ODMBA

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dick,

I'm getting a good bit of feedback from racers that do not want the ODMBA Invitational moved out of the traditional August dates it has occupied since it's inception well over 25 years ago. In all the years I've attended that event I can only recall like twice that it was really hot, we've seen more issues from passing hurricanes over the years than excessive heat. The chatter I'm hearing is not only from D12 but from others outside the district who've attended the Invitational in the past and are excited about coming back. Got to be totally honest I too would like to see the race stay where it is as every year there was no question whatsoever where we were going in August. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the August date. It is kind of a houshold date for R/C racing with the Richmond guys. Where would you stick the gas bash? Work around the Atlanta and Charlston races for sure. It will be nice to have a place to practice wheel time again. We have all been a bit rusty after losing the Chesapeake site. Just make sure to keep the owner happy. It only takes one person to screw it up. I'm excited about the new site!!!!

For those aging racers, August is BRUTAL time to have a race. Hot and humid all month. I spoke with several racers at the fall nats about the return of the ODMBA club and race and several would like it in a cooler time period. If it is in August I personally cannot come as my dermatologist will not allow me to go into a high heat, high humidity outside activity for several days - skin cancer! I attended most all ODMBA races from 1991 to 2003 and almost every one was hot and humid. Go for late May, cooler and no hurricanes to be worried about. Just my 2CW.

I got a Revolt 30 for the owner (of the lake) to play with :rolleyes: :rolleyes: hopefully I can get him hooked.. LOL

For those aging racers, August is BRUTAL time to have a race. Hot and humid all month. I spoke with several racers at the fall nats about the return of the ODMBA club and race and several would like it in a cooler time period. If it is in August I personally cannot come as my dermatologist will not allow me to go into a high heat, high humidity outside activity for several days - skin cancer! I attended most all ODMBA races from 1991 to 2003 and almost every one was hot and humid. Go for late May, cooler and no hurricanes to be worried about. Just my 2CW.
Brutal? And this is coming from someone who lives in South Carolina? :p As for May that's a bad time to hold an event as 2 of the weekends are already shot with Mother's Day and Memorial Day. Skin cancer..... yup, I had a small spot of basal cell carcinoma removed a few years back (cryosurgery). The dermatologist said to start protecting my skin at all times of outside exposure, not just the summer. He told me the highest risk times are when it's cooler since we become complacent about exposure to the sun, temps and humidity have nothing to do with UV exposure. His words not mine and he's considered to be one of the best around............

Dick,

I always remember the ODMBA Races being in August years ago and August in VA is much better than August in SC and south. It sounds like that date works for so many boaters schedules and seems to be the right time to entice those from different districts to attend. Our group will be there either way. We dont want to miss the ODMBA comeback at their new site, especially since we are now members as well!!!.... :) Thanks for letting out of state members join the fun!!!!.... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Dick - we're stoked to hear you guys are back in business again. August works great - before school and college starts!!! The Blacks will be there and look forward to it. I know it's been a long hard road for you to get back. Regards. Ant.

Dick you need to get with Mike and Earl about the gas bash your club could possibly host 2 events if both clubs work out the details. Mike says his pond is still fighting grass issues.....

I think Dick is doing a outstanding job about being open minded on the Invitational race dates. The major difference between our old pond and the new one is shade. The new pond has ZERO and there is no place to hide. This may be difficult for some contestants to handle in August. Just thought.

I went down to check out the new ODMBA pond today with Keith Thompson and man, do they have a great pond to race boats in! The driver's stand will be long enough for 12 drivers and pit men and is high enough to give you an excellent perspective of the entire race course. There is still a lot of work to do to finish the driver's stand and prepare the pit area. There were quite a few members working today and not just running boats ( good to see! ). The thing that I thought was fantastic was that you can see the Hampton Inn Hotel from the driver's stand across the lake maybe 1/2 mile away. A grocery store, fast food places, they are all right in the same area. Did I say that they had a nice pond? There is plenty of room to get your nitro twin hydros wound up or kill some time off of the clock. A second lake next to the one they run in could be used for a practice pond while racing is going on in the main pond. It doesn't get any better than this. They have more than 35 members already signed up. It's very possible there will be an invitational race and the " Gas Clash " race next year. Stay tuned..................

Dick Tyndall

Thanks for the kind words and your gift,Mr Tyndall also glad to see you are on the mend so well.this should be a fun race site when we get finished.

Thanks Dick Loeb

The pond is everything Mr Tyndall has to say and more!! Thanks to all the guys busting there butts to get it up and ready for 2014. I look forward to spending lots of time there with my boy Grant running boats!

Racing will resume in 2014, site prep is underway at new pond.. I will send out info via email. I will need email address if you are not on my old list of ODMBA members.

STAY TUNED
default_ohmy.png
default_ohmy.png
default_rolleyes.gif
default_rolleyes.gif
Dick Loeb

[email protected]
Dick Loeb I need to know D12 Race schedule please my email is [email protected] I'm looking forward to visiting you guys in 2014.

Julian

Racing will resume in 2014, site prep is underway at new pond.. I will send out info via email. I will need email address if you are not on my old list of ODMBA members.

STAY TUNED
default_ohmy.png
default_ohmy.png
default_rolleyes.gif
default_rolleyes.gif
Dick Loeb

[email protected]
Dick Loeb I need to know D12 Race schedule please my email is [email protected] I'm looking forward to visiting you guys in 2014.

Julian
Hey J, the D12 schedule won't be set until after the district meeting in Feb. No 2014 district race dates are set yet, club races are up to the clubs but typically set around district stuff once we all talk about and approve everything.

STAY TUNED
default_ohmy.png
default_ohmy.png
default_rolleyes.gif
default_rolleyes.gif
Dick Loeb

[email protected]

Julian
Hey J, the D12 schedule won't be set until after the district meeting in Feb. No 2014 district race dates are set yet, club races are up to the clubs but typically set around district stuff once we all talk about and approve everything.
Thank you luv ya bye bye

Just received pics of the new drivers stand the guys worked on over the weekend. This stand rocks!! It should support from 8-10 drivers and their callers!!! Can you tell they are already thinking "National Races"? The guys will be starting on the CD tower next so stay tuned for more pic updates!!

That looks great! Can't wait to get back to being able to run boats so I can get down there an experience the new site first hand.

Back