! Ironically, 200yds behind this is Chisago lake w/no boaters.... what IF there HAD been a race at this annual city event?! Now I realize there cant be a race at every event like this with our membership as small as it is but I' sure you can see the implications for growing the sport.

As for getting a lake to run on, that in large part, is dictated by how many want one... if your near to being solo in your area - GOOD LUCK! - but if there is a 100-200 people - the story could easily be different.... then you can lobby and pester til you get what you want.

I was the guy who PM'd Chris Woods.... I'll share what I did with him: There's very few kids who IF they see anything RC that is FAST that arent going to WANT one - AND are likely get it what they want - they are THE FUTURE! So here are some more thoughts suggestions for those interested....

High schools & colleges: They have 2 classes VERY relevant to RC boating.

1) Science classes (particularly physics) where things like "coefficients of drag" etc are taught. Teachers WANT real world examples to teach with (students learn better). All it takes is a call to offer to come in on the day they are covering a relevant topic. Once that relationship has been established, suggest the school class sponsor a boat.... Can you see Charlston SR High taking on the SAW record? :eek: :D (I used Charlston 'cause you got so many boaters in your area - 200+ boats for an event?!! :rolleyes: - the TV media better be there!)

2) Auto mechanics class (etc). Imagine telling the shop teacher you have a .21 sized motor (tiny!) that puts out 2+HP and turns 25000+ RPMS (hows that for FAST Mr Teacher?!) and will push a 3lb boat over 50-60 MPH. He just might want to invite you in! :D

This "getting the kids involved" effort can also be targeted to middle school teens (think the schools want "healthy activities" to encourage kids towards?). It can even extend all the way down to preschool for that matter - for the "bring in something interesting" days. Heck the preschool my son went to EVERY Thursday had a field trip where either they go some place interesting and some local organization would be bring in something interesting.... a couple weeks ago it was "Underwaterworld from the Mega Mall - they brought in different animals including a shark & Megladon teeth. That is ALL my son would talk about that day, and it has continued since - GUESS where I, the wife and son were this week end - USING a discount coupon they handed out (another EFFECTIVE marketing tool once someone has been exposed). So Underwater World's marketing succeeded in getting my son pumped up and making me spend $$$.... AND they didnt spend a penny per se.

Admittedly a 4-5 yr old isnt likely to get dad to buy a $1000 rigger but he WILL get him a small RTR to play with.... that is one role of RTR - cheap way to get into the game. IF the kid that "JUST HAS TO HAVE ONE" is older, then it is likely DAD (or mom) is going to get one too.... if they get invited to a club race... OMG now what?? Bottom-up marketing at its best.

My apologies for going on so long - all this from a nobody; it just appears that there are some who are looking for ways to get more people involved for MANY reasons (lakes to race on, more parts, more new faces, better racing).... so I'm giving some more ideas for consideration (I COULD go on :lol: ). Best wishes to all.

todd hollander
Todd,

Get ahold of your City Gov't and find out what it would take to have a race as part of their festival. The Twin Cities Club does a race as part of White Bear Lake's city festival, and also does a race that is during the Isanti County fair.

Larry

Yeah now that I've opened my mouth, I guess I cant just sit back & chide everyone else to do the work! (D-mit) :D :lol:

I WILL contact the 3 local towns to see what can be done - they are all connected, as you know, on the same HWY. For those who dont have lakes to run on.... We have 6 of them on a 6 miles stretch of Hwy (good ole land of 10000!) BTW there is also a just PERFECT sized pond as you enter Chisago (on the north side) that the city (and whoever) puts a track on so motorcycles can race on the ice in winter. They are WAY louder than a boat - AND you have all the traffic passing by (ADVERTISING). I'd think if they let a bike club do that on the pond... still looking for a good pond for the D6 club?!! :D

todd

I think the primary way to grow the hobby is through STRONG and ACTIVE local clubs!!!!! I have been racing boats since about 1977 or 78. When I first got into racing boats it was outboards and we developed an active club in Birmingham and had one of the premiere races in the country.

Now we have NO club and only 2 of us that race. When clubs fail whether it is bickering or loosing a lake due to urban growth vary few will stay in the sport. It takes a lot of effort to compete and many are unwilling to continue to do so once the club folds. It is the mutal help and shareing of knowledge that keeps people in the hobby.

Here is the list of clubs that have come and gone or on the brink of disappearing in District V: Birmingham, Memphis, Huntsville, Mobile, New O(SGRA), Jackson TENN( struggling but still present).

So if you want to grow the sport it has to be through local clubs. With a strong local club everything else will fall into place. Hobby stores will then know where to send new prospects.

BTW, In the early days we had to go to the Indy race not only to have a great time, BUT this was place to get ones hardware, parts and boats. In fact Hobby Poxy people would come in their motor home and would fix broken boats and do demonstrations of how to use their products.

