PAINT HELP

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim shipley

Being my first build(jae12) I'm wanting to paint, and clear it.

Would really appreciate some guidence, and steps on the proper process of achieving a good finish.

What type spray gun, products, etc.

Thanks Jim......

Would really appreciate some guidence, and steps on the proper process of achieving a good finish.

Thanks Jim......
Jim, I used to struggle years ago with this, but if your going to just use regular spray can's, here are a few tips: Always use the same Brand of Clear as the paint/if your going to clear over decals or pin stripping(don't mix) - always put a light/light coat on them & let dry before adding a thicker coat - they will curl-up on you if you don't. I use the fuel-proof Luster coat brand. I use nothing but spray cans - so if you have a gun, then different method is applied. Here are a few of my projects using spray cans instead of Guns or airbrush.

Halfbuck

http://s516.photobucket.com/albums/u322/halfbuck/Teds%20race%20boats/

I would suggest for paint to use www.klasscote.com

they have good epoxy paint.

as for gun.. DO NOT use a cheap gun.. my friend just bought a sata mini jet 4.. they are spendy but shoot very very nice..

i use a 1.0 tip to shoot. mix paint to thinner ratio per the paint co. as for decals... i have never had them curl.. i shoot all my 20 boat tubs with clear for a natural tub and shoot heavy coats right over the decals with no problems.

just use good paint.. and a good gun.

that alone will save you alot of headaches.

i seal the boat with 1 coat of the clear paint.. let it dry.. sand with 400.. tack cloth and use mineral spirits to get any oils from your hands off the part you are painting.. then dust a light coat of your first coat.. if you use primer.. make sure you get a good enough coverage so you don't have to prime again.

same process with color or clear.

chris

Thanks Jim......
Ok you need to put one to two coats of epoxy on the hull to seal the wood up... then wet sand it with 180-220 grit sand paper.. then prime it.. then block wet sand it with 220..you might have to re prime it one more time,sand the last coat of primer with 320-400..If you just want a wooden finish..just put one coat of epoxy,,,then wet sand it with 400,then go to 600.. then put 2 to 3 coats of clear and your done.. use prep sol=aka tar&wax remover to wash the out of that hull to remove any grease or oils that can be on your hull...then your ready to paint....Check out your local paint store..for there bugetline paints systems..... NAPA sells the Crossfire ...Dupont sells the NASON and PPG sells the shopline they all work great and saves you in the walet too.. as for paint guns.. sorry chris,my cheap 75 dollars mini hvlp gravit feed that came in a three guns set from TSC out shoots that sata jet..My hvlp Accuspray gravity feed issic newton #7 out shoots any sata jet ,sharp or devilvis on the market and it has a 1.2 tip...bought that gun in 2000 for 350.00 and havent rebuilt it yet and still shoots like new...it lays my paint out like glass no orange peals...I've seen cheaper guns that shoot great and some that arnt so good.. it depends on your funds to buy one.. you can find them used too..

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had the best luck with Klasscote as well and got away lucky with a cheap wally world setup with all you need except the compressor for like 39.00

No question and not to argue with these other fine members sure you may get a better job with more expensive equipment but how good does it have to be for race boats.I like nice stuff and mine came out really well :D

I have gone over the whole spray bomb vs auto paint verses KK and i wish i had have stuck with KK.

Here is a couple i did .keep em simple and add decals and they are easier to repair WHEN they get wrecked..

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had the best luck with Klasscote as well and got away lucky with a cheap wally world setup with all you need except the compressor for like 39.00

No question and not to argue with these other fine members sure you may get a better job with more expensive equipment but how good does it have to be for race boats.I like nice stuff and mine came out really well :D

I have gone over the whole spray bomb vs auto paint verses KK and i wish i had have stuck with KK.

I will post a couple pics later when i clean up my attachments.
The proublem with KK is not much color selection.. only solids/pastels colors no metalics or pearls..Thats why I love automotive paints color huge color selection to chose from...Some of our boats we'd used dupi-color rattle cans on and top them off with automotive urethane clears on them with no proublems..

I did this literally 2 weeks ago

So i epoxy'd the hull twice, scraping as much off after 20 mins as i could. Do this to seal the hull

Give it a wet sand with 200 or 400

Fill up the bath and make sure you dont have any water leaks. nothing worse than doing a nice paint job then finding out you have to repair it.

Give it a light coat of "Acrylic" Primer. This will work with enamel (cheep spray paint) and also acrylic.

Give it a sand with 600 and then give it another prime.

Sand again but this time with 800

Mask it up

Apply a "mist coat" of color to the boat. and let it dry for 5 mins

Give the boat a full coat of color and let it dry min of an hour. Take your time cos if you do it rite, you wont need another coat of paint.

Once happy with the finish, let it dry for 24 hours, regardless off what the instructions on the can say.

Apply a coat of "Acrylic Clear" to the boat. get it nice and easy to avoid too much sanding.

I will generally put 3 coats of acrylic clear on, nice and light but make sure it covers.

Let it dry again for 24 hours...

Use 2,000 Grit and wet sand it really lightly using a soft rubber sanding pad. Only sand until you have a nice flat finish. Dont keep sanding.

Now, use some cutters and polish the boat, the same way you polish your car.

The good thing with Acrylic clear is it dries really hard. This lets you get a glass like finish.

A word of warning tho, if you want your boat to be the fastest on the pond then don't paint it. Every time you add even the lightest coat of paint it adds weight.

I painted mine because i don't care if im the fastest boat on the lake.. You wont loose that much top end speed but ehrn you race, you want everything going for you/

Good luck

I need to add some pics. At the moment i don't know how to do it so i need to work that out.

Good luck and pls post some pics

Back