Pay N Pak

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Atta boy! Yeah HJ thats similar to how the real hull is.

I also plan on ordering plans for my U-71 build that I'm doing next over the summer. My dumas 36" U-71 kit has the same weak air traps, and the sponson bottoms in the kit are smooth and no ride pads are shown, nada. And the last time I saw the real U-71's sponsons it sure didnt look like how dumas has it. I intend to do a bit more work on this one.

I'm taking my time on my pay n' pak boat, I wet sanded the zpoxy a couple times with 600, and its nice N' smooth, my decals are cut out.

Just waiting for you guys to catch up :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Atta boy! Yeah HJ thats similar to how the real hull is.

I also plan on ordering plans for my U-71 build that I'm doing next over the summer. My dumas 36" U-71 kit has the same weak air traps, and the sponson bottoms in the kit are smooth and no ride pads are shown, nada. And the last time I saw the real U-71's sponsons it sure didnt look like how dumas has it. I intend to do a bit more work on this one.

I'm taking my time on my pay n' pak boat, I wet sanded the zpoxy a couple times with 600, and its nice N' smooth, my decals are cut out.

Just waiting for you guys to catch up :p
Let me get my boats built and I'll be waiting on you :p .

I may have secured an engine for my Eagle today as well, so I'm going to be very busy for the next few months, between doing redesigns and building my Paks, Eagle and scale boats. It might be hard to figure out which boat to take east next June for our fun run B)

Let me get my boats built and I'll be waiting on you :p .

I may have secured an engine for my Eagle today as well, so I'm going to be very busy for the next few months, between doing redesigns and building my Paks, Eagle and scale boats. It might be hard to figure out which boat to take east next June for our fun run B)

Thats easy, just bring your fastest..... :p :lol: B)

Heres the latest pics on my Pak sport 20. The OPS .21 SE is mounted nicely on Joe Solinger's .21 mounts. I had to drill N' tap the mount to fit my engine as they are pre-tapped for a novarossi .21. as you can see there is plenty of clearance for the exhaust. My next little hurdle is that carb needle thats sticking out like a sore thumb. Either I cut the thing down and bend a "L" at the end, (which will result in still a tight fit for ones fingers to get in there) change the carb out or use a remote needle assembly. :unsure:

001.JPG

002.JPG

004.JPG

006.JPG

005.JPG

Heres the latest pics on my Pak sport 20. The OPS .21 SE is mounted nicely on Joe Solinger's .21 mounts. I had to drill N' tap the mount to fit my engine as they are pre-tapped for a novarossi .21. as you can see there is plenty of clearance for the exhaust. My next little hurdle is that carb needle thats sticking out like a sore thumb. Either I cut the thing down and bend a "L" at the end, (which will result in still a tight fit for ones fingers to get in there) change the carb out or use a remote needle assembly. :unsure:
Looks great! I would go with a remote needle. Seems like marine engines should just come that way....

Good God Man!.....your going to have yours in the water before i get the first frame tacked together on mine! :lol: Looks mighty good! Maybe ill just send you mine and you can build it! :lol: :lol:

Nice boat RJ ....I would lose that needle assy. , cut off the needle body flush with the outside and tap it 6 -32 or 8 -32 put a threaded nipple in it and run a remotely located needle . Nothing worse than those too big OPS needles !!
biggrin.gif

Oh and Bill ....you know you are years away from yours being ready to run !!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I have to agree, go with the remote. Now Bill, how do you expect the participate in our fun run next year at this rate? Even I have parts waiting for the build when I get home next weekend :p

Hi guys,

On my OPS .21 SE engine. I'm looking at the O.S. .21 RZ-M remote needle. Any opinions?

I'm guessing it should work.

My OPS carb thats on my engine has a separte fuel nipple on the side. The O.S. remote needle comes with a threaded plug for use in the carb where the carb needle was, however I'm not too sure what the threads are on the plug, probably metric. Either way I'm going to have to cut the needle body off the carb as suggested, drill N' tap it to fit that plug or for a set screw to plug it up with.

