OFFICIAL HOBART RACE COMMENTS...........

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
great time good racing, what a welcome mat the city laid out! we had an "impromptu banquet " saturday nite at the PARK restraunt. i was questioning the locals about where to eat a good meal with out traveling to the food chain row. here it was just across the dam on the north end. tom saddler and i ate breakfast there and tom grabbed a menu. we started checking it out. we started passing the word had 50 people show up! what a deal!

a definate must do event!

We are glad everyone had a good time. We certainly enjoyed ourselves too. It was the racers and their families that made the race great. We thank you all for your interactions with the good people of Hobart it did much to promote our hobby. We also want to thank all of you that came to help us whether it was calling the race, pit bossing, or anything we asked of you. We couldn't have done it without you. Now for the race results.

Multi-Engine

1st Stu Barr

2nd Nub Kopisca

3rd Ron Zaker Jr

RTR

1st GrimRacer

2nd Jeff Schindler

3rd Don Brown

Sport 20

1st Chris Wood

2nd Bryon Nesvacil

3rd Chuck Hildreth

Sport 40

1st Chuck Hildreth

2nd David Preusse

3rd Bert Dygert

1/8 Scale

1st Gary Preusse

2nd Chuck Hildreth

3rd Doug Shepherd

Concours - GrimRacer

B-Hydro

1st Brad Beckner

2nd Steve Ball

3rd Ron Zaker Jr

D-Hydro

1st David Preusse

2nd Greg Hahn

3rd Ron Zaker Jr

E-Hydro

1st Ron Zaker Jr

2nd David Preusse

3rd Chris Grim

F-Hydro

1st Stu Barr

2nd Nub Kopisca

3rd Mark Grim

Unlimited

1st Stu Barr

2nd Todd Gunder

3rd Bruce Jacobs

B-Sport Outboard

1st GrimRacer

2nd Bryon Nevacil

3rd Mike Crawford

Open Outboard

1st Jeff Moore

2nd Brad Beckner

3rd Fred Uftring

Classic Thunderboat

1st Brian Blazer

2nd Phil Thomas

3rd Doug Shepherd

Gas Kat

1st Gus Dolsen

2nd Mike Laing

3rd Bruce Solberg

Open Gas

1st Brian Blazer

2nd Todd Gunder

3rd Chris Grim

Open Mono

1st Mark Voorhies

2nd Wes Ellet

3rd Francois Peilleron

Thanks again. Bruce, Stu, Kyle and Paula

One word-

AMAZING!!!

Thanks to Stu, Bruce and the gang for this race and especially the City of Hobart, I have never been to an event that the entire town seemed to turn on for this and can't wait to have us back. Simply awesome time. B)

gallery_4478_624_73524.jpg
Being born and raised in Hobart and surrouned with boating all of my life, all I can really say is I am blown away with the event and with it taking place as it did.

Top that with an excellent agenda of town involvement and a smooth, consistent race flow of classes from sun up to sunset being put on right in front of your eyes with good announcing and never one heat passing by without something special happening.

I am glad to see such a positive response to Hobart from everyone here at IW, thats whats great. And to hear it will be comming back even stronger next year has me pumped and I already know I wont be disappointed.

I have to mention how nice it is to watch the race here with the pier and the bridge to stand on. That's not even mentioning the long walkway where the whole race is at your feet. You could not ever be any closer to the action. That was another top that stood out and hope more will get to experience it.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was a great race and the whole indy club did a great job putting it on. The whole town seemed to be there which made racing much more exciting with reactions from the crowd. I also thought the metime live thing was really cool too because boaters at home could watch all the great racing they missed out on. It was really fun racing with alot of my favorite drivers around the country side by side and was cool giving stu a race in unlimited with Bobs JAGUAR. I had a blast.

JP, great to meet you in person then showing you around, pointing out some of the more well-known people from here on this site that I know. A lot of people either saw or talked to me not knowing who I am, maybe a good thing! :D

C'mon, I know that you've got more shots than that, let's see them!

Just rolled in about a 1/2 hour ago. This was not a race, it was a spectacle, the Daytona 500 of Model Boat Racing. Thanks to the town of Hobart(pronounced Hobert :D ),Stu, Bruce, Paula, Pit Chick :D and all the others that made it happen. The Town officals race was great, congrats to the 4 team, remember it's all in the launch. :lol: WOW, truly amazing, be back next year with more boats. Hammer B) B) B) B) B) B) "OFF THE BONE" :lol: :lol:

To all involved in this race thank you very much.

This race was a new page in RC boating for all of us.

From the racer standpoint Im not sure there was much that the city or the Indy club should or could have done different to make this race any better. It was as good a race as I have ever been to and ranks #1 for me in 2009.

I feel the reason for this is the PEOPLE. The people in RC boating are the best and the number one reason (check the MeTime interviews) the racers that attended..

I would also like to personally thank those that joined in to support my favorite charity during the awards ceremony. You know who you are and I thank you from the bottom of my heart. The money will go to good use like pots, pans and pillows.. just everyday needs for those recovering.

Grimracer

I gota tell ya.. getting a close look at that clock tower trophy.. the craftsmanship is incredible! What an honor!

It's really hard to put into words what this Hobart race snowballed into. As your pit boss would say,"it was FABULOUS" Congrats to all winners! Thanks to all involved.

