Novarossi 21 inquiry

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is the newer square case long stroke NR - whether it is the best engine for a hydro is a matter for conjecture. There are no bad NR engines - some just seem to suit one type of application better than others.

Hard to say for sure...the case is definitely the new R1 case but I wouldn’t be surprised if the old LS sleeve in it....any easy way to tell would be to look in the exhaust port and see if you have three exhaust ports or 1. If you have 3 exhaust ports you have an R1 and if you have 1 exhaust, then you have an rx21 that's been put in a R1 case. The key difference in the two motors is the Piston/sleeve set and case.

anyways...since it is the new R1 case:

For inboarders, there shouldn’t be an issue since the bolt pattern is the same. For outboarders, the Backset between the back of the rod and the rear of the case is a tad shorter and the bolt pattern is a hair bigger, so that can cause some issues with the PTO.

If you have one exhaust port in your sleeve, then I would be concerned about port matching in the case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don Ferrette said:
John Knight said:
I personally believe that a race prepped NR cannot be beat by anything out there, period.  Some will take issue with that but it remains my opinion.  I have been stomped by NR more times than I can ever count.  Kentley and Preston taught me a new lesson, again, at Chesapeake this past August.  I am always chasing them and may always.  I plan on changing that but will it happen?  Time will tell.
John

70515[/snapback]

And you guys were chasing me who won that class with, dare I say it........ a MAC21. :p

Preston's NR runs real good & we went hull to hull all season at the ODMBA club series. I was just fortunate to get the inside at the start more than he did. B)

I will say Kentley is & still will be the one to beat, NOT an easy thing!!! :eek:

70654[/snapback]

Well, since we are tooting horns. I took the Invitational last year and would have this year as well if the boat would not have taken an unfortunate stab to let you go. I still got second.

Terry,

I'll take that Nova Rossi from you for my hydro if you don't want it.. You got a good motor in your hands!! US-1 in 20 hydro was won with a NR...

Charley

Preston_Hall said:
Don Ferrette said:
John Knight said:
I personally believe that a race prepped NR cannot be beat by anything out there, period.  Some will take issue with that but it remains my opinion.  I have been stomped by NR more times than I can ever count.  Kentley and Preston taught me a new lesson, again, at Chesapeake this past August.  I am always chasing them and may always.  I plan on changing that but will it happen?  Time will tell.
John

70515[/snapback]

And you guys were chasing me who won that class with, dare I say it........ a MAC21. :p

Preston's NR runs real good & we went hull to hull all season at the ODMBA club series. I was just fortunate to get the inside at the start more than he did. B)

I will say Kentley is & still will be the one to beat, NOT an easy thing!!! :eek:

70654[/snapback]

Well, since we are tooting horns. I took the Invitational last year and would have this year as well if the boat would not have taken an unfortunate stab to let you go. I still got second.

70735[/snapback]

Terry Flynn said:
Hay guys I just bought this new N/R tonight and from what I'm reading here I'm getting the impression that I might have made a mistake on doing so. I was planing on putting it in a hydro but now that I'm reading this if I'm reading it right this might not be the motor of choice? Can any one tell me if this is a good motor or did I just waist $360 bucks for something that wont work that good in a hydro? I'm new to all this and I'm just going on what I'm hearing and reading. These are the numbers that are on the

CONFORMITY DECLARATION TYPE  RX21SSM2A3/N

Manufacturing year 2004.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Terry

70683[/snapback]

You are OK, just a new case so don't worry.

Frank

I will also say, we are pretty fortunate that Bill McGraw is Novarossi importer not somebody else who would bring the newest engine regardless of if it's better or not than the old one. He could also charge a lot more money just as other companies who import Novarossi car engines do, such as Trinity. Their R1 is listed for $699. Some day when someone else takes over distributorship I expect prices to go up and be in line with car engines.

The latest engine available is the same old beast in a new case.

Advanced Racing Tech

Frank Orlic

Preston_Hall said:
70735[/snapback]

Gee P that's a pretty powerful ASSUMPTION since we were tied for 1st going into the last round. We had just started the first lap when you stuffed as I was coming up on you on the outside. I personally would have PREFERRED you not have stuffed so we could have duked it out for 6 laps as we've done all year at the club races. B)

I’m not going to keep on flogging this dead horse x-cept maybe just this last poke…...

