Old inboard marine engines

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OzzieBOB

Hi Guys, myself and a friend in the States are trying to find out as much information as we can on an old Japanese made model

marine engine, so we would love to hear from any "old timers" who may have seen one of these engines, or even better - actually own one ! The engine in question is an ENYA 60 Marine and these date from about 1961 to 1963. They are the early sand cast crankcase models, and have a 6 bolt front housing. What makes them so interesting is that unlike most other marine engines (converted from air cooled) which had a separate brass water jacket around the upper cylinder area, these engines had

that area merely left as cast. In other words, instead of having the air cooling fins machined into the case (as in the aircraft models) these old suckers just had the crankcase left as cast with a pipe going in one side, and out the other. What we want to know is - how did they get the water passages in there ? Were they somehow cast in, or machined in ? Did they have a "wet" liner, as in some car engines ? If you can throw any light on this mystery ( they are quite rare now ), either reply on forum, or

you can email me direct at - [email protected] ,or my buddy in the States ( Pat King who is an engineer in IL ) at -

[email protected] Pat and I have been working for several years now to document the history of the ENYA brand, and if you would like to see some of our efforts so far, go to Google and type in Supercool Racing Propellers. When you reach the home page of SRP, click onto "Articles" up the top, and look for ENYA. The web address is - http://www.supercoolprops.com/articles/

One other thing with these old ENYA 60's - they were imported into the States by International Models Inc., and would have the

initials I.M.I. stamped on a mount lug. Thanks in advance for any information ! BOB ALLAN OzzieBOB.

Back