NW Scale Hydroplane Championship Race

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congradulations to John Stubbers awesome job!!!!!

Ok guys I'am back on the right coast... Wow what an experience!!!!! I can't explain how impressed i was with the both the racers and the event itself !!!!!!!

Taking a scale across the country to race in a totaly different climate and not being what you would say an expert in nitro I was Nervous... That all changed by Saturday morning around 8.30 (didnt take long did it),,, Jeff Stubbers went way out of his way to help and offer suggestions for set up and it worked.. Jeff again thanks for all of your Help.... Everyone and i mean everyone came over to offer help time and time again... This is one race where both clubs come togeather and Just Race.... and they welcome outsiders with openarms..... Its hard to race with people that you are not familar with and iam sure these guys were all leary with me..they raced me side by side and its was fun and rewarding to run against these guys..with their driving experience...

Marty---- You have done an excellent job and i'am proud to be associated with this event!!!!!!!

Al Waters-- Glad you are our Leader a huge thankyou for all you do!!!!

Mike McKnight --- thank you also with your help,,,,and we will race again :D (Formula Decals cant wait)

Mr Roger Newton.... thanks for everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave now can i be a member????/

Last edited by a moderator:
These two look new to your list.

06/07 formula (Mike Allen)

94 t-3 Budweiser
Mike can make two heats wowzers and all pristine i imagine. The NorthWest race sounds AWESOME gotta try it sometime just for the THRILL.........Mikey

Mike S....you gotta come out and do it. I went up for the first time this year and I had a blast. Like the format of the race too. Still kicking myself for a DNF in the first round. I could've done much better than the second connie with a few more points. Wasn't a ton of separation in points....very competitive.

Big thanks to Roger Newton for letting me ship my boat to his house and loaning me tools and fuel to race. Big thanks to David Newton and John Stubbers for pitting for me too. They had to settle me down a little since I was a bit nervous and a bit out of my comfort zone. Everybody up there was great and I can't wait to back again with my new boat for next year.

mikey you have an eagle eye my friend :D

anyone who races scales should try to atten this race,, Even the Quality Inn was more than helpful on arranging my receiving and getting my box picked up,,,all around a AWESOME EXPERIENCE...

The NW scale race was a great time, As a dist. 8 racer this was actually my first time running scale and with a barrowed boat I felt great to qualify for the first connie. But a broken throttle linkage ended my day. :angry: My hats off to Marty for a great race and a well run event. Thanks Greg Roth

These two look new to your list.

06/07 formula (Mike Allen)

94 t-3 Budweiser
Mike can make two heats wowzers and all pristine i imagine. The NorthWest race sounds AWESOME gotta try it sometime just for the THRILL.........Mikey

Mikey,

You gotta commit to tryin' it next year. I live about 35 miles away from the Arlington site, but even if it is somewhere else, you are welcome to stay with me....! I'll even buy the 60% (120 proof... right??). Just kiddin! You gotta see this NW Champs race and participate! Still to this day, I appreciate your support in Madison IN (1999?) when running the "Madison" model for Demo's... although I thought I was pretty prepared. You were so nice. I was pretty focused, but I know my father (my lifetime pitman) especially appreciated your support!

Sincerely,

David

I want to thank those that helped out this year by sponsoring the NW Scale Hydroplane Championship Race. We have updated the photos, driver standings and the sponsor’s page on the web site. I want to personally thank Al Waters for taking his time to come up and be Chief Referee for this event. Have a great off-season and start planning for the 2007 NW Scale Hydroplane Race.

Marty

http://stubbersmedia.com/nwshc/racephotos.html

I want to thank those that helped out this year by sponsoring the NW Scale Hydroplane Championship Race. We have updated the photos, driver standings and the sponsor’s page on the web site. I want to personally thank Al Waters for taking his time to come up and be Chief Referee for this event. Have a great off-season and start planning for the 2007 NW Scale Hydroplane Race.

Marty

http://stubbersmedia.com/nwshc/racephotos.html
David the chance to help you and your dad was awesome. I brought my son and it will be something we remember the rest of our lives. I will try real hard to make the race next year,id like the chance to meet some of the best scale guys in the country. We almost always have 10 or more scales at all our races and im yet to win a final but next year some new stuff along with my old reliabe REDMAN i should do better. Keep me in mind as id love to come even if all i could do is watch.....Mikey

Ron;

Had a voice mail this AM from Mike, from Saturday night.

He was sitting in second place points at the end of day one!!!!!!!!!

Ok, just got off the phone with Mike, said he had a fantastic time, the guys out there are some of the nicest people he has had the pleasure of "playing boats" with.

There driving is just phenomenal, he says you better hold your lane out there, in one of his heats, he went into a turn with 5 boats abreast, and 5 boats came out of the turn, in the same lanes.