I will also say, we are pretty fortunate that Bill McGraw is Novarossi importer not somebody else who would bring the newest engine regardless of if it's better or not than the old one. He could also charge a lot more money just as other companies who import Novarossi car engines do, such as Trinity. Their R1 is listed for $699. Some day when someone else takes over distributorship I expect prices to go up and be in line with car engines.The latest engine available is the same old beast in a new case.

Advanced Racing Tech

Frank Orlic
Some things should be cleared so people have all the facts without exaggeration. First being that trinity has the R1 motor listed at 439 and some change Rx21r1wc trinity price link Also, Jim Hottinger of Fusion Motorsports (formerly of Ron Paris Racing) is the distributor for Novarossi in North America and Trinity lost it’s rights to import this past spring. Also…..marine parts are no different from car parts....main difference is that marine motors are assembled at the end of the year after the Novarossi Car Motors, After the RB car motors, After the Top and Rex, after the NovaMega (no more) and after the airplane and helicopter motors and NovaMax have all had their run and their orders have been filled...........

Also it should be pointed out that the case Terry has is the R1 case (not a new case for the old Rx21) and that I would be concerned about the exhaust port shape verses the casting if the old rx21 sleeve is in it since that case was made for a totally different exhaust configuration. I’m glad to see the motor has moved at least half-way towards the R1. Maybe next year the old NR/RB equipment wont work with the ’04 R1 case, and it will complete it’s evolution to R1 for boaters too :)

Anyways….it’s all good and there wouldnt be any competition between the NR 21 motors if it were not for the Purebread marine Mac 21.

My only hang up is someone else making decisions for me regarding what I can buy VS/ what is and has been available.

Kevin, the bottom line is that the RX21 is outrunning the R1. Most of the differances in the car motors and the Marine motors are concerning fuel efficiancy. That is dirrectly from the late Ron Paris' mouth. I used to run his motors in my boats and had trouble launching. So I called Ron and he advised me to run the RX21 because it's better suited for our application.

Until I start seeing your mug holding all the trophies, I think I'd rather run what's setting all of the records which happens to be Franco's motors.

izitbrokeyet? said:
I’m not going to keep on flogging this dead horse x-cept maybe just this last poke…...
I will also say, we are pretty fortunate that Bill McGraw is Novarossi importer not somebody else who would bring the newest engine regardless of if it's better or not than the old one. He could also charge a lot more money just as other companies who import Novarossi car engines do, such as Trinity. Their R1 is listed for $699. Some day when someone else takes over distributorship I expect prices to go up and be in line with car engines.The latest engine available is the same old beast in a new case.

Advanced Racing Tech

Frank Orlic
Some things should be cleared so people have all the facts without exaggeration. First being that trinity has the R1 motor listed at 439 and some change Rx21r1wc trinity price link Also, Jim Hottinger of Fusion Motorsports (formerly of Ron Paris Racing) is the distributor for Novarossi in North America and Trinity lost it’s rights to import this past spring. Also…..marine parts are no different from car parts....main difference is that marine motors are assembled at the end of the year after the Novarossi Car Motors, After the RB car motors, After the Top and Rex, after the NovaMega (no more) and after the airplane and helicopter motors and NovaMax have all had their run and their orders have been filled...........

Also it should be pointed out that the case Terry has is the R1 case (not a new case for the old Rx21) and that I would be concerned about the exhaust port shape verses the casting if the old rx21 sleeve is in it since that case was made for a totally different exhaust configuration. I’m glad to see the motor has moved at least half-way towards the R1. Maybe next year the old NR/RB equipment wont work with the ’04 R1 case, and it will complete it’s evolution to R1 for boaters too :)

Anyways….it’s all good and there wouldnt be any competition between the NR 21 motors if it were not for the Purebread marine Mac 21.

My only hang up is someone else making decisions for me regarding what I can buy VS/ what is and has been available.

70792[/snapback]

You got few things wrong but that being put aside, it realy doesn't make any difference to you what is available because you manage to get R1's anyway. Maybe I just don't know enough about R1,so I would like to know who else is running them, I would like to get in touch with them and see if they having a better luck. I only know two people who used them (one was your engine) and neither had much luck.

Frank

I bet 'ol Kentley is getting a chuckle out of this, going over 100mph in his SAW boat (AND staging FOUR TIMES!!) with those old out of date N/R's ......... :p

Keep it light guys, if it works for you be it SS, LS, R1, RX, XYZ whatever then that's great. Share ideas on what makes or could make EACH one go better ......... B)

Latest posts

Back