Then hook up the remote needle to the fuel inlet nipple on the carb. is that correct?

Losmg8336.jpg

Found some k&b remote needle assemblies over at mecoa. I may give those a shot since I'm not sure about which O.S. to try. Unless someone has a better remote needle to try. Also I have a few Du-bro throttle cable kits, whats a good way to hook those up? Do i need a clamp for the cable to attach to the engine? cause if so i need one. I'm using Hitec hs-81 micro servos for throttle, i still have to conjure up a servo mount for both rudder & throttle i was going to glue in some hardwood blocks on the hull bottom for the servos. the blocks will be tight up on either side and i can screw down a 1/16 ply strip or metal over between the two blocks. think that would work?

Found some k&b remote needle assemblies over at mecoa. I may give those a shot since I'm not sure about which O.S. to try. Unless someone has a better remote needle to try. Also I have a few Du-bro throttle cable kits, whats a good way to hook those up? Do i need a clamp for the cable to attach to the engine? cause if so i need one. I'm using Hitec hs-81 micro servos for throttle, i still have to conjure up a servo mount for both rudder & throttle i was going to glue in some hardwood blocks on the hull bottom for the servos. the blocks will be tight up on either side and i can screw down a 1/16 ply strip or metal over between the two blocks. think that would work?
RJ, on the needle valves, your probably just going to have to give one a try......on the throttle deal, i know people use a cable and dont seem to have any problems to speak of..... I use a 2-56 or 4-40 rod and and waterproof seal... been doin that for 30 years....no problems.....on the servo mounts, i take a piece of 1/16th ply, glue two pieces to that, and a coupla pieces on on the outside of the ply to make a slot for the ears of the servos to slide in between, then epoxy the whole tray to the bottom with slow set epoxy and then, like you said screw a strip of ply or metal over the top of the servo to retain it!

Okay guys, any updates? Started working on mine again, tracing out and/or redrawing parts. The sponson insides are totally different than the original design for the first set. Tried to mount my engine into my mounts only to discover the carb's needle valve and the exhaust system get in the way :eek: Carb goes back to Glenn Quarles beginning of the week for some tweeking and I'll be ordering a flat topped Aeromarine engine mount set on Monday. I've got everything else hardware wise except a skid fin bracket, flex cable, stub shaft and collet. I'll be ordering most of this with the engine mounts. Hopefully I'll be mixing epoxy within the next week or so :)

Okay Guys, the saw's getting busy :eek:

Anyone else have anything to update us on? I've decided NOT to do a build thread until I get most of the way done with the build. At that point, I'll post a full set of pictures to show everyone what I've done, changed and the results from doing so. I also don't want to put some people in the position of trying to copy my build exactly without knowing the where's, why's, how's and such. Just to make things clear, I'm not talking about Bill Gibson either ;)

I'll be dropping a 5port NR in one, K&B's in at least one, if not two just to compare the two power plants. As Bill said, you can do what you want RJ, but I've had my bad experience with Dumas hardware, never again. I'll be using Speedmaster or making my own just so I know I'll have good quality stuff. I'll also be posting a lot of side-by-side shots to show how much I've changed some of the parts, just for sake of comparison. Needless to say, I'm looking forward to the fun run next summer to see how many differences there are in the way we all build the same kit. Should be fun to see the differences

HJ, If you decide to get a 5 port TOP engine.......you are going to be VERY, VERY happy with it.......did some testing with mine in a new 20 hydro a couple of weeks ago, then raced it at a two day this past weekend...what a GREAT little motor! Starts EASY....GREAT idle....good speed right out of the box....if i blew this thing up, id buy another one in a heartbeat! It also seems to have surprisingly GOOD low end and mid range chacteristics for a 20 motor........sure cant beat the price either! Just thought id let you know ol buddy............ :)

Already have it, along with a NR black pipe and header. I figure between the Top and the changes I'm doing, the boat should be a screamer :D

Latest posts

Back