Picco & MAC Piston & Sleeve Sets

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been looking for a new old stock P/S set for my MAC 45 for about 3 years now. I've posted want ads on I/W at least 3 times with no luck in the past couple of years. I'm sure there are some out there but people are hording them, and I don't blame them for doing so. My little MAC 45 served me well and ran many, many tanks of fuel through it flawlessly. But unfortunately the sleeve is shot, it has allot of wear in it and a couple of gouges. I'm sure making a piston is the easy part relatively speaking. Making the sleeve on the other hand I'm sure is the hard part, machining it, plating it, honing it? Yep, very expensive and time consuming I'm sure. But with nitro engines it seems that the P/S is the high wear item along with bearings. Most people don't toss a motor when the P/S is shot even if parts are not available. I could be wrong but I've got to believe that there a more then a few of these engines shelved out there with the same problem I have. Now I know no one is getting rich making parts for these things. But a run of a fair number of P/S sets even at $120++ each would be very popular. It would sure get allot of these little motors back out and running again.

Patiently waiting, Josh-

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been looking for a new old stock P/S set for my MAC 45 for about 3 years now. I've posted want ads on I/W at least 3 times with no luck in the past couple of years. I'm sure there are some out there but people are hording them, and I don't blame them for doing so. My little MAC 45 served me well and ran many, many tanks of fuel through it flawlessly. But unfortunately the sleeve is shot, it has allot of wear in it and a couple of gouges. I'm sure making a piston is the easy part relatively speaking. Making the sleeve on the other hand I'm sure is the hard part, machining it, plating it, honing it? Yep, very expensive and time consuming I'm sure. But with nitro engines it seems that the P/S is the high wear item along with bearings. Most people don't toss a motor when the P/S is shot even if parts are not available. I could be wrong but I've got to believe that there a more then a few of these engines shelved out there with the same problem I have. Now I know no one is getting rich making parts for these things. But a run of a fair number of P/S sets even at $120++ each would be very popular. It would sure get allot of these little motors back out and running again.
Patiently waiting, Josh-
The only way that i see producing the replacement parts, and being cost efective, would be to do most of the work in house. You still would have to be able to afford to utilize the machines needed, and not interupt more profitable work. I understand CMB farms out alot of their operations, but some how manages to stay in business. Of course, their competition as far as marine engines is concerned, is next to nothing. With the .21 being the exception. Richard D

Patiently waiting, Josh-
The only way that i see producing the replacement parts, and being cost efective, would be to do most of the work in house. You still would have to be able to afford to utilize the machines needed, and not interupt more profitable work. I understand CMB farms out alot of their operations, but some how manages to stay in business. Of course, their competition as far as marine engines is concerned, is next to nothing. With the .21 being the exception. Richard D
Even if you do all your work in house , it will still cost you 60 - 80 per hour ..unless your shop , machines , materials and labor are all free !!!! My shop labor rate is 85 .00 per and even if we have a smooth week with no screwups , sick people , etc . it's still a struggle .

I was thinking of making a run of piston & sleeve sets for the Picco 67EXR, 45EXR, MAC67 & 45. What is the interest level? These will be same quality (or better) then the stock parts.

What about a 100% compatible Picco line of engines with a titanium rod?

-Jason Pas
I haven't seen or heard from you guys (Jason & Steve Pas) in along time and its nice to see your still around. Well you may not get alot of people posting on here but the interest is very high if you can deliver. As for what is needed, that would be what you listed and the 80 EXR, MAC 84 too. If you had them in stock today you would sell out before the

NEW YEAR. We are all waiting and hoping that someday somebody is going to come thru for us. Well you have my vote and a few others. Now come on down to Atlanta in April they run your favorite class TWINS!!! It would be great to see you guys their. Merry Christmas and Have a Happy New Year.

