P Ltd/Spec Batteries?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim leyde

OK, I have a question. While running P Ltd/Spec what is the "RULE" with the batteries? I always thought it was 14.8 volts max with 5000mah max...... I see some people running more MAH?????

IMPBA nationally does not officially recognize P limited/spec. Namba has P limited. P class in either is a 4S or 14.8v power. NAMBA has a battery limit of 10000mah total. IMPBA does not limit mah's. The reality of P limited is you should not need more than 5000ma cells. I can get by with 4000ma in my tunnels running light but can't prop up and have a 20% cushion at the end of the run. Bigger batteries means you carry more weight for the entire run. That is where the real tunning of an FE comes in. How big a prop vs how much battery to carry and not overheat.

Mic

I don't know Tim. The guys are still arguing about the P-Limited classes on OSE. First it was speed controllers. Now it's motors. IMPBA districts that are running the limited classes all appear to happy they way their rules are written. Any national rule that conflicts with a club or district's rules is going to breed malcontent. I know that will be the case in my district. No other FE class has caused so much devision. I just don't know if the positives outweigh the negatives.

Last edited by a moderator:
The guys are still arguing about the P-Limited classes on OSE. First it was speed controllers. Now it's motors. IMPBA districts that are running the limited classes all appear to happy they way their rules are written. Any national rule that conflicts with a club or district's rules is going to breed malcontent. I know that will be the case in my district. No other FE class has caused so much division. I just don't know if the positives outweigh the negatives.
Well said Mike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8cpkwPAbY0

Most have forgotten why they are racing a Spec class.. Now.. Its about winning… tossing limits to the side as a hindrance…. It was only a matter of time.

Cost should not dictate a good “spec” class but rather availability (It’s a ANYBODY can easily get the stuff).. but we know cost is a concern. I/we understand that.

Most users are WAY outside the limits of the equipment.. but we take that to heart too.. We are working to improve our products though torture testing beyond the product callouts. I don’t know where that ends.. (as you know I race Nitro boats and that’s a huge reason why).. not dissing FE in anyway.. that’s just me.. ALL nitro racing classes have limits and displacement is that wicked mistress. You cannot change that no matter how you spin the math or how many decades go by!

The best you can do is let FE spec burn its self out.. We will come out with another "SuperVee" type boat and they will all come back to what it was. Then that too will burn out.. over and over.

Grim

OK, I have a question. While running P Ltd/Spec what is the "RULE" with the batteries? I always thought it was 14.8 volts max with 5000mah max...... I see some people running more MAH?????
I'm not sure what others are running in NAMBA, but I use standard Aircraft style Thunder Power 5000mAh 65C packs with 5.5mm contacts in most of my P-Limited setups, including my Lynx, which is currently (no punn intended) "pretty darn fast"... Averages about 85-90A's, and I only run a 100A ESC (Castle ICE 100)... Not sure that qualifies as "way outside" the design limits.

I have see people running up to 10,000 mah packs, but that's usually for the extra weight because they are trying to run boats that are too small for the speeds.

I personally don't know any of the "front runners" in the P-Ltd classes that are burning up a lot of equipment in order to compete. I know that the fasted P-Ltd Hydro in the country comes in after a heat at around 110-degrees. RC Car racers race their equipment well into the 250+ range, so I just don't see the "abuse" in P-Limited.

People who are burning stuff up, outside of those who are unfortunate enough to get a bad motor from time to time, are doing it because their answer to going faster is always to go bigger/more prop... and don't spend the time getting a proper handling hull, setup for the power system.

I have heard of issues elsewhere in the country, so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but here in the NW, we seem to be doing OK with the rules as they currently exist, and don't really have a pile of burnt up parts as a result.

I don't know Tim. The guys are still arguing about the P-Limited classes on OSE. First it was speed controllers. Now it's motors. IMPBA districts that are running the limited classes all appear to happy they way their rules are written. Any national rule that conflicts with a club or district's rules is going to breed malcontent. I know that will be the case in my district. No other FE class has caused so much devision. I just don't know if the positives outweigh the negatives.
I agree, and disagree. If IMPBA makes a national rule. It can still be up to the club not to follow if that's what the.majority in that particular club wants.

