Question About O.S. XM Water Cooled Engine

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just bought an aircooled for 3 beans. I'm gonna put a water cooled head on it and the muffler too! :D
Glad to see you still know how to stir that barrell!!!!!..... ;) Now go and get it ready for the WTC. You want to borrow a LeeCraft????........ :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
I will say this, Larry C is right. That is how the rules of IMPBA sport tunnel read. See for yourself everyone. Now it sounds to me we all have common sence to run either version as they appear to "look stock", and yes Grim that rule needs a changing. It's when a guy shows up at a race and runs a OS carb on a TT in the stock class, that gets me going.... Then I'm the azz for saying something.

TL
the funniest part of that is the new tt carbs will perform just as well if not better than the o.s carb......just sayin :rolleyes: ...........

i find it ammusing that the guys running the o.s are the ones having an issue with this......its simple.... the water cooled version has been discontinued as usual by o.s..... they obviously found a better way to get them to run..... without being able to get the water cooled version anymore it seems all of them should be converted... so whats the big deal here really,,im interested in knowing...... its no different than buying a air cooled engine.......all in all,,,, this is exactly why i dont race... to much speculation,, it takes a toll.....

After reading the rule more, theres really nothing wrong with doing what hes saying. Its not like hes only changing one certain part out, he changing the entire motor. (or the water- cooled peices and adding the air cooled pieces in their place.) as long as he doesnt just change one part, this is legal with IMPBA standards.

- Brandon

i find it ammusing that the guys running the o.s are the ones having an issue with this......its simple.... the water cooled version has been discontinued as usual by o.s..... they obviously found a better way to get them to run..... without being able to get the water cooled version anymore it seems all of them should be converted... so whats the big deal here really,,im interested in knowing...... its no different than buying a air cooled engine.......all in all,,,, this is exactly why i dont race... to much speculation,, it takes a toll.....
Just waite till they come out with a dedicated air version and a guy buys that and some one else shows up with a converted water cooled to air cooled version!!!!! Then the poop will hit the fan :eek: This to me is the problem with sport class, you are going to try and get away with what you can... Now if it was a stock class can't touch any part of it the rules would be easier to enforce, but that would require a tear down and no one wants that....

I still have not made it to a race but when I do I just want to have fun :D

After reading the rule more, theres really nothing wrong with doing what hes saying. Its not like hes only changing one certain part out, he changing the entire motor. (or the water- cooled peices and adding the air cooled pieces in their place.) as long as he doesnt just change one part, this is legal with IMPBA standards.

- Brandon
It's still interchanging parts from one model to another.........

- Brandon
It's still interchanging parts from one model to another.........
Though, the internals of each motor are the same. O.S. kinda made an illegal motor themselves because it is also just a converted water cooled motor. I say just let him run it. It's not amping up the performance of a regular O.S. stock air cooled unless that water cooled/ air cooled case is already modded "legally". These rules for sport are confusing with how they're written, i say re- write them.

- Brandon.

I say leave em alone and run the **** thing. If people are oh so worried about a "performance" advantage from switching BOTH PIECES out, then go buy a V2 yourself so you can think that your now equal. Who cares. Run it. If it appears stock from the cav plate up, with a motor that is on the market, then who cares. Run the boats and have fun.

brandon,,the v2 will outrun the v1 stock for stock,, out of the box.,,,jerry dunlap could attest to this.....that is why people get all upset...thats my take on things...ive seen the v2 run on a lynx and its simple ,,its a weapon...

brandon,,the v2 will outrun the v1 stock for stock,, out of the box.,,,jerry dunlap could attest to this.....that is why people get all upset...thats my take on things...ive seen the v2 run on a lynx and its simple ,,its a weapon...
Its faster because it runs hotter and has a muffler that, with the addition of the wider tuning band, acts more like a tuned pipe. Add these two items, (you need to add BOTH to be legal in B Stock), to a v1 and remove the cooling line and fitting, and you have the same engine...... ;)

It's all about the extended exhaust. You can have your finned air cooled heads. In cooler climates finned heads over cool the engine and they won't build the heat required to really turn on, and will run very inconsistantly.My aircooled K&B's absolutely screamed in August when the air and water temps were both above 80F. The rest of the season, they only ran well enough to finish heats. With a water cooled head you can restrict the flow or remove it completely to compensate for water and air temperature changes. OS really missed the boat not fitting the extended exhaust to the water cooled version before dropping it.

I don't, I also very seldom race IMPBA Sport Outboard class. If the extended exhaust increases the performance as much as is being said by those who have run them I'll have no problem running against the piped boats, in B tunnel with a water cooled head on it if the air cooled one doesn't cut it. My Nemesis, Lynx,and Vision all use OS lower units. 4 bolts and a throttle cable connection is all it takes to swap between my OS,Mac, and RB/Nova power heads. So many choices, such a short Summer. :D

This is a copied reply that I sent to Larry via PM, in most of its entirety.

This is the way I see it. Seems pretty simple to me....

The way I see it is pretty simple. As long as you have both the air cooled head, and muffler extension, the motor should be legal, regardless if it started out as a water cooled at some point. That seems like a direct violation of the rules, and technically it would be. However, there is absolutely no way to tell the rest of the parts between air cooled and water cooled. There is no way to police it, in other words.

Now, if someone shows up with a water cooled head, with the muffler extension (or vice versa) it would most definitely be illegal, and should not be allowed to run. The tech inspector/CD there at the race (and every race) is who makes that call.

Since these two parts (as far as I know) are the only difference between to the two versions (aside from a water pickup/no water pickup), there really is no dilemma. You either have the full water cooled/stock muffler configuration or you have the full air cooled/extended set-up. There is no in between.

Hope that helps.

Back