Novarossi 21 inquiry

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jay,

I believe that is the newest version coming in right now. You will not be

disappointed in it's performance.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

That motor has been available for 2 years..... B) only 1 year with that case

I'm thinking you can get one if you speak to the right person

Last edited by a moderator:
Joel,

But it will run as good as it looks,not sure about the Piranha though. :unsure:

Have Fun With Either One,

Mark Sholund

izitbrokeyet? said:
I only know of 5 people running that series motor here in North America B)
69838[/snapback]

Hummmmm make that six!!!! What are they using the two fittings on the lower crank case for? :huh:

õ¿~ ya later

Bob Morton

izitbrokeyet? said:
Heya Bob,
I dont know of anyone that's using the boost chmamber

69873[/snapback]

Unless they changed it, that not a boost chamber. It's to water cool the backplate. I had one on my last Nova Rossi and ended up changing to the stock plate. If it was a boost chamber, it would only have one fitting and the motor would be tapped below the carb.

This is old tech. In the late 70's - early 80's motocross engine tunners like Dave Miller & Mitch Payton used boost bottles to help low end. They are not widely used anymore because it's easy enough to get low end with timing. I had one on one of my DMC YZ125's and the other bike without it had just as much low end but had less timing.

Joe_Knesek said:
izitbrokeyet? said:
Heya Bob,
I dont know of anyone that's using the boost chmamber

69873[/snapback]

Unless they changed it, that not a boost chamber. It's to water cool the backplate. I had one on my last Nova Rossi and ended up changing to the stock plate. If it was a boost chamber, it would only have one fitting and the motor would be tapped below the carb.

This is old tech. In the late 70's - early 80's motocross engine tunners like Dave Miller & Mitch Payton used boost bottles to help low end. They are not widely used anymore because it's easy enough to get low end with timing. I had one on one of my DMC YZ125's and the other bike without it had just as much low end but had less timing.

69885[/snapback]

I used it to run my fuel through like a small hooper,also it cooled the motor Hummmm What do you think!!!!

Bob Morton :rolleyes:

Joe,

You’re absolutely right……..That is a water cooled rear plate. I guess I'm too accustomed to looking at car motors to count nipples :blink: A boost chamber would tap to the case on the Left side of the motor that’s not shown but it’s a mute point…..That WC rear plate just looks like a way to add weight to a boat. :rolleyes: I never used either the boost chamber or the water cooled rear plate.

I wonder where other folks are getting their new style NR marine motors since they aren’t being sold by the regular distributor?

B)

Thats a sweet engine. Does anyone have any specs on it? How does it comare to the ole long stroke 21? Who'll be selling them?

tracerbob said:
Thats a sweet engine.  Does anyone have any specs on it?  How does it comare to the ole long stroke 21?  Who'll be selling them?
70143[/snapback]

It's definitely better than the ole LS in my humble opinion. I have run it in Hydro, OB, and mono now B) ......I think there are others (is another) in here that say the old LS is better for Hydro applications.

Only problem I'm having with it is the CNC piston doesn’t seem to hold up to a severe high CR thrashing like the cast piston did. If the Rx21r1 series is to improve, I think the series will evolve to include the microcast piston with the motor rather than the CNC. It’s hard to say at this point though.

In stock form this isn't an issue though....... only when you push a higher CR

The NR guys seem to think that the CNC piston is better since it's lighter and easier to swing at high RPM…..it’ll probably end up staying a CNC piston from an economics standpoint.

only time will tell......

izitbrokeyet? said:
tracerbob said:
Thats a sweet engine.  Does anyone have any specs on it?  How does it comare to the ole long stroke 21?  Who'll be selling them?
70143[/snapback]

It's definitely better than the ole LS in my humble opinion. I have run it in Hydro, OB, and mono now B) ......I think there are others (is another) in here that say the old LS is better for Hydro applications.

I can only partialy agree with you. Is R1 definitely better than regular LS I would say definitely no, however there are aplications where I would prefer R1. In my opinion R1 will probably run better in a tunnel, in a mono they run the same neither one has advantage, but in hydro R1 is not as good (no enough torque). Of course there are ways to increase torque but not without giving some top end.

After doing a lot of testing R1 just doesn't do for me in a hydro but in a mono no difference. If R1 was so much better I assure you we would be available in US. As for who can distribute them Rossi Sales has distributrs rights for marine engine.

Frank,

You stated “

If R1 was so much better I assure you we would be available in US

Who made that decision? Who evaluated the pros and cons and decided that North America was better off with a 3 year old motor?

seem like fair game questions to me.

When was the last time you tried to purchase a case for that old narrow sleeve motor :lol:

KB

I agree that the rx21 (old 7-port) motor was a good motor but it’s time was several years ago when it was designed as a rally motor. The newer R1 motor has some advancements over the old Rx21 motor like the exhaust boosters and the lighter piston, dished piston, better case casting, turbo rear plate, dual taper sleeve, and a stronger rod. Granted the motor was designed as a 25% car motor with slower squish velosity. and the combustion chambers are way too big for our typical nitro contents…….but that can be fixed with a micro-latehe.

