novice builder...

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NO, it's not the same stuff. Where microballoons are a spherical shaped "hollow and lightweight" thickening agent sold as West Systems #407, colloidal silica 406 is very similar in many respects except size to fiberglass fibers. CS and FG can both be used in a structural manner due to the fiberous nature of the medium where microballons cannot due to the round shape that doesn't give the epoxy anything to really grab on to. That is what makes the epoxy/407 mix easy to sand, something you won't find with the 406

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry accidentally repeated a post! thanks for all the help you guys this is very informative.... so... if i dont glass the interior of the tunnel do i just put some blocks in the tunnel to mount the motor too and screw through the plywood ? or do i reinforce the area somehow? i know this comes later just asking quesitons as they come up.....

alright.. great.. those build pics of the 85 dominoes were really good and helpful.... i'm going to start this evening... just want to make sure i dont do something totally stupid and make the whole thing a piece of crap cause i forgot to carry a one or something.. know what i mean? thanks!

If/when you come to a point where you're not sure of something, that's when you will need to post pictures and ask questions. I know you're trying to get all your ducks in a row before starting but what you have to remember is there isn't only one way to build a boat. I have my own way of doing things, Buddy has his and so on.

Take your time during construction. Some need a year or longer to build a boat

and if you have any problems then post it here and it surely helps somebody ;)

Agreed I would say the most important thing to do is plan ahead and TAKE your time. The feeling of gratification you feel at the end is addictive and the rooster tail even more so. Mikes kits are second to none so u got the best start you can have to a nice boat.

alright i'm excited... got a few days off this weekend so probably get the frame tacked together... might post some pics if it looks decent...

alright i'm excited... got a few days off this weekend so probably get the frame tacked together... might post some pics if it looks decent...
Wax paper on the building board or jig(so the boat and jig do not become bonded). If for any reason you get a twist in the framework do not start cutting things apart- twist can be taken out when the hull is skinned.

kim,

contact joe petro at zippkits.com and buy a copy of one of his EXCELLENT build manuals. i suggest the manual for his hydroplane kits because it has added information specific to hydroplanes.

joe's manuals are best in business. they are great tutorials for all wood hull builds. it will answer all of your questions. tools, adhesives, assembly techniques and build sequence concepts.

you should consider building one of joe's kits for practice before starting that scale if this

is your first wood hull build. that experience will be worth far more than cost of the kit and enable you to build that scale with confidence. check it out.

dave

kim,

contact joe petro at zippkits.com and buy a copy of one of his EXCELLENT build manuals. i suggest the manual for his hydroplane kits because it has added information specific to hydroplanes.

joe's manuals are best in business. they are great tutorials for all wood hull builds. it will answer all of your questions. tools, adhesives, assembly techniques and build sequence concepts.

you should consider building one of joe's kits for practice before starting that scale if this

is your first wood hull build. that experience will be worth far more than cost of the kit and enable you to build that scale with confidence. check it out.

dave
Have to say thta after reading this I contacted Joe at Zipp kits made it clear I wasn't building one of his kits, and asked how much to buy one of his manual because it was highly recommended. He sent me one to New Zealand for the cost of postage.

How cool is that? And yes it's a very useful tool for the novice boat builder.

Back