Ralph Almirola

Roadrunner Boats
Hey Ralph, it is good hearing from you. Yes we have been out it for a while, but once a boater always a boater. I have been traveling alot for work in the past few years & just had a baby girl, so it maybe a while before I start showing up at races again.

I will be starting with a 67 size that will be 100% compatible with the Picco 67EXR, then the 45 and some form of a 90. I will also offer a full line of replacement parts for the MAC 84/67 & 45.

I will be running high volumes of each size per batch, so I should be able to keep the prices reasonable.

-Jason

Jason. Good to see there's a lot of interest. Just hope we don't have to wait for 3 or 4 years to get something in the end users hands like some other potential engine manufacturers promises we've seen. If you decide to move ahead, it would be better sooner than later. All the best.
Definitely not 3-4 years, maybe 3-4 months. The cases are being cast now, we are setting up the sleeve chroming & grinding equipment in the next 3 or 4 weeks. I should have prototypes in 8 weeks for dyno & durability testing.

WOW, the response has been great, I am underway now with the 67/80 size, followed by the 45 and then a 90. Production engines and parts will be ready for sale in late April.
I will keep eveyone posted as things progress. Please let Steve or I know if you have any questions.

Jason Pas

Microdynamic Engineering LLC

MDE-USA.COM

Here is an update on our progess. We should have 7.5cc, 11cc and 12.5cc(80) PICCO EXR piston/sleeves & con-rods ready by the end of May. I had to delay the complete motors for a little while, as my automotive OEM business requirements take priority over the engines. They will however be ready this summer. I will let everyone know once I having an expected completetion date for the crankcase moulds as these are the long leadtime (and expensive!!!) tools.
Right now I am not planning on making any MAC piston & sleeve sets unless someone wants to organize an order for 50 sets (per size) or more. I will have pricing in the next few weeks.

-Jason
Jason or Steve,

Or well.....anybody.

Whats the status on Picco parts "should be end of May" ? On schedule or slipping to the right again?

"pricing in the next few weeks" dated March 10??? a couple days shy of 6 weeks past now, are the prices posted somewhere else and not on this board? Point me to the price list.

Trying to make plans and solid info seems hard to come by....... prices and delivery date.

What about high quality Picco 67 rods? I need a few and I understand that Brad Christy is changing jobs and not making them for a while. I can't seem to find any RPM rods either - DOES ANYONE HAVE A SOURCE or a couple to sell? It is hard to believe that with all the machinists that are in this hobby and the prices that these rods bring that someone is not taking advantage of the situation.

What about high quality Picco 67 rods? and the prices that these rods bring that someone is not taking advantage of the situation.
A high precision part for $70,, yeah , you'd just be rollin' in dough
And look at all the volume, ya might even be able to sell 12-20 the first year. Less after that. Hardly worth writing the software.

You really have to have these boats in your blood to even bother.It's truely a labor of love because there's just no money in it.

And a huge thanks to the people who do, they surely deserve it!

What about high quality Picco 67 rods? and the prices that these rods bring that someone is not taking advantage of the situation.
A high precision part for $70,, yeah , you'd just be rollin' in dough
And look at all the volume, ya might even be able to sell 12-20 the first year. Less after that. Hardly worth writing the software.

You really have to have these boats in your blood to even bother.It's truely a labor of love because there's just no money in it.

And a huge thanks to the people who do, they surely deserve it!
How about this - If we have a machinist that is interested (if he has enough orders) - we can get enough customers to pledge a purchase for a group buy to make it worth his time. How could we best collect pledges? Is there a web tool that collects email addresses? Just an idea.

Jeez- P67 rods @ $ 70+ each- Time to go back in the parts business again?

Interesting thought.....

Dave Richardson

RPM Inc.

(retired)

Jeez- P67 rods @ $ 70+ each- Time to go back in the parts business again?Interesting thought.....

Dave Richardson

RPM Inc.