Ron Zaker Jr

Seeing as I'm a man of few words. All I can say is Awesome!!! The rest of you just about covered it. Thanks Indy club, Hobart and all the people that made it happen. I really enjoyed this one. See you next year.

Later, Ron

There is nothing left to say about the race. It was the highlight of the summer racing for me. It didn't hurt that I won the 20 hydro class. Thanks to the Wood Racing for the 20 blackbird hydro. I can't say thank you enough to Steve Ball for all his help with my 20 Hawk (for that matter my 40 hydro as well).

Brad Beckner

We are putting together a list for additional T-shirts, as we didn't order enough spares. So if you would like one please e-mail Miss Paula at [email protected], and we will get another order together. They will still be 12.00, but if we have to mail them we will need to cover postage. Include your mailing address and shirt size in the message.

I thank all of you that attended and as usual you make all the work to put this show together worth it. This race was over a year in the making and we had hoped to get 30-40 people to show up to let Hobart see what boat racing was all about. I think we accomplished that and they seemed to like it. Again thanks to all that pitched in to help with running the race, it does take a village to host this race and we live in the best one. Thanks guys, bj

JP, great to meet you in person then showing you around, pointing out some of the more well-known people from here on this site that I know. A lot of people either saw or talked to me not knowing who I am, maybe a good thing!
biggrin.gif

Ron, it was a good time hanging out with you and thanks for showing me around the pits. I had a great time! The race had me wishing the Clock Tower race was every weekend.

I took enough pics to last the rest of the year for me at that race, plus some videos. I'm still pouring through it cropping some of the photos and also putting together a movie clip. I will add a folder and let everyone know when it's ready so everyone can check it out. Being the cheap-O that I am I still have dial-up so I've been doing as much as my patience and time will allow so far with it.

I bet if someone had a sales tent up with RTR, they would have done fairly decent! I would hate to see the event turn into one big sales pitch, but there were a lot of younger people wondering who what and where to hook up with some of it. Another thing that would have been cool would be to have a class roster and finishing results posted for the public to view as the racing progressed. Not only were people getting a kick out of watching, they wanted to follow the finish results. There was more than one handfull of people that were there all three days that totally loved what they were seeing but wanted to follow what was happening more closely with the results. Some were lost as to how the heats were set up as far as how many laps, course length, how the start clock worked to start the race, mill time etc.

I'm mentioning this not to knock the race, the race was awesome but these could be some ideas for next year if not already thought of. There IS a good public interest in it!!! This area is absolutely full of hot rod fanatics and has been for many years with car shows and huge cruise nights around, and having this race really sparked a lot of people!
smile.gif

JP, great to meet you in person then showing you around, pointing out some of the more well-known people from here on this site that I know. A lot of people either saw or talked to me not knowing who I am, maybe a good thing!
biggrin.gif

Ron, it was a good time hanging out with you and thanks for showing me around the pits. I had a great time! The race had me wishing the Clock Tower race was every weekend.

I took enough pics to last the rest of the year for me at that race, plus some videos. I'm still pouring through it cropping some of the photos and also putting together a movie clip. I will add a folder and let everyone know when it's ready so everyone can check it out. Being the cheap-O that I am I still have dial-up so I've been doing as much as my patience and time will allow so far with it.

I bet if someone had a sales tent up with RTR, they would have done fairly decent! I would hate to see the event turn into one big sales pitch, but there were a lot of younger people wondering who what and where to hook up with some of it. Another thing that would have been cool would be to have a class roster and finishing results posted for the public to view as the racing progressed. Not only were people getting a kick out of watching, they wanted to follow the finish results. There was more than one handfull of people that were there all three days that totally loved what they were seeing but wanted to follow what was happening more closely with the results. Some were lost as to how the heats were set up as far as how many laps, course length, how the start clock worked to start the race, mill time etc.

I'm mentioning this not to knock the race, the race was awesome but these could be some ideas for next year if not already thought of. There IS a good public interest in it!!! This area is absolutely full of hot rod fanatics and has been for many years with car shows and huge cruise nights around, and having this race really sparked a lot of people!
smile.gif
It would take some additional time but a race program could be put together especially for the fans. In it you could put all the info you could think a new comer would want to know plus human interest stories of who to watch out for. Since you have a one year under your belt you can easily select last year's top three to write about. I am sure you can easily sell them for $5 bucks or so to recoup the cost, they may have printer and graphic designer that might be interested in sponsoring such a piece or you can even make money by getting all the local businesses to buy an ad. Anyone of those ideas should cover the cost plus give spectators a source of reference. Thinking big I have always wanted to use transponders on the boats simply to tie it to a database that contained names, faces and pictures of boats that could be displayed on huge jumbotron or something. That way spectators could see who is in what place at all times.

Sounds like you guys did an outstanding job. Reading the postings I am thinking to start making plans to go to your race now. Keep this up and the Speed Channel might show up which would be all good for the exposure of the hobby. It's about time we stepped our game up to compete with all the other things people can do with their time these days. Plus kids need a good reason to get off those video games anyway. Real life is much harder and their is no pause, restart or do over.

Good Job Guys!!!

I don't know if a lot of racers there knew what this city has gone through. Almost exactly a year ago it was hit with a major flood. The bridge off turns 1, 2 and 3 was under water.

The people in the city are happy to see the centerpiece of their town being used for anything.

If you want to see how bad it was a year ago, do a search for Hobart, IN in You Tube.

Back