21 GO Motors test

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HTV Boats

A couple weeks ago I asked Mark Leyde (lights) which of his outboard conversion motors the 5 or 7 port were stronger. His honest answer was he didn't know so I offered to test them since we have open water and warm temps in south Florida. Well he took me up on it and sent me two powerheads (5&7 port) with headers. I have two pretty much identical Vision hulls with OS lowers and a pair of Irwin pipes to make a fair comparison. For props S&B GrimRacer 40X53's which we use for heat racing.

Motors are really a nice piece of work. Marks connversion & PTO are also top notch. Stock carbs are 8mm (.312). Will try some others but to start and compare I am using what came out of the box. Mark also shipped a couple Duratrax headers DTXC7598 which may not be the best but are availiable (Tower) and wanted identical for comparison. Headers are a bit long before the 90 degre turn and a had to leave enough to couple properly without a bad angle. At some point later I will adapt a different header bigger carb and a Cooper pipe.

Mount everything within an hour 4 bolts a throttle and pipe support and off to the pond. Set the carbs with a Mazor flow meter to what should be rich for a .21. Richened the low speed so it is not in affect. Threw the first boat in runs 30 ft and dies. Now I remember why I went to OS motors and hate mod 21's. Back on the table the pinch is just too tight so richen even more take the prop off and run two tanks of fuel through both motors. Both are still tight but now will run laps. A coule tanks later and starting to lean they both come on pipe and are very easy to throttle. One is now getting a good fit and starting to edge out the other. I won't at this point say which is the 5 or 7 port as till both are comletely broken in it would be unfair. This is just the first day. No bouys,stop watch or radar gun. Watching them run I was impressed and slowing down and cooling them off they came back on pipe easily. Not crisp yet but both ran well in a break in status. I feel both ran high 40's to low 50's and I would not hesitate to replace the OS we are running and doing well in Mod 21 right now. Mark wants us to race them so the will make Storm#1 and the WTChamps before we return them or maybe Mark will just be breaking in new motors for himself in Minnesota. For the $300 sumthing he's charging these are a deal for a od 21. Will they outrun a Drake or Primo Nova. Probably not but we'll soon see how they place in some of the best 21 tunnel fields anywhere.

Mike your Grimracer fuel did everything you said it would.

Mic

Mic, give them bad boys ALOT of laps my friend. The GO has the tightest pinch I have seen yet in a .21 motor. I had to run nearly 1.5 gallons through mine before it really started to wake up.

anyone buying a go engine needs to take note they all come really really tight .18 on up and is ONE of the big reasons the 21 pull start recoil fails.

I can't say that the two motors I am working with are abnormally tight. One actually has a very nice fit after maybe 1/3 gal of fuel through it. Preheating the engine would not hurt at all. Even the tight one turned over with the glow plug fully tight. I have had some other brands that needed a loose glow plug to get them started.

Mic

Mine was so tight, that it would squeek when moving past TDC. No matter how much oil you squirted in it. I had to turn it over with a wrench, there was no starting it with a starter or a belt.

It will be interesting to see how well they hold up compared to the Italian copies! :lol:

Went to the pond and got the stopwach out today and ran some laps on both 21's. One motor is race ready fit and the other is tight even after 12-14 tanks of fuel. Not so tight it isn't fast just one motor is about a second lap faster. We swapped pipes which we thought were identical and there also one was faster. With the better pipe on each against the stopwatch, is what we compared. Our course isn't surveyed but we know what we have run on several surveyed courses and it has to be within .5 seconds per lap. So don't compare us to records and remember today was 70 degrees, low humidity (for Florida) and 15 ft abov sea level so ideal conditions. The slower boat ran low 14's ,14.3-14.4 which is 1/2 second faster than the OS we ran last year. Then our Outlaw 45 Nelson turned mid 13's which is very good since our Mod 45's are really cooking in the 13's and on the best days run high 12's. Now the other GO motor really surprised us running mid to high 13's. Tweaking the carb we had a best 13.11 and 13.19 right behind it plus a bunch of 13.3's & 4's. Not world record low 12's but pretty respectable. Actually this motor is going in oil till a week before the First Storm race as it's ready for Charleston right now. Throttles up and down flawlessly with the stock carb. We are going to play with the slower one with pipes and carbs until it's as fast or faster. Once in a while you just get lucky with a setup and best to put it away before you screw it up. With two you cn play leapfrog.

The fastest prop and either boat was a Grimracer 40X53/2blade. Not SAW but lap times.

Mic

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Mic and Jay. We all really appropriate your time doing this!!!

