P Ltd/Spec Batteries?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well here we go.

I haven't read any real arguments on any forum for quite some time now. I have read some good discussions and alot of regurgitated issues. The fact is, is that on just about every thread that has to do with P-Limited someone from the South East is throwing digs at the rest of the Country about foolishly burning up equipment followed by a serious of smilely faces and Youtube videos. Along with this we continue to get promotions to spec esc's, props and detuning suggestions so we can run with nitro. The broken record crap slinging has really wore itself out. And the detuning suggestion to run with nitro is just not going to see the light of day anywhere but your Districts.

IMPBA and even NAMBA are membership organizations. They are not dictatorships controlled by a handfull of guy's that carry some sort of little title. I would suggest that a little smoother communication with the membership would go a lot further than presenting the dillusion of hierarchy. It is this hierarchy that is keeping IMPBA from implementing a National rule set for P-Limited. You fellows had a rule set ready a couple years back with spec-ed esc's and found out you would not get the votes to pass it. Get rid of this and it will pass. I know this will be hard as there will have to be some egos set aside. The general membership will be happy. Your Nitro/electric combined District can still continue to run spec-ed esc's and detuned boats.

It is unfortunate in your part of the country there is not enough nitro boats to run a class and or not enough electrics to run a class and therefore have to mix them. And it also unfortunate in your area that nitro still looks down on electric. The problem is, is that this is not really the case anywhere else. In the Midwest we are growing quite well. Looks like we will be up to almost 12 P-Limited Tunnels and maybe 12 P-Limited Mono's between D4 and D6 next year. We are growing because nitro guys are quite facinated with the speed and competitveness of our electric racing. Some are actually intimated and will not go electric. If for some reason our electric guy's miss a race we are cussed out for not attending. They want us there.

Next June the NAMBA Nationals are in Michigan (home of the largest attended Electric Nationals in the US). This will be attended by the best heat racing drivers around. Many of these electric guys will have more than 20 years of electric boat racing experience. This is within a good drive for you East Coast guys. Seize the oppurtunity!

Doug
Hey Doug, Had a race this weekend so sorry the response is delayed. Thanks for the invite to the NAMBA Nats. Unfortunately my club is hosting a district race the weekend before and I'm running the show so I'm going to recovering from that (plus the wife would kill me). I hope to possibly attend the Northern Lights race in Ontario next year depending on the date. It's an IMPBA event but I believe there is the possibility of allot of NAMBA guys from the Great Lakes area showing up. Plus I have two gas boats and like to run them as well. I wanted to attend a NAMBA1 race up north this year but scheduling conflicts just didnt permit it. I always enjoy meeting fellow boaters.

There is nothing unfortunate about us running combined nitro and FE classes. It's not for everyone but it was our way for the FE guys to get their foot in the door. Getting the standard three boat minimum and advertising the class on race flyers was another option when I asked the district to allow FE's to run. The dwindling number of nitro racers is unfortunate but was not the only reason the district chose to run combined classes. We run about 20 classes in a two day event in our district and the membership did not want a significant increase in the number of classes run. Another benefit of the combined classes is the integration of the FE racers into the district. The FE racers here are not segregated group at district races. We're one big dysfunctional... I mean happy family. Finally our three most popular combined Nitro/FE classes are averaging six boats a heat with a little over half the boats being FE's. Whats not to like? Again, I'm not advocating this for anyone. I'm just explaining why we did the combined classes. As for recommending change for my district. I'm not going to fix what's not broke. It's not my call anyway. The membership requested spec controllers when we started the Limited classes and I have not heard one complaint from our regular district racers on the use of spec controllers. Even if I supported a change to open controllers, it's not my call and it's highly unlikely it would pass. That's how much power I have. Everyone has to find what works for them. Not that this has anything to do with this thread but I just wanted to respond to your post.

