prototype origin

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike farrell

I am building 2007 U1 formula boat the hull was a proboat hull bought it brand new on ebay for 450.00 engine went in blazer lauterbach and put a 67 greenhead in the formula moved radiobox to cockpit and have seethrough cockpit with driver, looks good and believe it or not it handles and runs fast, I race with gas sport hydros to get race experience. I want to race 1/8th scale IMPBA and have paperwork filled out except for the blank that asks for design of prototype does any one know the real boat hull maker. I think all late model unlimited boat look simular, somebody told me they thought it was a jones, I can't find anything on line so anybody give me something or somewhere to go?

Hey Mike! The '07 U-1 Formulaboats.com was originally built by Fred Leland & company as hull # 9399. It first ran as KISW/ Miss Rock & after that it ran with about a dozen other names on it with several different drivers. Hope this helps!

Larry

Larry I am thinking the 2007 hull was a hydroplane Inc built boat Hydroplane Inc would be the Protype designer. Back in 04 and 05 they had a Leland hull

I have the latest Hydroplane Who's Who and it says in 07 two different boats raced as U-1 the 9601 and the 9299.9 I got the book from the HARM it has everything from 1946 to 2010

Hey Guys! First off, I have to say I was surprised when I heard how many hulls Porter had for sale. I always thought he just bought the retired Bud stuff. I was registrar for UNW for about ten years & keeping track of different hulls thru the mid '90s was relatively easy. I don't know how anybody keeps track today with the shell game that owners & sponsors are playing. These days I have given up & rely pretty heavily on the RCU Master Hull Roster since some of those guys are privvy to some team info that most of us never hear about. So - with that said - Here we go.

Mikes original post stated he was doing the '07 U-1 Formula boat. The only U-1 Formulaboats.com hull that I can find in the MHR is the Leland 9399. Leland hull 9299 was the '05 U-5, Hydros Inc 9601 (T-5) was the '06- U-7 & Hydros Inc 0001 (T-6) was the '06-'08 U-5. There is one other mystery - the U-57. The MHR shows the former '92 Coors Dry hull as the 2010 U-57 which may be true if it ran as a one-race back-up or something but that boat is still owned by Mike & Lori Jones. So now I wonder which U-57 hull The Evans brothers bought - maybe the 9299 or ?

My hull looks like the first picture Joe, it's a horizon hobby proboat 1/8th scale zenoha powered boat originaly, someone told me at the begining of the 2007 season the U5 boat was changed to the U1 and that is my boat and later and older boat was painted as U1 to drag around as a promo show boat.

The u-57 boat that the Evans Bros now have was originally the "Lobster" Winston. It was converted to a conventional hull once Jim Lucero gave up on the Lobster concept.

Hope that helps.

Back