If you had'nt read there race format, the run five qualifying rounds, top 6 boats transfer into the final, the next 5 boats transfer into the second concy, the next 6 boats go to the 1st concy, I think I have that right????

The winner of the 1st concy transfers to the second concy, the winner of the second concy becomes the trailer boat in the final. WWWWOOOOO thats a lot to remember????

So here' how Mike stacked up

Saturday had 3 Qualifying heats Mike finished 3rd, 2nd, and 1st, putting him in second place points

Sunday would see 2 qualifying heats remainimg, 2 concy's, and final

Mike finished 4 in the 4th qualifier putting him 5th in over all points.

In the 5th and final qualifier the racing gods did not stay with Mike, when he went to start the boat for the 5th round, his eingine was flooded, when the boat finally started, it was running backwards, once they realized that, and shut er down, it became full of fuel again, and would'nt start, so the DNS put him so far down in the points he had to run the 1st concy, he would need to win it to transfer to the 2nd concy.

Unfortunatly, Mike could only muster a second, ending his run for the North West Scale Championship.

He was definitely not down on himself, says he plans to go back out again next year, and hopefully some of his Florida running mates will be able to go with him, sounds like a lot of fun, we'll see???

Needless to say, and the way we all know Mike, being around ALL of those scale boats, he just could'nt stand it, he is coming home with another addition to his stable, I will not spill the beans, I will leave him something to write about once he is back home.

Ok boys from District 3, we now have another seasoned racer to contend with????

He is spending the night at Roger Newtons house, to be closer to the airport, and will be lifting off brite and early, heading back our way.

So there you have it, I'm sure the story's will be running wild in Miami, and I can't wait to hear some of them.

Race report by Rick "cucumber" Bellinger

See ya all in Miami
B) Just a little tip if you come next year. Get yourself some regular old Ronson Lighter Fluid. A small squirt in the carb will fire up a cold or flooded engine. Hard starting is a pretty common problem up here in the spring or fall when it's cold. Hope to see you next year.

Mike Cathey, 99 York Int'l

Question- I noticed in the contestant photos that Roger is shown 3 times with 3 different boats. How many boats are you allowed to enter? :blink:

Roger didn't run three boats. The Bud and the Maverick were boats that he converted to electric and he just ran them for fun between rounds. The Formula didn't run as he concentrated on pitting for David.....oh yeah I forgot, Mike Allen now owns that U5.

(Just a little tip if you come next year. Get yourself some regular old Ronson Lighter Fluid. A small squirt in the carb will fire up a cold or flooded engine. Hard starting is a pretty common problem up here in the spring or fall when it's cold. Hope to see you next year.

Mike Cathey, 99 York Int'l)

Thanks Mike I needed that for the first round! (Kidding) Ok so I know for next year. Next time I'll have some extra time and I'll drive up. As cool as Roger was to lend me tools and a starter I felt nekked without my stuff

Hey,,, getting ready to convert that Formula to U-1 Mike Allen (as soon as decals are made aka mike Mcknight!!!!! ) you know if there was a hydroplane out on the real circuit with your name on it you all would own that boat in a heartbeat..And since the race have talked to mike allen numerous times and he is a super guy and real interested in our sport..... :D

Hey,,, getting ready to convert that Formula to U-1 Mike Allen (as soon as decals are made aka mike Mcknight!!!!! ) you know if there was a hydroplane out on the real circuit with your name on it you all would own that boat in a heartbeat..And since the race have talked to mike allen numerous times and he is a super guy and real interested in our sport..... :D
Agree totally, having the same name on the boat is just too cool! B)

That U-5 runs great and looks even better Mike, that is a nice piece to add to your stable!

Thanks Adam,,when I met Roger I didnt even know he had the Formula!! we got to talking and i mention i wanted to know what hull made this boat and everything fell into place from that... You guys out West dont know how lucky you all are with having soooooo many racers,,competition and most important the vast knowledge you all have within your clubs.....

Will be out next year hope to see alot of you all again !!!!!

I'm wondering what FORMULA has planned for the graphics for next year... I was told that they didn't have time to repaint the boats before this season. Some of the Bud graphics were painted on and others were vinyl and when the vinyl came off they had BUD in dark red because the surrounding paint had faded a little. If you look carefully the red in the center of the graphics are not the same color as the hull....it's close but you can see the difference. Some of the painted on Bud stuff is still under the deck graphics. I confirmed that when I saw the boats in SD. I talked to my contact at FORMULA and she told me that they haven't decided on a new scheme yet. As soon as they do she's going to shoot me some photos.

Thanks for staying on top of it Mike,,she will stay like she is until you have the updated info!!!!! Again Thanks....

Latest posts

Back