In any case: (No Pun intended) even the pictured motor (the marine variant of the rx21r1) is being replaced next year by what is being called the 321 series. That makes the Rx21 original rally motor a motor that has been improved by 2 subsequent series and still isn’t carried by the US marine distributor….go figure that one.

How come none of the current Novarossi motors (www.novarossi.it) have been sold there in the last year? As the (North America) Marine distributor how does this happen? Has someone made the decision that the new technology will not be sold in the North American Market?

I don’t know about you guys but : If I were a boat motor consumer, I’d want the most recent technology, and the most current release rather than be in a situation trying to find some part that isn’t made anymore (try buying a narrow sleeve case lol). Because the market has been flooded with yesteryears car equipment and people trying to make a market for it.

I wonder who has the answers to these questions in paragraph 3 and who’s a pawn?

I know that I could ruffle some boat industry feathers with this post….there’s also a lot of grey matter that should/could be considered. Like “how’s a boater ever going to justify buying a +$400 .21 motor. I just figured I’d post since it’s an open forum, I’m just that type of person.

As an open forum I figure these questions should be asked……My only reason for asking is to try and get newer/ better products for consumers. If it’s because the market wont bear the price, then someone should state that and not try to make consumers think that the older stuff is better.

izitbrokeyet? said:
I agree that the rx21 (old 7-port) motor was a good motor but it’s time was several years ago when it was designed as a rally motor.    The newer R1 motor has some advancements over the old Rx21 motor like the exhaust boosters and the lighter piston,  dished piston, better case casting, turbo rear plate, dual taper sleeve, and a stronger rod. Granted the motor was designed as a 25% car motor with slower squish velosity. and the combustion chambers are way too big for our typical nitro contents…….but that can be fixed with a micro-latehe.
In any case: (No Pun intended) even the pictured motor (the marine variant of the rx21r1) is being replaced next year by what is being called the 321 series.    That makes the Rx21 original rally motor a motor that has been improved by 2 subsequent series and still isn’t carried by the US marine distributor….go figure that one.

How come none of the current Novarossi motors (www.novarossi.it) have been sold there in the last year?  As the  (North America)  Marine distributor how does this happen?    Has someone made the decision that the new technology will not be sold in the North American Market?

I don’t know about you guys but :    If I were a boat motor consumer, I’d want the most recent technology, and the most current release rather than be in a situation trying to find some part that isn’t made anymore (try buying a narrow sleeve case lol).  Because the market has been flooded with yesteryears car equipment and people trying to make a market for it.

I wonder who has the answers to these questions in paragraph 3 and who’s a pawn? 

I know that I could ruffle some boat industry feathers with this post….there’s also a lot of grey matter that should/could be considered. Like “how’s a boater ever going to justify buying a +$400 .21 motor.    I just figured I’d post since it’s an open forum, I’m just that type of person.

As an open forum I figure these questions should be asked……My only reason for asking is to try and get newer/ better products for consumers.    If it’s because the market wont bear the price, then someone should state that and not try to make consumers think that the older stuff is better.

70320[/snapback]

Kevin I will give you a little bit of history since I have been running Novarossi a little bit. Rx engine came to US in '97 and for the next year there was just one small change on the sleeve. That engine was one of the best for boats they have ever made untill this year's model. Since then there were many different sleeves they tried and not all were good, I think it was mostly pressure to have new engine every year just like Picco, Mac, CMB. Lets talk about goodies that you find in in R1: Novarossi had much better castings 5-6 years back, exhaust busters have been aroound for few years (Dave marles introduced them to me almost 10 years ago, thanks Dave), turbo plate have been around in different variations ever since I remember, stronger rod - don't know anyone who broke one ETC.

I like novarossi but last 5-6 years they are like Picco used to be, new engine every year even if it isn't better. I don't want anyone to think that R1 is not a good engine because it is just not for hydro, mono and tunnel they are great.

Since Rossi sales have a marine distributorship, they put out the money and bring us what they think is the best. If you knew Bill McGraw than you would know he would bring the best stuff that will work in all boats no mater what. Bill doesn't run junk, you should check his acomplishments. In year 2000 when not too many people even knew of R1's he had R1 type engines and we worked on them and tried to make them go but they were never as good as what we had that is why they never made their way to US market. And we did the same thing again this year same results when it comes to hydro. Maybe someday you get a distributorship and than we will all buy what you think is the best.

Just for fun you should sent to Kentley one of your moded R1 so we can compare to the old and outdated engines he has.

Advanced Racing Tech

Frank Orlic

The old, outdated Nova Rossi has pushed a boat over 100 MPH. I'll take that old stuff any day.

I bet Ford thought the Mustang II was much better than the original too.

Latest posts

Back