Question About O.S. XM Water Cooled Engine

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beau Parsons

With Tower Hobbies not stocking the water cooled version any longer, I have a thought why can't you buy the extension muffler, and air cooled head from the Version 2 O.S. motor and swap out the air cooled head and extension to the water cooled motor, isnt this basically making the water cooled version now a Version 2? I have heard that all the internal components are the same within both motors? So why spend the money on buying a Version 2, if you can buy the parts from tower for roughly 100.00 dollars and you basically have a Versions 2. This is just a thought any help would be great in answering my questions.

Thanks Beau Parsons

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats correct Beau. You can simply order the air-cooled head and muffler with the wider tuning band and you are all set. I think the rules keep you from running parts from on on the other so you would simply need to remove the water pick-up that would no longer be required and you would be all set. They are still shipping the lowers on the air cooled versions with the hole in the cavitation plate so this would not be an infraction....... ;)

It won't be legal for IMPBA Sport outboard tunnel. IMPBA rules clearly state that water cooled engine parts cannot be used with air cooled engine parts .Section H page 11 Engine Specifications #3

Beau, I have both versions, and to tell you since version 1 came out I have never run water throught the engines at all period, they just dont heat up enough to bother at our altitude and temp in the summer, even running down in vegas in the dead heat of the summer, I still did not hook up the water line. It was about time o.s. turned it into an aircooled engine and running version 2 at about 20 laps I can pull it in and hold on to the cooling head with out getting burned at all, they just run very cold period. Spending the money on an upgrade is the best way to go. Talk to you later.

Shane

It won't be legal for IMPBA Sport outboard tunnel. IMPBA rules clearly state that water cooled engine parts cannot be used with air cooled engine parts .Section H page 11 Engine Specifications #3
Hi Larry,

If I took the muffler and aircooled head off my Ver. II engine, stuck them on one of my Ver. I engines, and removed the water intake tube - you could not tell the difference. Well, at least I cannot tell the difference.

JD

Hi Larry,

If I took the muffler and aircooled head off my Ver. II engine, stuck them on one of my Ver. I engines, and removed the water intake tube - you could not tell the difference. Well, at least I cannot tell the difference.

JD
I'd hate to run into that guy at a race!!! JK Larry I was wondering about that.. But like JD says how you going to tell the difference???

On another note you can pick the water cooled version up in the scratch and dent part of tower for 360 "discontinued model,, nothing wrong with them" minus $50 and free shipping for a grand total of 310!!!!

Hi Larry,

JD
it all boils down to basic honesty & integrity. i can build a killer air/water cooled k&b mix that can't be discovered unless torn down, but have never raced it..........

I do agree this is not Namba legal, I am just asking if the parts are compatible why spend the extra money to buy the Version 2? I gues why spend money if you dont have to? Why does anybody even buy the version 2 if all you can do is a 100.00 dollar swap? and basically have a Version 2 on a water cooled version? Just my thoughts

Hi Larry,

JD
I do agree this is not Namba legal, I am just asking if the parts are compatible why spend the extra money to buy the Version 2? I gues why spend money if you dont have to? Why does anybody even buy the version 2 if all you can do is a 100.00 dollar swap? and basically have a Version 2 on a water cooled version? Just my thoughts
Jerry,

I agree. The rules are to keep parts that were CHANGED from one engine to another to not be used. I compared my two versions as well and the head, muffler, and removal of the cooling lines and fittings are the only difference. If you order parts for the new engine, these will be the only difference. If you order parts for the old engine, the parts will come from the same bins as the new engines, except for these two parts. The lower still has the hole in the cavitation plate for the fitting. Even if they change it today, since they actually shipped the air cooled engines this way, no one can can win by challenging you.

Beau, change the head, remove the fittings from the lower, add the new muffler, and go to the races. There will be NO one that can win a protest against you because of the facts above in NAMBA or IMPBA. OS created the issue by not making changes other than these two parts............ ;)

As I understand the NAMBA stock outboard rules, parts from any of a manufacturer's engines can be interchanged. We did that with K&B engines for years. I still have some of the small K&B flywheels.

"For the stock classes, the engine’s parts must remain as originally

manufactured for that brand, size, and style engine. No modifications are

permitted. Interchanging of parts from one series or edition to another is legal

as long as the parts used were made by the manufacturer of the engine and

were used on their outboard engines."

Lohring Miller

Hi Larry,

JD
Jerry,

I agree. The rules are to keep parts that were CHANGED from one engine to another to not be used. I compared my two versions as well and the head, muffler, and removal of the cooling lines and fittings are the only difference. If you order parts for the new engine, these will be the only difference. If you order parts for the old engine, the parts will come from the same bins as the new engines, except for these two parts. The lower still has the hole in the cavitation plate for the fitting. Even if they change it today, since they actually shipped the air cooled engines this way, no one can can win by challenging you.

Beau, change the head, remove the fittings from the lower, add the new muffler, and go to the races. There will be NO one that can win a protest against you because of the facts above in NAMBA or IMPBA. OS created the issue by not making changes other than these two parts............ ;)
Hey Ron, If you show up to a race that Beau is entered in, you will know...Will you protest it like you did John Otto's .45 that is legal?

Beau, I didn't write the IMPBA rule book, I'm just a CD at some of the local club races. If O.S. had released the water cooled version of the engine with the extended exhaust housing, there wouldn't be an issue.

Hi Larry,

JD
Jerry,

Hey Ron, If you show up to a race that Beau is entered in, you will know...Will you protest it like you did John Otto's .45 that is legal?

Beau, I didn't write the IMPBA rule book, I'm just a CD at some of the local club races. If O.S. had released the water cooled version of the engine with the extended exhaust housing, there wouldn't be an issue.
Oh, has there been an official NAMBA ruling that I don't know about? Last I heard it was still waiting on NAMBA officials to make a ruling.

Hi Larry,

JD
Hi Jerry,

They fit like they were meant to be there. :D As Lohring posted it is NAMBA legal, it's just IMPBA Sport Tunnel boaters that would be operating outside the written class rules.

Hi Larry,

JD
Jerry,

Oh, has there been an official NAMBA ruling that I don't know about? Last I heard it was still waiting on NAMBA officials to make a ruling.
The O.S. 21 Ver. II was legal for NAMBA A OPC the day after the 2011 NAMBA Nats was completed at Legg Lake. However, there might not have been any notification of this through an official NAMBA publication.

JD

beau,,, its gonna be legal.... buy up some parts and let it fly..... no different than buying a v 2 and running it,, just like you said.......

beau,,, its gonna be legal.... buy up some parts and let it fly..... no different than buying a v 2 and running it,, just like you said.......

........in both NAMBA and IMPBA races....... :) Just don't mix and match those three parts on the engine as is was never available that way from OS so that is obviously not allowed in IMPBA....(such as Version II muffler with Version 1 water cooled engine).

........in both NAMBA and IMPBA races....... :) Just don't mix and match those three parts on the engine as is was never available that way from OS so that is obviously not allowed in IMPBA....(such as Version II muffler with Version 1 water cooled engine).

i can agree with that ron.....but what would be the point??? you want that air cooled head on them engines.... im curious to know if its legal to remove some fin from the v 2 head.???????? :huh:

Back