(retired)

Dave that's just what you need ....Retirement is boring LOL !! The boating world would be very happy if you started making your superior Rods again. And if you could, some piston & sleeves too for piccos and macs. I don't know about $70.00 bucks ....... But $50.00 sounds good.

Hi Guys
I can make your Rods for you, I would need an old one to get the dimintions from. I curently make my own out of 7075 Alum. for my own engines.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/ivym.../im001589-1.jpg

I would be glad to make them for you guys, I am planning to start chrome plating this fall and will try my hand at P/L sets.

Ivy McNeil

[email protected]

I have a stock one that I can send - does anyone know if the RPM rods were different dimensions? I know there are two variations for the Picco 67 EXR (one has a slightly larger outside diameter for the case that has a slot in it).

Hi Guys
I can make your Rods for you, I would need an old one to get the dimintions from. I curently make my own out of 7075 Alum. for my own engines.

<a href="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/ivym.../im001589-1.jpg" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/ivym.../im001589-1.jpg</a>

I would be glad to make them for you guys, I am planning to start chrome plating this fall and will try my hand at P/L sets.

Ivy McNeil

[email protected]

I have a stock one that I can send - does anyone know if the RPM rods were different dimensions? I know there are two variations for the Picco 67 EXR (one has a slightly larger outside diameter for the case that has a slot in it).
Hey Clint

I can also machine the groove in the case to accomadate the thicker walled rod.

Ivy

[email protected]

I was thinking of making a run of piston & sleeve sets for the Picco 67EXR, 45EXR, MAC67 & 45. What is the interest level? These will be same quality (or better) then the stock parts.

What about a 100% compatible Picco line of engines with a titanium rod?

-Jason Pas
I haven't seen or heard from you guys (Jason & Steve Pas) in along time and its nice to see your still around. Well you may not get alot of people posting on here but the interest is very high if you can deliver. As for what is needed, that would be what you listed and the 80 EXR, MAC 84 too. If you had them in stock today you would sell out before the

NEW YEAR. We are all waiting and hoping that someday somebody is going to come thru for us. Well you have my vote and a few others. Now come on down to Atlanta in April they run your favorite class TWINS!!! It would be great to see you guys their. Merry Christmas and Have a Happy New Year.

Ralph Almirola

Roadrunner Boats
Hey Ralph, it is good hearing from you. Yes we have been out it for a while, but once a boater always a boater. I have been traveling alot for work in the past few years & just had a baby girl, so it maybe a while before I start showing up at races again.

I will be starting with a 67 size that will be 100% compatible with the Picco 67EXR, then the 45 and some form of a 90. I will also offer a full line of replacement parts for the MAC 84/67 & 45.

I will be running high volumes of each size per batch, so I should be able to keep the prices reasonable.

-Jason

Jason. Good to see there's a lot of interest. Just hope we don't have to wait for 3 or 4 years to get something in the end users hands like some other potential engine manufacturers promises we've seen. If you decide to move ahead, it would be better sooner than later. All the best.
Definitely not 3-4 years, maybe 3-4 months. The cases are being cast now, we are setting up the sleeve chroming & grinding equipment in the next 3 or 4 weeks. I should have prototypes in 8 weeks for dyno & durability testing.

WOW, the response has been great, I am underway now with the 67/80 size, followed by the 45 and then a 90. Production engines and parts will be ready for sale in late April.
I will keep eveyone posted as things progress. Please let Steve or I know if you have any questions.

Jason Pas

Microdynamic Engineering LLC

MDE-USA.COM

Here is an update on our progess. We should have 7.5cc, 11cc and 12.5cc(80) PICCO EXR piston/sleeves & con-rods ready by the end of May. I had to delay the complete motors for a little while, as my automotive OEM business requirements take priority over the engines. They will however be ready this summer. I will let everyone know once I having an expected completetion date for the crankcase moulds as these are the long leadtime (and expensive!!!) tools.
Right now I am not planning on making any MAC piston & sleeve sets unless someone wants to organize an order for 50 sets (per size) or more. I will have pricing in the next few weeks.

