Phantom & Phantom II

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ken what Mike meant is the race itself is 6 laps plus mill laps

Ken,Joe

Once you finalize placements of of strut and rudder we might be able to come up with a single integral bracket incorporating the Speed-Master Mini components.

I know there is not a lot of transom room.

Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
Ken,Joe

Once you finalize placements of of strut and rudder we might be able to come up with a single integral bracket incorporating the Speed-Master Mini components.

I know there is not a lot of transom room.

Tim
Tim

We will keep you informed after testing im sure Joe will draw up what the kits will need an see if we can work out hardware for the A1/2A kits

Hi Tim

It appears that you are a dealer for several product lines. My question is, do you manufacture any parts in house. I am looking for a manufacturer that can build motor mounts, turn fins and specific strut/rudder brackets. PM me and let me know. Joe

JOE; Remember the top flight spray can paint you mentioned you used to spray your boats was fuel proof. I hate to burst your bubble ,but its fuel proof only up to 15% nitro. Any nitro percentage above 15% will peel the paint off. I did what you did assuming it was fuel proof for any % of nitro it is not. Read the can. Go to the website. I would advise using klass note for 100% nitro combinations. Since the smaller nitro boats take higher nitro percentage only fuel proof paints will stand up like k&b,klass kote and ppg. Better yet finish your boat in a epoxy finish resin,place decals on and spray one coat of clear klass kote. This helps keep the weight and cost down. When you do your 21s give it a try. You will like it. Paint has lead in it and weight is the enemy for small boats. Hope this helps--DAN--

OK here is my 2 cents. Well Dan is right it wont stand up to 65% nitro. Also why do you guys paint a boat, for testing stage's run it and make changes from there. It looks nice..

Also I have been following this thread, But you have to get real testing in before pushing a product. My 2 cents. Looks really nice.

Also I have been following this thread, But you have to get real testing in before pushing a product. My 2 cents. Looks really nice.
Rene, I don't know how many times I have said it. The boat will not even be priced until we are through with the testing phase. Guys have ask me to keep them informed of the design and building of the PHANTOM II and this is what I am doing.

JOE; Remember the top flight spray can paint you mentioned you used to spray your boats was fuel proof. I hate to burst your bubble ,but its fuel proof only up to 15% nitro. Any nitro percentage above 15% will peel the paint off. I did what you did assuming it was fuel proof for any % of nitro it is not. Read the can. Go to the website. I would advise using klass note for 100% nitro combinations. Since the smaller nitro boats take higher nitro percentage only fuel proof paints will stand up like k&b,klass kote and ppg. Better yet finish your boat in a epoxy finish resin,place decals on and spray one coat of clear klass kote. This helps keep the weight and cost down. When you do your 21s give it a try. You will like it. Paint has lead in it and weight is the enemy for small boats. Hope this helps--DAN--
Never thought about that, so I guess Ken is going to have to be careful with the boat. It really doesn't matter as it is a test boat. I have used more than 15% nitro in airplanes, with engine cowls painted with Lustre Kote, and had no problems but I don't know about 65%. As for lead in paint, they stopped using lead back in 1980. I really don't think any modern paint has lead in it.

My .21 boats are going to be painted in Klass Kote Yellow. I had already planned on that.

Yes JOE you are right. I forgot about lead being removed many years ago, but it still adds unnecessary weight and cost to the boat. You can paint a boat with any paint as long as you seal it with a fuel

proof clear paint. I hate getting old I suffer from CRS ( can't remember s__t.) Tell Ken to clean the boat with a industrial cleaner after testing the boat. Take the engine out after a test session and clean the inside of the tub and cowl. If you don't you will see the paint start to bubble were the fuel was next time you run. I used a paint brush to clean my boat. -----DAN------

Yes JOE you are right. I forgot about lead being removed many years ago, but it still adds unnecessary weight and cost to the boat. You can paint a boat with any paint as long as you seal it with a fuel

proof clear paint. I hate getting old I suffer from CRS ( can't remember s__t.) Tell Ken to clean the boat with a industrial cleaner after testing the boat. Take the engine out after a test session and clean the inside of the tub and cowl. If you don't you will see the paint start to bubble were the fuel was next time you run. I used a paint brush to clean my boat. -----DAN------
Thank you for the heads up sir Joe knows ill treat it like a piece of ART!!!

ALRIGHT! I started reading up on Top Flite Lustre Kote and found that a lot of guys use it on their boats with good results! The only thing that was mentioned was that the longer it dries the more fuel proof it becomes (app. two weeks). One guy has been running 60% nitro in his boat with no adverse effect on his paint finish. Ken's boats have had more than two weeks drying time. I deleted my post on using Top Flite Lustre Kote and now I wish I had not deleted it!

This first prototype PHANTOM II to me is more than a test boat.

I remember 1977 drafting class working on my first Joe Bishop designed PHANTOM CE with Howard Huddel an then Phantom Twin .65 Rossi powered beast I have never meet Joe Bishop yet.I know Joe's passion is to design a cool sexy boat its are job to get it up too speed an that is my passion.

Joe great work an keep us informed. A+++

Ken

Dan, the inside of the boats are not painted. They are epoxy resin. I have always ran my outrigger boats with holes in the bottom in front of the bulkheads (except in the radio compartment). This siphons off any water that gets in the boat while running and also siphons off excess oil from the engine compartment. When the boat is retrieved there is virtually no oil in the engine bay. If the boat goes dead in the water, the sponsons and radio compartment hold it high enough in the water that very little water comes into the boat. Not enough to hurt anything and it immediately drains out as soon as you pick it up. Joe

ALRIGHT! I started reading up on Top Flite Lustre Kote and found that a lot of guys use it on their boats with good results! The only thing that was mentioned was that the longer it dries the more fuel proof it becomes (app. two weeks). One guy has been running 60% nitro in his boat with no adverse effect on his paint finish. Ken's boats have had more than two weeks drying time. I deleted my post on using Top Flite Lustre Kote and now I wish I had not deleted it!
Got news for you, it does not become more fuelproof the longer it dries, that's a bunch of hoooey. Right on Top Flite's web site they clearly state it's only fuelproof to 15%. Lustre Kote was developed as a color match for Mono Kote covering films for airplane parts that needed to be painted and airplanes run very low nitro. Also as for a comment made about using any kind of paint is ok if you use a fuel proof clear, that's fine .... until the clear gets scratched. Been in this game long enough to see what works and what doesn't for paint on boats, do yourself a favor and stick with Klass Kote or other high end paints like PPG.

It appears that everyone has their opinion. Some for and some against. I reiterated what guys posted of their own experiences with the paint, so here is what I am going to do. I will leave the little boats exactly as they are, we will test them and let you guys know how the paint holds up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back