OT - Oilfield Math

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Ferrette

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Vendor
This is really simple and should be easy since it's 4th grade level math..........

A 15 mpg clunker that travels 12,000 miles a year uses 800 gallons of gas a year.

A 25 mpg vehicle that travels 12,000 miles a year uses 480 gallons a year.

So, the average Cash for Clunkers transaction will reduce US gasoline consumption by 320 gallons per year.

They claim 700,000 clunkers were turned-in, so that's 224 million gallons saved per year..

That equates to a bit over 5 million barrels of oil.

5 million barrels is about 5 hours worth of US consumption.

More importantly, 5 million barrels of oil at $70 per barrel costs about $350 million dollars

So, the government paid $3 billion of our tax dollars to save $350 million.

We spent $8.57 for every dollar we saved.

So what kind of job do you think they'll do with our health care?????

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

This is really simple and should be easy since it's 4th grade level math..........

A 15 mpg clunker that travels 12,000 miles a year uses 800 gallons of gas a year.

So, the average Cash for Clunkers transaction will reduce US gasoline consumption by 320 gallons per year.

They claim 700,000 clunkers were turned-in, so that's 224 million gallons saved per year..

More importantly, 5 million barrels of oil at $70 per barrel costs about $350 million dollars

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
No! you got it wrong Dave! "WE " tax payers spent $3 billion of "OUR" tax dollars to save $350 million. The guys in Washington dont have to pay taxes remember? (I know I'm being sinical but it's hard not to.)

The math seems very simple but it's actually not.

When a car is purchased thousands of dollars are paid in taxes. People who build cars pay taxes. Dealership employees pay taxes. Imported cars pay a tarrif and then the people who work in the ports pay more taxes then truckers deliver them..... You get the idea. It's not nearly as easy to quantify all of that. Another thing to consider is that it takes time for programs like this to get approved. The reason it was started is because in July of 2008 oil was $147 a barrel and nobody knew when it would stop going up. The idea was to save jobs which it did. Clean up the air in major cities and reduce our dependence on foriegn oil.

Since we are talking about oil math though there is another equation that is much easier to figure: When George Bush took office in January 2000 oil was $24.73 a barrel. By the time he left office it had reached a high of $147 a barrel. A much harder math problem would be figuring out how much THAT costed us all. Sorry but my calculator won't go that high......

Ol "W' is Still gettin' blamed for everything,, :blink: Its much better now tho huh?
Just goes to show there's still some Kool-Aid in circulation. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Saved jobs?? Oh please, it's already been shown numerous times that was a line of BS that had no factual backing, just a bunch of hooey from the political spin machine. :wacko:

Not to mention there is far more money that would circulate amongst hard working tax paying citizens in the form of parts sales and service working on those older vehicles, take it from someone who knows. And don't kid yourself, the imported new vehicles don't pay jack squat for tariffs like it should be, all part of the cushy behind closed door deals and what NAFTA has cost this country. :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:

When a car is purchased thousands of dollars are paid in taxes. People who build cars pay taxes. Dealership employees pay taxes. Imported cars pay a tarrif and then the people who work in the ports pay more taxes then truckers deliver them..... You get the idea. It's not nearly as easy to quantify all of that. Another thing to consider is that it takes time for programs like this to get approved. The reason it was started is because in July of 2008 oil was $147 a barrel and nobody knew when it would stop going up. The idea was to save jobs which it did. Clean up the air in major cities and reduce our dependence on foriegn oil.

Since we are talking about oil math though there is another equation that is much easier to figure: When George Bush took office in January 2000 oil was $24.73 a barrel. By the time he left office it had reached a high of $147 a barrel. A much harder math problem would be figuring out how much THAT costed us all. Sorry but my calculator won't go that high......

Seems like we are now going to get into the micro and macro enconomics subject format based on the above post, humm I remember those classes well when I was in college. The funny thing about this clash for clunker bill is that they didn't wait until the CBO had provide information with regards to the actual vs. the subjective cost impact this bill would have. Also I don't think "W" was the individual who proposed this Bill I believe it was the "Pelosi Pact" that pushed it forward just like the last few major disasters trying to be force feed to the majority of the American Tax Payers. "W" is also being blamed again for the price of oil going up geeze I thought the arab nations determined the price for oil for which we so heavily relie on because we cannot tap our own energy reserves here in our own country . I just think Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reed, Chuck Schumer, Barney Frank and Chris Dodd are the greatest. They are just so much smarter that the founding fathers of our country and have truly followed the enlightened path of their progessive leader "Woodrow Wilson" he was truly the enlighted one that keeps their torch burning. Well off my soap box for now.

Your Gubmint is always looking out for you!

Down at the shop, they're changing out all of the low-pressure sodium lights for fluorescents because of a huge tax break. Years ago they got rid of them for energy savings. The stupid thing is that the fluorescents that they want all of us ot switch over to are considered hazardous waste so we're supposed to take the burned-out ones to a hazardous waste center to get rid of them.

