Percent of oil in Nitro fuel

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HTV Boats

Before anyone says just mix your own and list suppliers lets keep this discussion to store bought fuel as I just want to by from a supplier.

I have used various fuels and always had a personal prefference for Morgans Sidewinder as a synthetic castor blend with about 12% oil. Not availiable at the LHS but Odonnell which is a quality fuel is. I emailed Odonnel to simply ask what there oil percentage is in their boat fuel and they replied that it is a trade secret and I found that odd as most vendors want you to know all about their product. My issue is in switching from 12 to 18 or more percent oil the needle may change more than going up and down in nitro. I run 50 to 60%. Anyone have any input on either Odonnels big secret or if oil changes will throw a needle off. Again I have a mindset that above 15% oil is too much. (my opinion) For the record my limited use of Odonnels has been more than satisfactory but I may would be more comfortable knowing the oil percentage without giving away the secret recipe.

In a highperformance boat or snowmobile 2cycle you see revs to 8000 on 4% or less oil. I realize nitro loads and 25000+ rpms may need more oil but 5 times as much, is it really needed with todays quality lubricants.

Back in the day when I used to run Red Max, I had to lean on the needles after switching to O'Donnel. O'Donnel is a great fuel. I would say that the oil content is somewhere in the 18% range. I never had any motor failures with O'Donnel. I would get a longer life out of bearings also. I have since switch to mixing my own. Dropped the price from $33 (O'Donnel club buy) to $22 a gallon (mix).

Mike

Back in the day when I used to run Red Max, I had to lean on the needles after switching to O'Donnel. O'Donnel is a great fuel. I would say that the oil content is somewhere in the 18% range. I never had any motor failures with O'Donnel. I would get a longer life out of bearings also. I have since switch to mixing my own. Dropped the price from $33 (O'Donnel club buy) to $22 a gallon (mix).Mike
Thanks Mike,

Kind of reinforces my finding while switching fuels from Odonnells and needle on new fuel was way lean. Half a lap and became a turn pin. For the record the switch was using up old fuel and going to new and found out you can't do that between heats. My Bad! Cost always a consideration but in the scheme of things a raceboat with a $1100 cost uses for me about 6 gallons in a race season so even an extra $10 X 6 X 4 boats is maybe $240 a year and not significant after travel entry, fee's, hotels and thousands in support euipment. This is not where to cheap out. I do not feel I can blend and store small quantities as well as a processor who bottles thousands of gallons. Again my opininion.

Mic

You would be surprized how easy it is. The biggest part of the equation is the gallon jugs. I had been saving them right before I switched over to mixing. I also get a steady supply from Uncle Jerry. He gets regular shipments from Tower.

Mike

Mike ,

Give us a breakdown of a recipe ,supplies and approximate cost of each ingredient to make your own fuel.

We are currently running Red Max 30% nitro with 19% synthetic oil because they had the best prices and shipping cost when I bought last year.Great people I might add.

Thanks

Terry

Mic

Contact John Otto at Technology Fuels in Brandon, Fl. They are not far up the road from you. They make a great fuel

and will let you know whatever you want about his fuels.

Phone # is 813-651-1840

Mercguy

Some very "high placed" boaters I've talked to have said it has 12%, I've run an oil that had all the same characteristics for years at 12% with no issues.

Funny you mention the needle settings, I mixed some 18% break-in oil for a real tight piston and had to open the needle quite a bit from my regular 12%, seems the viscosity has more effect than the amount of combustibles in the mix. :blink:

%------Nitro------Meth.------Oil----------Total

66-----2 gal.----1/2 gal.----1/2 gal.----3 gal.-------17% oil

60-----3 gal.----1 gal.------1 gal.-------5 gal.-------20% oil

40-----2 gal.----2 gal.------1 gal.-------5 gal.-------20% oil

We have been buying nitro in the 55 gallon drum. I think my cost for 11 gallons was around 227 as I recall. We use Klotz KL101 super technicplate oil. That was 145 for 4 gallons. I get meth. from the local race shop for 3 a gallon.

Per gallon costs

20.63 nitro

36.25 oil

3 meth

So if you do the math for fuel costs.

66% is 20.29

60% is 20.23

40% is 16.70

Mike

BTW I just found a cheaper supplier today for the KL101 that will drop the price to 100 delivered for 4 gallons. Thats about $18 a gallon. Coooooooool.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot mike.

That makes it look pretty simple.

If i were some of these guys and lived close enough to supplies i would be brewing my own with some friends.

Terry

Back