Respectfully, your talk of the IMPBA being run by a hand full of dictators with titles is a load of garbage. Too many members would rather sit in front of a computer and complain than make better use of their time making a contribution to the hobby. The so called vocal "minority" represents two districts. There are FOURTEEN Districts in the IMBPA. Each DD of the twelve remaining "majority" districts get to vote on whether or not to let a proposal fly. Do the math. We've been having the same boring arguments for years now yet no one has made the effort to submit a proposal. All were doing is causing division which we cannot afford. We're too small a group for that and it's bad for the hobby. As far as my title, let's get this out there. Any perception that being a FE director is a position of authority in my district or the IMPBA is ridiculous. I post a title in my signature only as a point of contract for district members who have questions about FE matters or those that are interested in FE racing. I explain the rules and classes to members and the CD's during the race. My only aspiration is to get more folks running FE's. That's it. I'm one vote in the IMPBA just like everyone else. If I removed the title in the signature, nothing would change. I would still be here spouting off, trying to do the right thing for my district and the hobby.

Last edited by a moderator:
... That being said, however, if, as a group, we tested and approved WHATEVER rules... I would happily abide by them. I just want to go race boats... legally and fully within the rules... :)

If it gives people a perceived "comfort", and gets them out racing, then I can live with it, even if it doesn't really make any sense... :)

It sounds like you're a member of the "Just tell me what the rules are so I can kick your a**" club. From that club's members results, I'd say any rule set would eventually have the most talented racers winning. I'm just trying to evaluate the current (pun intended) efforts to see if there could be some better ways to accomplish the same thing.
Lohring Miller

It sounds like you're a member of the "Just tell me what the rules are so I can kick your a**" club.
Lohring Miller
You forgot the "unless Brian shows up with his game-face on... :)

I'm really just in the club where I admit I don't have all the answers, and eventually get tired of being beaten up for trying to contribute my $0.02, when really all I want to do is race and have a good time.

Much like with our current state of affairs in our political climate, people get what they vote for. I can work within whatever system people "think" they want... Unless someone is taking my points away to give them to those who finished behind me, any system still comes down to things outside of the rules in order to run at the front consistently...

I think, however, that this thread started with a question as to the "P-Spec" rules, or lack thereof, for the IMBPA. I don't think there is an effort to change anything in the P-Ltd rules currently (well, other than the general question about voltage limits... another topic for another day)... IMBPA is what I thought was being questioned.

After fielding a few complaints about the childish posts this thread has been cleaned up. Enough of the crap, if you have something positive to add great, if not let it be. If any of you have a problem with this p/m me directly.

After fielding a few complaints about the childish posts this thread has been cleaned up. Enough of the crap, if you have something positive to add great, if not let it be. If any of you have a problem with this p/m me directly.
Sorry, Don... Just having some friendly fun... "Childish" though?? OK... I'll keep that in mind in the future.

Sorry, Don... Just having some friendly fun... "Childish" though?? OK... I'll keep that in mind in the future.
Childish is precisely how 3 different people (who were not active posting on the thread but following it) described it. There's nothing wrong with having "fun" but those posts were way off topic and yes I agreed that a couple were completely uncalled for grade school level which is why they were purged.

Last edited by a moderator:
Childish is precisely how 3 different people (who were not active posting on the thread but following it) described it. There's nothing wrong with having "fun" but those posts were way off topic and yes I agreed that a couple were completely uncalled for grade school level which is why they were purged.
Noted... God Bless America...

Shoot - Looks as though I missed the main event. Got caught up later. Laughed and smiled for hours.

I didn't find anything childish. Just some good old fashioned ribbing.

Don - Be carefull with selective censorship. Take a look at what it did to Rumrunner.

Good Day - Doug

Shoot - Looks as though I missed the main event. Got caught up later. Laughed and smiled for hours.

I didn't find anything childish. Just some good old fashioned ribbing.

Don - Be carefull with selective censorship. Take a look at what it did to Rumrunner.

Good Day - Doug
Selective censorship ............ you crack me up. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

There's that string of smiley faces again. Good gosh! Lets all man up and get rid of these things.

Something to remember.. This IS A private FOURM. Tom selects the mods and they make the calls.. Lots of people DONATE money to keep this place kicking however that's a DONATION.. not a necessity.

We have to live with the decisions made by the mods.. no more no less.. everybody knows their choices.

Just the way it is..

Rock and roll!

Grim

Latest posts

Back