Tim

Went to the pond and got the stopwach out today and ran some laps on both 21's. One motor is race ready fit and the other is tight even after 12-14 tanks of fuel. Not so tight it isn't fast just one motor is about a second lap faster. We swapped pipes which we thought were identical and there also one was faster. With the better pipe on each against the stopwatch, is what we compared. Our course isn't surveyed but we know what we have run on several surveyed courses and it has to be within .5 seconds per lap. So don't compare us to records and remember today was 70 degrees, low humidity (for Florida) and 15 ft abov sea level so ideal conditions. The slower boat ran low 14's ,14.3-14.4 which is 1/2 second faster than the OS we ran last year. Then our Outlaw 45 Nelson turned mid 13's which is very good since our Mod 45's are really cooking in the 13's and on the best days run high 12's. Now the other GO motor really surprised us running mid to high 13's. Tweaking the carb we had a best 13.11 and 13.19 right behind it plus a bunch of 13.3's & 4's. Not world record low 12's but pretty respectable. Actually this motor is going in oil till a week before the First Storm race as it's ready for Charleston right now. Throttles up and down flawlessly with the stock carb. We are going to play with the slower one with pipes and carbs until it's as fast or faster. Once in a while you just get lucky with a setup and best to put it away before you screw it up. With two you cn play leapfrog.

The fastest prop and either boat was a Grimracer 40X53/2blade. Not SAW but lap times.

Mic
So your running these GO o/b's with a "J" pipe with an exhaust port timing of 170* ??

thats pretty good please keep us posted on progress with the engines ..

So your running these GO o/b's with a "J" pipe with an exhaust port timing of 170* ??

Jerry,

Mark set the timming on these motors at EX 183, Intake 129 and Xfer 132. Low end response is strong and smooth but not a big hit which I like on a tunnel. An inboard might want 186-188 on exhaust. This would give an OB more o top but I am not sure I would change it. Irwin "J" pipe that were made by Jimmy Edelmann.

Mic

Ran the GO's again yesterday. The tight motor is finally loosening up (7port) and the 5 port just gets better every run. Cooper pipe worked well and maybe .2 faster a lap than the Irwin but extra weight affected handling. Might try a shorter header on the Irwin that may be better. Races comming up within a month and well see what these motors do but I am very optomistic that we will be much faster than last year. Look for some surprises on STORM #1 Saturday timmed laps. Anyone considering buying a GO outboard they run great and very fast. I would consider lapping the piston in a bit before running as it takes a while to break them in. I believe the P/S's are cheap enough if you scew up. Maybe Mark will chime in with prices.

Mic

Sounds like there working out pretty good for you Mic.

A piston, sleeve and rod kit is $65.00 and $20.00 to mod it.

I am sorry to inform everone that I have sold out of my OB cranks that I put in these engines. I will not have anymore until next winter. I have to many irons in the fire right now. I never thought that I would sell out of them so fast. For you guy's going to the World Tunnel Champs. They will have one there that will be raffed off.

Not to side track the thread. But I do have TecnoPower OB powerheads in stock.

Thanks,

Mark

Mic,

Are you saying big brother Lights may owe me a new 5 port? :huh:

Thanks for all your testing!

Timi

A couple weeks ago I asked Mark Leyde (lights) which of his outboard conversion motors the 5 or 7 port were stronger. His honest answer was he didn't know so I offered to test them since we have open water and warm temps in south Florida. Well he took me up on it and sent me two powerheads (5&7 port) with headers. I have two pretty much identical Vision hulls with OS lowers and a pair of Irwin pipes to make a fair comparison. For props S&B GrimRacer 40X53's which we use for heat racing.

Motors are really a nice piece of work. Marks connversion & PTO are also top notch. Stock carbs are 8mm (.312). Will try some others but to start and compare I am using what came out of the box. Mark also shipped a couple Duratrax headers DTXC7598 which may not be the best but are availiable (Tower) and wanted identical for comparison. Headers are a bit long before the 90 degre turn and a had to leave enough to couple properly without a bad angle. At some point later I will adapt a different header bigger carb and a Cooper pipe.

Mount everything within an hour 4 bolts a throttle and pipe support and off to the pond. Set the carbs with a Mazor flow meter to what should be rich for a .21. Richened the low speed so it is not in affect. Threw the first boat in runs 30 ft and dies. Now I remember why I went to OS motors and hate mod 21's. Back on the table the pinch is just too tight so richen even more take the prop off and run two tanks of fuel through both motors. Both are still tight but now will run laps. A coule tanks later and starting to lean they both come on pipe and are very easy to throttle. One is now getting a good fit and starting to edge out the other. I won't at this point say which is the 5 or 7 port as till both are comletely broken in it would be unfair. This is just the first day. No bouys,stop watch or radar gun. Watching them run I was impressed and slowing down and cooling them off they came back on pipe easily. Not crisp yet but both ran well in a break in status. I feel both ran high 40's to low 50's and I would not hesitate to replace the OS we are running and doing well in Mod 21 right now. Mark wants us to race them so the will make Storm#1 and the WTChamps before we return them or maybe Mark will just be breaking in new motors for himself in Minnesota. For the $300 sumthing he's charging these are a deal for a od 21. Will they outrun a Drake or Primo Nova. Probably not but we'll soon see how they place in some of the best 21 tunnel fields anywhere.

Mike your Grimracer fuel did everything you said it would.

Mic

good news and thanks Mic.. I have a ton of confidence in the fuel.. Im just now starting to read the rest of the post.. Grim

Back