Prather Products Out of Business?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyinFinn

Read on the Unlimited Northwest forum that Prather Products is going out of business. Post said that Twoer Hobbies is showing some of their items as discontinued. Just thought I'd spread the word. Maybe this is old news. Maybe someone can confirm this.

It was on here last week that Terry shut the doors on January 31st. I thought at first that a couple of members in here were messing around but it appears to be true.

It's kind of not a surprise though as he was selling outdated boats and probably the only thing that was left keeping the doors open were his props.

Pro Boat is going to have to find a new supplier for props.

It kind of makes me wonder if Dumas isn't far behind.

Does anybody have any 220's? I could use a couple of them.

In the middle of the summer I heard the same about K&B . I was told they were to close also. (RUMOR I HOPE)

Hope they make a new OB package soon

THIS SUCKS...R/C BOATING IS GOING DOWN THE GUTTER!! FIRST PRATHER, THEN IF DUMAS & K&B GO, THEN WHO'S NEXT :angry:

THIS SUCKS...R/C BOATING IS GOING DOWN THE GUTTER!! FIRST PRATHER, THEN IF DUMAS & K&B GO, THEN WHO'S NEXT :angry:
Most of the things this 3 sell is boat stuff.Is that telling you something? I think.. we need new blood in this hobby!!.

Nick

The problem as I see it is the small manufactures such as Prather, Octura, Speedmaster and such have a good products, and are well known through the industry but don’t have a good web pressants. In years past the RC boating parts works was a network of people with phone numbers that where traided in clubs, and races.

Now days if you don’t have a good website that allows your customer to easly find and order a product you not going to be in business long. Take a company like fullers, their business has become one of the top places to order parts if you are in the FE camp. A company like Aeromarin has noticed this, and is owrking very hard to develop their E store. Some one will come in and fill the void left by Prather its just the way the business works.

i was told the same thing at the Wrams show in Westchester NY this weekend........prather is out but K&B was there at the show and it doesn't seem like they're going anywhere(at least for now).

What it tells me is they all have failed to stay current.

Exactly

When was the last time Prather released a new Boat or product ?

With all the new RTR stuff pouring out of China the market place has become very competitive , lots of options.

You have a choice stay current or get ran over by the competition.

Tim K

as far as prather goes they have been around for twenty plus years and that hole time there boats never changed it nice to know that you could still buy the same boat you got twenty years ago but who whants to really how hard is it to change a boat to newer standrds not that hard you are only talking about slight mods you dont have to change the hole boat but change always has to happen in this sport

K&B was there at the show and it doesn't seem like they're going anywhere(at least for now).
Do they have anything new coming out soon ? or should I just start to save Money for an OS outboard (x3)

Ed

There are perhaps a few things that have put model boating companies out of business. The internet is a prime shopping place, I admit that. It's easy and secure. You need to be on the internet! Also, e-bay is a killer for these companies. Instead of buying a new boat a modeler is more likely gonna try to get a deal on e-bay. What happens is a boat that doesn't work well keeps coming back to e-bay and re-sold maybe several times. That less than fun experience for the new modeler kills his interest when the boat does not work and the model boat manufacturerloses business. As for re-designing boats....Don't take offense guys, but most model manufacturers don't have a clue what makes there boats work, so how can they upgrade. A large portion of these guys are copying someone elses boat to start with. What really gets me is the guys who copy a boat that never worked well to start with. The gas boat manufacturers have got it going on. At least they are copying boats that work.

A large portion of these guys are copying someone elses boat to start with. What really gets me is the guys who copy a boat that never worked well to start with. The gas boat manufacturers have got it going on. At least they are copying boats that work.
Amen!

Somebody finally said it!

Thanks John.

Joe Petro

Zippkits.com

I hope this doesn't become a growing trend. Our side of the hobby seems to be the smallest. :(

Well the fuel line is out of stock at Tower. I did not think I cared if they went out of business till you mentioned the fuel line. ****. I was going to buy another roll of medium and large. They do have small in stock but not for long. I still have enough for a couple of years. Almost full rolls.

Mike

Maybe I'd better leave those packages of fuel tubing on the pegboard along with the prop nuts, radio box tape and cable grease. A trip to the LHS's to pick up whatever else of Prather's that they have in stock whether I need it or not.

Mike H.

I was in need of another role of fuel tubing recently and was going to get prather from tower, of course they were out because of all of this. However, just for some feedback, I decided to try another brand. I went with the "Venom" fuel tubing. I got the light blue just like I always run, and was a little skeptical about quality since the price was only $20 for a 50 foot role. I got it in and it is some REALLY good looking tubing. Nice thick wall. I think it only comes in one size, and I would consider the size "standard" just something to consider....

~James

GUESS WE BETTER FIND ALTERNATIVES..AS PRATHER WAS SUPPLYING RADIO BOX TAPE, WHICH CAN BE FOUND AT WALMART (WINDOW SEAL TAPE), GENERAL SILICONES ORANGE OR PINK TRANSPARENT FUEL LINE (FOR LARGE AEROTREND BLUE), AEROTREND BLUE OR CREAM SILICONE COUPLERS INSTEAD (ONLY ADVANTAGE WAS THE PINK TRANSPARENCY ON THE PRATHER'S), BIGGEST LOST WAS THE 4-40 OR 2-56 RADIO BOX SEALS, BUT THERE ARE MANY ALTERNATIVES AS WELL..JUST MY .02 YEN :lol:

Latest posts

Back