Photo Journal

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tony, where have you been hiding that one? Looks like an R/C Marine Designs hull. I'll have to look for it next season.

Tom, your posting above looks about right, this thing is screwing up big time!

Ozzy,

I didn't realise you were not running full throttle here, that was quite good for partial throttle! Another thing you could try is making a head for the cone lock (turbo) plugs. I found they were very durable, I had one do a season in a Novarossi Multi boat that used 30% nitro and had a few leans runs too! That was a novarossi #5 short body, which is the hottest you can buy (that I know of). I had problems in my 90 with the turbo plug, it was too cold, but it seemed to work in the smaller engines.

You are going to be busy with all those boats!

Ian.

Ron - The sport40 above is an RC Marine, Stealth Cowl, P45 Black head, Front Radio Box. I built it in 2001, but we have only raced it a couple of times.. Tony J

-------------

TWO - Microburst, P45 Blackhead, 2002 IMPBA District2 Hi-Point Champion

nitro,

unless that's a weird camera angle and you didnt do a great job of mounting two engines, is that a twin-cylinder?

wow! you're right 'bout it being different, whether twin or dual........ big too!

joe

Yes i am in production i have 8 boats under way at this moment plus a scale boat witch has to be finshed for the Nats. :p :p
Hope the scale boat is going on the register before the Nationals Paul! Hint hint!

Joe,

It is one engine, 30cc Vee twin. You should see the size of props I have for it!

Tim,

Nice geared mount, did you make that or buy it? I have a Mocom one from Dave Marles, but it is a bit different to that. Also is that engine air cooled (no water lines!)

Ian.

Ian,

You are very observant - I had the motor out thru the week and hadn't hooked up the water line before the pic was taken. The gear drive is a modified OPS multi boat unit fitted with a delrin gear.

Laxmasta

It is awesome - you have never heard a 21 mono like this thing. It pulls crazy rev's and double stages on the pipe all the time.... The big prop causes some very strange issues with handling though. It made a motor that wasn't even competitive with direct drive a 50mph weapon.

Tim

Tim,

Most of the 21 Multi boats in our club use gear drives, so I have heard the gear whine a lot!

A few years ago one of the guys in the club here put a geared 21 in a mono, the boat was seriously quick, but really it needed to be in a 45 hull for stability. What is that hull, I dont recognise it at all?

Ian

Hi guys! Just here to give you my 2 yen. I would say "cents", but it has been ages since I have seen one.

Here in Japan, 99% of the people in .21 mono use geared mounts. They are usually geared down. Some are geared up, and some are 1 to 1. The geared down units allow you to run a prop suitable for a .45 with a .21. They do tend to make the boats run a little crazy. Do to the rough water conditions here, a lot of people use the .45 hull. The gear down units tend to whine, but the quality of the manufactured units have been getting better and better, so they aren't as noisy as they were a few years ago.

People use the gear up versions and the 1 to 1 versions in .21 hydro. It allows you to run the pipe straight out the back. Easy to make a cowl. Now that Mac has the front exhaust. It seems to be more economical just to use a mac engine. They are about the same price as the gear unit, but you get the engine too. Kills two fish fish with one prop. A little RC boating termanology for you.

Get some more pics in here! ;)

Hammer

Has anyone tried one of the two speed gearboxes from the cars? I would think it would be pretty neat, launch a big prop in 1st gear and when the boat gets up on plane and really going it shifts into 2nd! I would think it would be best for riggers. How cool would it be to hear your boat shift gears!

Ian.

tim,

wow! i woulda thought the boat would slow down a bunch, guess not. i'm gonna be making my first .21 soon, maybe a gearbox is something to think about...

hammer,

it seems like it would be easier to use a standard header and cowl than install a gearbox...oh well, maybe it's cuz im american!! ;D

ian,

aha! i knew it! what manufacturer makes a 2-cylinder nitro? i've never heard of one .....21 geared sounds cool, i'll probably be running one of hammer's OS .21s to get used to it....i wonder if i could race competetively with it by gearing?? i was thinking more of gearing to higher RPM, and using a small prop.

Back