Question About O.S. XM Water Cooled Engine

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gotcha rod,,,,,thanks for chimin in buddy,,,,,as u know i dont race so i dont really read the rule books....i do think it could benefit from a turned down v2 head..

What Beau proposes to do is legal in NAMBA for stock A-OPC. The Engine became legal in NAMBA the day after the 2011 NAMBA Nationals (as Jerry said) The parts between the same motor manufacturer are legal to interchange in Stock OPC. (as Lohring said).

Bring it on Beau... First race is in three weeks.

Robert

beau,,, its gonna be legal.... buy up some parts and let it fly..... no different than buying a v 2 and running it,, just like you said.......

........in both NAMBA and IMPBA races....... :) Just don't mix and match those three parts on the engine as is was never available that way from OS so that is obviously not allowed in IMPBA....(such as Version II muffler with Version 1 water cooled engine).

i can agree with that ron.....but what would be the point??? you want that air cooled head on them engines.... im curious to know if its legal to remove some fin from the v 2 head.???????? :huh:
Only point would be if someone were trying to make use of the better pipe on the water cooled engine, or the older pipe on the air cooled engine. That would not be allowed as the engine was never sold or shipped with that configuration from OS and would be illegal for sure. If it's stock, then no changes or modifications to the box stock engine are allowed. Must remain stock and use all of the same pieces and parts as factory. OS used most of the same parts on both engines, so whichever version you are running, I or II, it must have all of the same parts as the version you are running had from OS to be legal. To Lohring's point, K&B shipped all different versions of their engines. As long as you assemble all of the pieces and put together an engine as it was once available and shipped from K&B, it's legal.

Last edited by a moderator:
beau,,, its gonna be legal.... buy up some parts and let it fly..... no different than buying a v 2 and running it,, just like you said.......

........in both NAMBA and IMPBA races....... :) Just don't mix and match those three parts on the engine as is was never available that way from OS so that is obviously not allowed in IMPBA....(such as Version II muffler with Version 1 water cooled engine).

i can agree with that ron.....but what would be the point??? you want that air cooled head on them engines.... im curious to know if its legal to remove some fin from the v 2 head.???????? :huh:
Only point would be if someone were trying to make use of the better pipe on the water cooled engine. That would not be allowed as the engine was never sold that way from OS. If it's stock, then no changes or modifications to the box stock engine are allowed. Must remain stock and use all of the same pieces and parts as factory. OS used most of the same parts on both engines, so whichever version you are running, I or II, it must have all of the same parts as the version you are running had from OS.........
Exactly. The rules were put in place to prevent running the O.S. water cooled head with the extended exhaust, or taking the K&B SS air cooled head and putting it on the water cooled engine with the exhaust foot. So switching to the O.S. air cooled head and extended exhaust would be perfectly fine because you can buy the engine that way from the manufacturer.

And as far as IMPBA rules go, you can't modify anything on the outside of the engine above the cavitation plate (ex. removing fins from the head). Below the cav plate is fair game though so cut the skeg up however you like.

-Mitch

The last two posts sum up what should/will happen as far as IMPBA is concerned. Thanks for keeping it civil.

We all know..it would be hard to identify if somebody updated there old OS to the new parts..

having said this according to IMPBA rules one can not mix and match parts.

I see this as a simple understanding.. with the difficulty of proving that my air cooled motor really is an air cooled motor (for those that to follow the rule)

Barring any costing involved... the IMPBA does not mention costing or how much or how little it might or should cost to race or update. (I know that makes this tougher for some.. but just a fact)

Its going to be a little sticky but Im sure we will get past it.. besides there is always the possibly of somebody submitting a rule change.. one does have that right.

Grim

submitting a rule change.. one does have that right.

Grim
Whats that? :p

I've been thinking about submitting one of those myself to address another matter that needs to be corrected!!!!!.......... :eek:

...and in the words of Forest Gump, "That's all I'm going to say about that."........
And, as Forrest so elequantly stated while jogging through that small town in Montana, "Sxxx Happens." I don't know how you could enforce the IMPBA rule regarding switching out the aircooled head and extended muffler and convert a Ver. I to a Ver II. If I were to show up at Hobart next September with a Ver. I motor converted to a Ver. II motor, there's no way to verify the Ver. I was "upgraded" to a Ver. II.

Seems like forcing a guy to buy a whole new engine just so he can have two new parts that are now available is a bit unfair. However, I understand "Rules are rules." I also understand that rules can be changed.

JD

I will say this, Larry C is right. That is how the rules of IMPBA sport tunnel read. See for yourself everyone. Now it sounds to me we all have common sence to run either version as they appear to "look stock", and yes Grim that rule needs a changing. It's when a guy shows up at a race and runs a OS carb on a TT in the stock class, that gets me going.... Then I'm the azz for saying something.

TL

Aww hell... almost made it through the winter without the "sport" scrap.... Apparantly O.E.M. aint O.E.M.?.. if the lower and whatever else is the same minus the pickup, and the head... whats the deal?.... Theres really no way to enforce/identify a switch out anyway..... ( well, maybe)...... Integrity, surely, having say, an 06 engine... and you know it..... i've done A/C versions from kb to nova, and back, and the performance gain vs W/C was nominal to non existent..... in actuality, the consistency of the air cooled versions sucked.... figure out how to keep the lower from cooling any powerhead exponentially.... theres the task...... switch 'em out... or dont.... the parts are the same......... has anybody really seen the V2 OS just massacre the class anyway?.... come on..... dwindling clubs and low race/class attendance.... keep the anality going men..... I resurrected a sport entry late last fall...... it's all Taiwan.... now.... lets race.

"The engine external parts shall remain as originally manufactured within

series except as shown in Part 4. Clarification: No water-cooled engine parts

shall be used with air-cooled engine parts. Common engine parts that are used

on both engines models may be interchanged. Slide valve exhaust adapters

may not be used with carburetor equipped engines."

IMPBA rule book, section H-11, rule 3

As long as the parts you interchange between motors are the same, it is perfectly legal.

But, switching the air cooled muffler to the water cooled or vice versa, is considered illegal.

-Brandon.

How would you know
Truthfully, you wouldn't know. Lol, so it could be considered legal since theres no "noticable" differences.

Though, in saying that. Just because someone doesn't know or you can't tell/ see, that does not make it legal. I, would say it's legal because i see no harm in doing it, it saves money.

But just based on personal opinions, it does not change the fact of that if someone were to protest it and someone looked at it very closely and they could tell it was not the factory built motor, it would be considered illegal. No matter what.
I have rebuilt my O.S. motors(No, really, Geraghty doesn't do everything for me). When I reassemble it, it's JD built, not factory built. Wet and cold out here in Western Washington. Might as well keep something hot going. :D

JD

Just bought an aircooled for 3 beans. I'm gonna put a water cooled head on it and the muffler too! :D

Back