Os or Thunder Tiger ?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musk-rat

I have been reading some of the post on the differences between the OS and Thunder Tiger outboards, but most of the post are two to three years old. How competative is the Thunder Tiger engine compared to the OS? Would I even have a chance against the OS outboard if I got the Thunder Tiger?

I personaly love the TT engines. They run great. They do need a little work to be competative, but as little as a custom head button. But you wont find many on here that like them. Stock for stock, the OS has it beat, but with a custom head button, and abit more compression, the TT will run just fine. Plenty capable of achieving mid 40's, driveable, sport tunnel hull.

I personaly love the TT engines. They run great. They do need a little work to be competative, but as little as a custom head button. But you wont find many on here that like them. Stock for stock, the OS has it beat, but with a custom head button, and abit more compression, the TT will run just fine. Plenty capable of achieving mid 40's, driveable, sport tunnel hull.
Very well worded - Rodney... Thanks for being so cautious on this one. :eek: :lol:

The OS is great but I think the TT that I'm working on will be just as good. I do have both, the OS is VERY dependable and the TT is modded like Rodney said. I have the OS on a Vision and is fantastic when set up right(now it is currently swimming with the fishes) and the TT is awaiting a different hull. It is currently on an Aquacraft and is difficult to set up. BUT when it hits the right water it wants to fly. Will let you know after my 2 hulls get here how they compare. One has been shipped and am waiting word on the other. Tom

Thanks for the replies. It will be my first year running tunnel in the stock class. I am just trying to justify the price differnece.

im perdy sure everybody knows my opinion on this subject,,,and dubs would state the same if he were still around...

rodney hit the nail on the head for sure...stock for stock the o.s will out run the tt... BUT,,,, the tt with a little lovin and you have your self a good runnin engine..

the tt o/b has been around for many many years,,were talkin from the 90's type stuff....thing about thunder tiger is it keeps coming back around,,,,which is great.....now in my opinion if it was a o.s,,, it would be gone forever as when they dump stuff,,,they really dump it,,,typically never to be seen again....im not saying this would happen with the xm,,,but it wouldnt surprise me one bit if it did...

im in the tt crowd,,,nothin else for me,,another plus of tt is that perdy much any buggy .21 is adaptable to the lower...so if you go mod,,,the possibilitys are huge...

super simple to choose a prop as there are only a few that will shine on it...

i guess im done tootin the tt horn...lol...

i gotta get back to work...lol...

alden

The OS (non piped) with a "little" loving, will smoke a TT (non piped) with a whole lot of lovin. Just the truth of it. I have seen some very fast piped TT's run, but in the sport class (stock muffler, etc), you wont beat a properly set-up OS.

Just look at the race results, and what all of the fast guys are running. That will tell you all you need to know. I have been to every World Tunnel Champs race since the inception, 6 years now. I can count on one or two fingers how many Thunder Tigers have actually been run, much less actually placed. Just being honest here, you asked if you would have a chance with a TT, the answer would be NO in our neck of the woods (dont know where you are located) in the stock/sport class.

With that being said ( :D ), as the IMPBA National Outboard Director, I would never discourage anyone from buying a particular brand if it meant they wouldnt start racing tunnels. By all means, buy the TT and run the snot out of it if you arent sure about spending that much money yet. You can have a WHOLE lot of fun with any engine.... just get out there, and the rest will come!

~ James

Last edited by a moderator:
The OS (non piped) with a "little" loving, will smoke a TT (non piped) with a whole lot of lovin. Just the truth of it. I have seen some very fast piped TT's run, but in the sport class (stock muffler, etc), you wont beat a properly set-up OS.

Just look at the race results, and what all of the fast guys are running. That will tell you all you need to know. I have been to every World Tunnel Champs race since the inception, 6 years now. I can count on one or two fingers how many Thunder Tigers have actually been run, much less actually placed. Just being honest here, you asked if you would have a chance with a TT, the answer would be NO in our neck of the woods (dont know where you are located) in the stock/sport class.

With that being said ( :D ), as the IMPBA National Outboard Director, I would never discourage anyone from buying a particular brand if it meant they wouldnt start racing tunnels. By all means, buy the TT and run the snot out of it if you arent sure about spending that much money yet. You can have a WHOLE lot of fun with any engine.... just get out there, and the rest will come!

~ James

James,

If you run for president I'm voting for YOU!!!! I don't think anyone I know could have been more politically correct on an answer than you just were with that response......... ;)

u betch ya,,,id be happy to take all the tt's these guys dont want......lol....like you said,,,,more for us.....lol....

cool.gif

Which ever one gets you on the water and running boats.

Right at this moment Larry neither power plants can help me........... Very well put, thats why I chose the TT cheap and heck after 10-12 years or how ever old my TTs are they still keep on going and get me on the water!!!!!!

OS is my favorite, but with not having a pay increase in 4yrs and the price of them going up all the time. I will not buy a new one. I believe they will have a some strong competition at a far less expensive price soon.

Tim

Latest posts

Back