I believe with no rules at all from IMPBA, it makes it too confusing for a guy to start running FE.

Can you go over the "rules" in the NW, please.

Battery/mAh?

Motor?

ESC?

I by all means am not being a smarta$$. Just nice to see it for myself and for others.

Thanks

TL

Battery/mAh?

Motor?

ESC?

Thanks

TL
There aren't "NW" rules... there are NAMBA rules... They are in the NAMBA rulebook.

Here is a summary, as well as a snapshot from the NAMBA rules:

Any ONE of the listed P-Limited motors. Any battery from 10.1 to 15.0V (3S or 4S), up to 10,000mAh max... ESCs are Open... No hull over 34" long. Hull types are:

Hydro

Mono

Cat

Sport Hydro

plus

Offshore

With the batteries we have available now, and the amp limitations on these systems, I've found that anyhing over 6,000mAh (and that's for Offshore, 4-Min races), is just added weight.

Hope this helps...

Just what I thought, the guys running two 7.4 packs at 6000mah in my club are OVER... Not following any rules. I was under the assumption our club was following the NAMBA rules. This may make are next race interesting.

TL

Battery/mAh?

Motor?

ESC?

Thanks

TL
There aren't "NW" rules... there are NAMBA rules... They are in the NAMBA rulebook.

Here is a summary, as well as a snapshot from the NAMBA rules:

Any ONE of the listed P-Limited motors. Any battery from 10.1 to 15.0V (3S or 4S), up to 10,000mAh max... ESCs are Open... No hull over 34" long. Hull types are:

Hydro

Mono

Cat

Sport Hydro

plus

Offshore

With the batteries we have available now, and the amp limitations on these systems, I've found that anyhing over 6,000mAh (and that's for Offshore, 4-Min races), is just added weight.

Hope this helps...
Yes, and I don't see why it would be so **** hard for IMPBA to just follow this!!!!

Just what I thought, the guys running two 7.4 packs at 6000mah in my club are OVER... Not following any rules. I was under the assumption our club was following the NAMBA rules. This may make are next race interesting.

TL
Two 6000ma 7.4 packs in series is 6000ma at 14.8v. In parallel there is 12000ma but still only 7.4v.

Mic

OK, I'm learning. So, is there any advantage from 5000 to 6000 performance wise? Mic, you have been so helpful.

Thanks

TL

Yes, and I don't see why it would be so **** hard for IMPBA to just follow this!!!!
There are compelling reasons why to NOT make this a "National Class"... Nothing that can't be overcome, but even as careful as we try to be here in NAMBA, whenever someone does something unexpected (P-Ltd Hydro > 80mph SAW, P-Ltd OPC Lynx doing 1:28.44 6-Lap times, etc.), people's reaction to this is that we must somehow be cheating the rules. (Illegal heat shrink, rewinding motors, etc...)... It's kind of sad, really.

Teching and varying manufacturing of motors (quality issues) seems to be the two most prevelant issues.

Asside from the contacts supplied, I'm perfectly ready to do a handout program at National events... With the variety of motors, however, that would be a logistical nightmare, but it would hopefully illiminate the criticism and false accusations...

TL
Two 6000ma 7.4 packs in series is 6000ma at 14.8v. In parallel there is 12000ma but still only 7.4v.

Mic
Beat me to it... Spot on, Mic...

OK, I'm learning. So, is there any advantage from 5000 to 6000 performance wise? Mic, you have been so helpful.

Thanks

TL
I have not found one for 6-Lap heat racing. Several of my racing friends, who I trust very much, said the same.

The "hottest" and best setup P-Limited boats I've seen use around 2400mAh or so for a 6-Lap heat race, which includes the mill lap. The extra millivolts you might gain on Lap 5 and 6 don't overcome the additional weight you are carrying, from what I've experienced. YMMV... :)

Thanks

TL
I have not found one for 6-Lap heat racing. Several of my racing friends, who I trust very much, said the same.

The "hottest" and best setup P-Limited boats I've seen use around 2400mAh or so for a 6-Lap heat race, which includes the mill lap. The extra millivolts you might gain on Lap 5 and 6 don't overcome the additional weight you are carrying, from what I've experienced. YMMV... :)
Thank you Darin. I will not be running 5000 in a tunnel again...

Back