Prather Products Out of Business?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OH, I FOUND STARTING BELTS @ THE SEWING MACHINE STORE (WHICH I WASN'T SUPRISED TO FIND THAT THEY CAME IN DIFFERENT SIZES FOR FIITNG TO YOUR BOAT FROM .21 TO 1.0 OR WHATEVER, THE TOOTH PATTERN IS EVEN A LITTLE MORE FLAT, WHICH MAKES IT EASIER TO SLIDE UNDERNEATH YOUR FLYWHEEL B) ..

I was going to say that, kind of. I went to a sewing machine shop and found the exact same belts that Prather sell. I then went to another and the repair guy had a box full of used belts off trade-ins and repairs. I got a fist full of them for about $3.00 . Most were only worn on the sides but fit the flywheel grooves better.

I've still got their cable grease but switched over the to grease that Mark Sholund sells.

OH, I FOUND STARTING BELTS @ THE SEWING MACHINE STORE (WHICH I WASN'T SUPRISED TO FIND THAT THEY CAME IN DIFFERENT SIZES FOR FIITNG TO YOUR BOAT FROM .21 TO 1.0 OR WHATEVER, THE TOOTH PATTERN IS EVEN A LITTLE MORE FLAT, WHICH MAKES IT EASIER TO SLIDE UNDERNEATH YOUR FLYWHEEL B) ..

Richard,

If you have a brand name and stock numbers of these belts to pass on to us all it would help in getting them. Always easier asking for a brand name and stock # when you go into a store.

I recall that Ron Olson has gotten a handful of them from a service repair shop in his area. Maybe be can also help with some names and numbers.

We take a lot for granted sometimes in our supply stores and manufacturers. When we lose one, especially a major one, it can hurt. The only boat hobby shop in my area, Randy's Hobby Shop, in Mt. Pleasant, SC, CLOSED in January for good. They are clearing out some leftover inventory on ebay but the storefront is gone. A lot of racers in the entire region used them for many supply items.

John

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the fuel line is out of stock at Tower. I did not think I cared if they went out of business till you mentioned the fuel line. ****. I was going to buy another roll of medium and large. They do have small in stock but not for long. I still have enough for a couple of years. Almost full rolls.Mike
I have & brand new roll of Prather medium that I'd trade for a new roll of Prather large. B)

I went to a Viking dealership to get mine but check out whatever ones that you have in the area. If there's a man in the repair shop, drag along a boat to show him what the belts are going to be used for. The first shop that I went to had the belts but were more expensive than what the LHS wanted for them.

Ron I have lots of the 3/16 inch prop nuts it's the 1/4 inch ones that are out of stock until 2008.

Zuber's Prop nuts

Maybe I'd better leave those packages of fuel tubing on the pegboard along with the prop nuts, radio box tape and cable grease. A trip to the LHS's to pick up whatever else of Prather's that they have in stock whether I need it or not.

For you guys that dont know or care i raced with Al prather long ago in out board and in board boats and he personally would race but his son never did take too the boats andhe flew planes more if I remember right i work two blocks from prathers shop and always pick up parts there.talk too his son terry and he would some time come to the lake during special events , there is one guy here in So. Cal. that runs his boats and you play hell trying to beat him so ther is much to be said for a 20 year old boat and yes prather copied like every body else .After Al Prather died it all started to go away for them and they made alot of boat rtr boats and sold them over seas i would go to the shop and they would tons of boats in the mold s and finish sanding others Sorry to hear they are going under started working nights and never was able to get over there for long time . Just my two cents Vince

So. Cal Namba 19

I went to the local LHS and got a roll of the medium fule lines and 2 belts and ordered some pipe couplers. Stocking up now while there is some left.

Latest posts

Back