GONE ARE THE GOOD OLD DAYS!!!!!!!!! NO ONE is willing to do what it takes to compete. They just want to BUY it and RUN IT, and IT can be anything from planes , cars or boats. We have lost the TRUE MODELERS. WE used to scratch build our hydros and some still do, ie Mark Bullard and others.

Today we have the finest boats, radios and motors, FAR BETTER than in the good old days. But it still takes some effort to compete and many are unwilling to put the effort out.

That is where a srtong club helps with knowledge and support. Dr.T

I think the primary way to grow the hobby is through STRONG and ACTIVE local clubs!!!!! I have been racing boats since about 1977 or 78. When I first got into racing boats it was outboards and we developed an active club in Birmingham and had one of the premiere races in the country. Now we have NO club and only 2 of us that race. When clubs fail whether it is bickering or loosing a lake due to urban growth vary few will stay in the sport. It takes a lot of effort to compete and many are unwilling to continue to do so once the club folds. It is the mutal help and shareing of knowledge that keeps people in the hobby.

Here is the list of clubs that have come and gone or on the brink of disappearing in District V: Birmingham, Memphis, Huntsville, Mobile, New O(SGRA), Jackson TENN( struggling but still present).

So if you want to grow the sport it has to be through local clubs. With a strong local club everything else will fall into place. Hobby stores will then know where to send new prospects.

BTW, In the early days we had to go to the Indy race not only to have a great time, BUT this was place to get ones hardware, parts and boats. In fact Hobby Poxy people would come in their motor home and would fix broken boats and do demonstrations of how to use their products.

GONE ARE THE GOOD OLD DAYS!!!!!!!!! NO ONE is willing to do what it takes to compete. They just want to BUY it and RUN IT, and IT can be anything from planes , cars or boats. We have lost the TRUE MODELERS. WE used to scratch build our hydros and some still do, ie Mark Bullard and others.

Today we have the finest boats, radios and motors, FAR BETTER than in the good old days. But it still takes some effort to compete and many are unwilling to put the effort out.

That is where a srtong club helps with knowledge and support. Dr.T
I agee with the statment that it takes local clubs to keep the hobbie going. I have been doing the boat thing since the late 70's started with a Dumas sport 40 with and airplane radio the my wife bought me for Christmas, and man I thought it was fast untill I met Steve Ball from the Ft. Wayne club. An we went to a race in Toledo, Ohio. needless to say I did not finish first, but it was a great learning lesson.

Walt Barney :D

With all these thoughts in mind, this is one of these reasons that we are hosting "Tech Sessions" on Friday and Saturday nights at the Masters in Indy this coming weekend. Topics will include boat set up and customizing props. Many years ago the Indy club used to have these sessions after club meetings and the information that was passed was much more than what you could read on a screen. In helping each other, it brings the level up for all of us.

I was asked by Larry in an earlier post to contact the local cities about promoting our hobby/sport. I just called the Chisago City Hall and asked who would be the coordinator for "Ki-sago Days". The receptionist said is was the park's dept administrator, and transferred me to her (Doris). I asked Doris if she had ever heard of or seen RC boating (No), so I asked if she was familiar with RC planes, cars, heli's (Yes).

So I gave her a brief overview of the range in sizes and speeds. Then I told her my neighbors had seen my boat and were also suprised/amazed there were such things because they'd never seen them before. So I told her I and some members from the nearest club would like to expose the people who attend "Ki-Sago Days" with some boat racing of various sizes/types at the lake behind the skateboarding area and "Would this be feasible"? She said she thought the idea would be "Wonderful" (her words :eek: ) and that each year they are "looking to bring in something new for attendees". She asked if the boaters would be insured (I explained IMPBA) and she asked that we come in at their next mtg (in Jan) to give the council what days we would want to be at the lake, the times, etc ;) . She also said they are a small committee "stretched thin" - "Would we be able to set up things on our own" (Yes). Then I asked her what other area annual events might we be able to participate in and how would we contact those who coordinate those events (and she happily provided 5 more :eek: ). So now if I can get the a few D6ers to work with me and participate next summer (and I'm sure they will), we can expose perhaps 10,000 people who have never seen an RC boat before <_< .

Now I'm posting this to encourage other boaters - if I can do it, so can you. And IF 1 or 2 calls by me can set in motion one event (more if I pursue the others she suggested) that exposes thousands to RC Boating, what can our current membership really do? :blink: It not up to us to look to the club officers - it's up to us, the individual boaters to determine the viability of this sport. IF you want MORE parts, BETTER RTR choices, MORE lakes to run on, MORE clubs & people to run with, this is how it needs to be done ;) !

I wouldnt be suprised that after next summer's event we will have some new boaters up here, and can eventually get the city to allocate & support a designated RC boating area on one of the local lakes. :ph34r:

BTW: I DO agree about the need for club support for retaining members, sharing knowledge etc.... I'm going to NEED club help next summer - look silly racing myself (but hey I'd finally get a TROPHY)! :lol:

Latest posts

Back