Novarossi KEEP 21 Outboard testing from Brandon Fl.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Otto

Tested new outboard fron Novarossi over the last two days and boy are we impressed. Right out of the box the Keep 21 engine pushed the boat into the mid 50's. Test bed was as follows: Lynx, O.S. lower, Cooper pipe, 60% Technology fuel. Several props tested to include X438, M440, ABC 40X53, ABC 40X52-3, X440 and X442. This engine likes to turn up so it really favored the smaller diameter props. Ran almost a gallon of fuel through it and it's starting to loosen up nicely. Should really be a screamer. Want to thank Glenn Quarles for letting me test the new engine. Would also like to thank Mike Culhane for his 2 days of dedication to this project and Andy Greene for the video. (video to follow)

Thanks again,

John Otto

John and guys, it looks good!!!! Thanks so much for testing this for me! Yeah based on your comments in the video it looks like it has a bit too much cooling and we will be able to get more out of it by reducing the head volume (guys, this is a 100% stock motor with the head clearance set to .006"). The motor has a stop at the Atwell's for testing next weekend and then to Martin for testing after that. By then we will have a very good idea of what the stock motor is capable of and I have given Martin the green light to do some mods.

Thanks again guys!

GQ

Video 1, with John running, what prop was on it?

Did you run full water cooling?

Most impressive.

I'm sure Otto can fill you in on the prop John, its an air cooled motor.

Very impressive.

Andy

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to speak for guys much more in the know than myself Aaron , but imho - it could use to loose some cooling fins, as it really didnt start coming in until 3-4 laps pretty consistently.

Andy

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it is acting like most motors I have seen with the full size car type air cooled heads...It either needs to have a regular water cooled head on it (no fins) running with little to no water, or most of the fins removed. I have already asked Nova about this...should be a very simple fix.

GQ

Not to speak for guys much more in the know than myself Aaron , but imho - it could use to loose some cooling fins, as it really didnt start coming in until 3-4 laps pretty consistently.

Andy
Andy

Yes! To much cooling for sure... Cut some of the fins off or run reduced water cooling head by itself....

Regards Aaron

For outboard use, I have found 3 fins reduced to 41mm diameter ample cooling on Flash/35plus engines.

As instructed by Glenn no water cooling at all, nor was it needed. Prop John was running in first video was an ABC40X53. Prop I ran in second video was an ABC 40X52-3. Boat liked the 4052-3, engine liked the 4053 and was definitely faster. Keep in mind no adjustments were made to set-up to optimize each prop and we didn't lean on the needle but to clean it up a bit. One click in the second vid was all it took to get it to second stage. Never changed a plug through almost a gallon of fuel. What the video didn't show was how well the carb works. You could let go of the trigger and mill around the course, then pull full throttle and it would excellerate with no hesitation to full speed. Man, wish we had a few more days with it to see it's full potential but from what I've seen so far Novarossi, Glenn Quarles and all involved did an awesome job. Thanks guys!

Back