The Good Old Boys in DC what us to run electric cars. Gee, where does the electricity come from? An oil or coal fired generator? Maybe that nuclear stuff that we have to bury in your backyard in a big old cement vault. When the batteries are shot, you're off to the hazardous waste center again to dispose of them.

Job stimulus money. Hey, let's fix up those bumpy highways! That'll provide jobs! The state contracts some out-of-state outfit to do the work, after all, we need I-94 in great shape when the semi's are hauling all of the machinery from Canada and Michigan down to Mexico!

Good Post Ron. I had a similar discussion about those wonderful light bulbs and the electric cars a few weeks ago with some locals here in my neck of the woods.

Good Post Ron. I had a similar discussion about those wonderful light bulbs and the electric cars a few weeks ago with some locals here in my neck of the woods.
Not to mention none of those compact fluorescent lights are even made in this country (you can guess where they're being made) because they cannot meet the EPA regs for domestic production. Go look up the MSDS sheet on what you're supposed to do if you break one in your house. Of course they conveniently leave that out as they push everyone to switch over. :blink:

and now that their selling cars again, we can't make spark plugs fast enough

Every President has put it to you, some just use different positions! You can't put the entire blame on them as things start at the bottom then work their way up so don't forget to thank your Senators and Congressmen.

I thougt this was a rc boat forum not a politcal forum
Pete

This is an rc boat forum that has the keen insight to realize that people have different opinions. Letting them speak them when they feel that they should or need to. No one has to like your opinion but at least you are free enough in this forum and country to say it.

Also, the "OT" in the thread topic is an indicator that it's not about boats and that you may encounter someone else's political opinin. If you do not want to hear someone elses opinion then don't read the thread.

Just realize that whatever your opinions are, somewhere, there is someone else who does not believe in yours.

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Pete

This is an rc boat forum that has the keen insight to realize that people have different opinions. Letting them speak them when they feel that they should or need to. No one has to like your opinion but at least you are free enough in this forum and country to say it.

Also, the "OT" in the thread topic is an indicator that it's not about boats and that you may encounter someone else's political opinin. If you do not want to hear someone elses opinion then don't read the thread.

Just realize that whatever your opinions are, somewhere, there is someone else who does not believe in yours.

Bill

I guess I got sucked in on my very first post on this board. I just wanted to make the point that the figures are not AS bad as the first post indicated. Both sides will always slant the numbers in their favor but one fact still holds true: You can either hope the president fails in all his endeavors so you can say "I told you so" or you can hope we pull out of this recession. Myself personally.... I will take the second option.

Well I make transmission pats for a living..... speaking about just my little department in just my one company.... at the worst before cash for clunkers we were down to 8 employees on 1 shift. After cash for clunkers my department can't make parts fast enough. Most all of my friends got their jobs back. Another will be starting back tomorrow. We now have 18 employees in my department.

You will never convince me cash for clunkers was not worth it.

I work for BorgWarner making friction paper for friction plates inside of automatic transmissions. We make them for almost everybody. GM Ford Chrystler... Honda Toyota mercedes audi bmw.... hyundai, Kia.... about 80% of automatic transmissions sold in the usa have my paper in them.

Without exagerating if my line blew up (and it could) the auto industry would be almost shutdown for a while......

My favorite customers.... Hyundai and Kia.... ill be making korean paper all weekend... Good markup going to them. We will ship about 1/2 a mill to them this weekend at about 50% profit margin....sorry too much info huh?

Pete

Bill

I guess I got sucked in on my very first post on this board. I just wanted to make the point that the figures are not AS bad as the first post indicated. Both sides will always slant the numbers in their favor but one fact still holds true: You can either hope the president fails in all his endeavors so you can say "I told you so" or you can hope we pull out of this recession. Myself personally.... I will take the second option.
"hope we pull out of this recession",, by something "the president" will do? Good luck with that pal,, we already seen his bloomers.

Your Gubmint is always looking out for you!

Down at the shop, they're changing out all of the low-pressure sodium lights for fluorescents because of a huge tax break. Years ago they got rid of them for energy savings. The stupid thing is that the fluorescents that they want all of us ot switch over to are considered hazardous waste so we're supposed to take the burned-out ones to a hazardous waste center to get rid of them.

The Good Old Boys in DC what us to run electric cars. Gee, where does the electricity come from? An oil or coal fired generator? Maybe that nuclear stuff that we have to bury in your backyard in a big old cement vault. When the batteries are shot, you're off to the hazardous waste center again to dispose of them.

Job stimulus money. Hey, let's fix up those bumpy highways! That'll provide jobs! The state contracts some out-of-state outfit to do the work, after all, we need I-94 in great shape when the semi's are hauling all of the machinery from Canada and Michigan down to Mexico!
hey ron, i haul hazmat for a living and it is rediculous how far and how much$$$ it costs to get these batteries and light bulbs to the recycling places throughout the usa. one place i go to in PA acually recycles the mercury out of the flouro bulbs and resells it to other companies.so if you add up all the fuel and emmissions,does it really make any sence?

Back