-Jason
Jason or Steve,

Or well.....anybody.

Whats the status on Picco parts "should be end of May" ? On schedule or slipping to the right again?

"pricing in the next few weeks" dated March 10??? a couple days shy of 6 weeks past now, are the prices posted somewhere else and not on this board? Point me to the price list.

Trying to make plans and solid info seems hard to come by....... prices and delivery date.

Anybody got an actual " business phone # " for these guys..JPAS Still waiting for "prices in next few weeks" dated March 10. I have tried there web site e-mail(no reply)

Jason ....... prices please ??

I would have to agree with the RPM "retired" fellow if you could get $70 a rod, I bet he would be thinking about makin' rods again too!!!!!!!!!!!

I have some preliminary pricing:

PAS 80 EXR Piston/Linear AND Con-Rod/Wrist Pin = MSRP $110.00 USD

PAS 67 EXR Piston/Linear AND Con-Rod/Wrist Pin = MSRP $110.00 USD

PAS 45 EXR Piston/Linear AND Con-Rod/Wrist Pin = MSRP $110.00 USD

The tooling required for a complete engine is quite extensive, so we will be delaying complete engines to late this year. PAS engines are 100% Picco EXR compatible. The MSRP for the complete engines will be less then $400USD

For the pistons and sleeves, we will have both the blue head and black head 45 parts as well. The first batch of parts will be the Picco 45 Blue head and the latest Picco 67R design. We are also considering producing the full line of MAC & CMB piston and sleeve sets which will be ready late this year at lower price then the OE parts.

We will need some more time to complete testing to ensure these are superior to the old Piccos motors and components.

Come on with the MAC stuff lots of motors are sitting around waiting for a new lease on life.Thanks for the time and money spent but don't stop now!!!!

I have some preliminary pricing:
PAS 80 EXR Piston/Linear AND Con-Rod/Wrist Pin = MSRP $110.00 USD

PAS 67 EXR Piston/Linear AND Con-Rod/Wrist Pin = MSRP $110.00 USD

PAS 45 EXR Piston/Linear AND Con-Rod/Wrist Pin = MSRP $110.00 USD

The tooling required for a complete engine is quite extensive, so we will be delaying complete engines to late this year. PAS engines are 100% Picco EXR compatible. The MSRP for the complete engines will be less then $400USD

For the pistons and sleeves, we will have both the blue head and black head 45 parts as well. The first batch of parts will be the Picco 45 Blue head and the latest Picco 67R design. We are also considering producing the full line of MAC & CMB piston and sleeve sets which will be ready late this year at lower price then the OE parts.

We will need some more time to complete testing to ensure these are superior to the old Piccos motors and components.

I hope that you will reconsider releasing the 45 blue head parts first. There are many more blackheads out there running and sitting on the shelf because of the lack of parts. I suspect you will sell 7/10 times the blackhead sets to 1 blue head set. I know I'll get 4 sets just to start with. PLEASE blackheads first!!!

Jason and steve.

john is right.. i am not a picco guy but i can tell you the blackhead motors are without a doubt the parts to do first.

chris

p.s. hope to meet up with you at a race sometime

Jeez- P67 rods @ $ 70+ each- Time to go back in the parts business again?Interesting thought.....

Dave Richardson

RPM Inc.

(retired)
Dave I currently cut the side clearence down on the RPM rods (BIG END) & counter sink the ends of the bushing so the radius on the crank pin or drum rotor does not come into contact with the lower bushing. This little mod has yielded some RPM rods that have ran over 200-250 rounds of racing with no breakage... Many rods & Picco crank confurations the Rod was Wider than the crank pin was Long. BAD NEWS!!!!! The Crank pin MUST be LONGER so the Rod can Float on the pin without being Thrusted into the drum rotor under load.. Your RPM products were excellent in quality. We would like to see some more if possible. jw

Back