Novarossi 21 inquiry

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: new engines each year.

It's marketing. Sells more engines due to the "mines a newer model" mentality. I wonder when OPS will realise this. :p

I still have my 7 port 21RX, great motor. Hope the case stays put for a while!

Last edited by a moderator:
Franco,

As you know….I am not a product salesperson or Novarossi Rep, distributor/ whatever and would not ever want to be in the industry as it’s a tough way to make a living. I should have said “discontinued 3 years ago” rather than 3 yr old motor. I am familiar with the old Ultracomp. Square stroke cases and agree that they were better but they were never part of the Longstroke series that I know of (apples & oranges).

It seems fair enough to send a Modified motor to a competent 3rd party to test. But it appears that would only prove that the old Rx21 that you’ve been working with for 7 years can put out better in a hydro than the new R1 that a newbie like me has been tinkering with for 1 summer.

If we can go through that exercise then what happens after that? Other than a little fun, I can’t see how that would prove anything for the stock motor consumer trying to buy a good $360 motor with parts support compared to a $450+ modified with no spares(again apples and oranges), and it’s not to make parts available for that old motor. I doubt that anyone will find another 70 +/- Pistons and sleeve sets and cases left over from those old motors in the aero and car industry to feed the demand for the old rx21 motor.

It’s a given that R&D is happening to improve Car motors. Given some key differences between the car motors and that can be overcome if they are acknowledged. Fortunately head buttons are pretty easy to make. My goal if nothing else in this post is to demonstrate that The old RX21 isn’t going to be around for ever…..just like the Ultracomp is gone now........ I think there are great current motors out there with parts support stretching out for several years; why focus on discontinued motors that have all the replacement parts held by one person?

For now I’m content running my current Novarossi equipment and knowing I can get parts for it at any time. :)

Joe...I'll send you all my old stuff to run :) Free

izitbrokeyet? said:
Joe...I'll send you all my old stuff to run :) Free
70435[/snapback]

No thanks, I'll get mine from Franco & Bill.

I don't mean to stray off topic but I've been running a NR21 that I bought of a friend and I don't have any idea what model it is. It has the number 2000 cast onto the side of the case. Any info on this engine and if parts are still available would be appreciated.

tracerbob said:
I don't mean to stray off topic but I've been running a NR21 that I bought of a friend and I don't have any idea what model it is.  It has the number 2000 cast onto the side of the case.  Any info on this engine and if parts are still available would be appreciated.
70440[/snapback]

Bob,

I believe that you have a short stroke engine. They had the Nova on one side and 2000 on the other side. I have a couple of them and they run well. Not made anymore. Take care of it as parts are becoming hard to find. The RX21 was the long stroke versions during the same relative time period. Only LS are being made now.

John

tracerbob said:
That's not good :(   Thanks for the info John
70459[/snapback]

Bob,

Not necessarily. There are sources for having pistons made, sleeves resized, rods made, new and better carbs, etc. My son's 20 mono has a SS in it and runs exceptionally well as long as he leaves the needle where it should be. He and Jerry Crowther go at it every time they race. Remember Atlanta this April? There are still parts available that come up upon occasion. Don't lose heart nor confidence. Best part about it is that even used parts can get you a good price.

Anybody your way going to Albany GA club race 6 & 7 Nov? If not you still can enter by this weekend. Most of us from this way are going. Very good race and we have a lot of fun! The race flyer is on the D 13 website of www.rcboatmodelers.com. The racing for the year is not over unless you let it be!

John

No. We're all heading over to Slidell for the hydro invitational that weekend. I'm not running anything so I've been nominated the official boat starter and rigger chucker :lol: :lol: ;) . If I get some good pics, I'll post them.

I wonder where my Nova Rossi's are going to come from...... ;) I need two inboards and a outboard ???????.... :huh:

Me, a beginner boater, can't even begin to think of buying a new $$$$$ NR....

Well we just drop back and take third or fourth best engines and in a few years {1 or 2 Tops} deside that it's just not worth it....!! WE end up on the list for recontact to get back into BOATs......!!

Hey it's cheaper to fly......... :huh:

Being a new boater , when I do buy that NR ...I want the very best my money can buy.....!!!! NEWEST !! BADDEST !!!! and PARTS...! LOTs OF PARTS.

I Guess it's MAC's and IRWIN's for me....the new guy...!!!!!

O..!! I know this **** hell of a guy that I know will someday have a new used engine I can buy..... ;) :)

waterbug sc said:
Being a new boater , when I do buy that NR ...I want the very best my money can buy.....!!!!  NEWEST !! BADDEST !!!! and PARTS...! LOTs OF PARTS.
The newest doesn't mean it's the baddest...and what makes you think you can't get parts for the Nova Rossi that's being imported?

If you take care of a Nova Rossi, the only part you'll change is bearings. Once a season. The piston and sleeve will last for years unless you run it lean all the time. If you're doing that, you're not going fast and no motor will last.

Butch,

Listen to what Joe stated. Take care of your gear and it will last. I am proof of that. One NR SS engine is 6 years old and is still running strong. Bearings are the only thing needed other than a mid year pull down, inspection and polishing. That is it! Nothing is bulletproof but a NR is as near as you can get. Besides you have Gabe, Don and myself to help guide you along. There are ways to keep your engines running.

I personally believe that a race prepped NR cannot be beat by anything out there, period. Some will take issue with that but it remains my opinion. I have been stomped by NR more times than I can ever count. Kentley and Preston taught me a new lesson, again, at Chesapeake this past August. I am always chasing them and may always. I plan on changing that but will it happen? Time will tell.

John

Joe , John

I'm not knocking the NR.....Or anyone.... :)

Just giving a observation from a newbe......... ;)

It's just like everything else, if you take good care of it , it will last.....

Italian Craftmanship....Don't you love it......... :)

John Knight said:
I personally believe that a race prepped NR cannot be beat by anything out there, period.  Some will take issue with that but it remains my opinion.  I have been stomped by NR more times than I can ever count.  Kentley and Preston taught me a new lesson, again, at Chesapeake this past August.  I am always chasing them and may always.  I plan on changing that but will it happen?  Time will tell.
John

70515[/snapback]

And you guys were chasing me who won that class with, dare I say it........ a MAC21. :p

Preston's NR runs real good & we went hull to hull all season at the ODMBA club series. I was just fortunate to get the inside at the start more than he did. B)

I will say Kentley is & still will be the one to beat, NOT an easy thing!!! :eek:

Don Ferrette said:
John Knight said:
I personally believe that a race prepped NR cannot be beat by anything out there, period.  Some will take issue with that but it remains my opinion.  I have been stomped by NR more times than I can ever count.  Kentley and Preston taught me a new lesson, again, at Chesapeake this past August.  I am always chasing them and may always.  I plan on changing that but will it happen?  Time will tell.
John

70515[/snapback]

And you guys were chasing me who won that class with, dare I say it........ a MAC21. :p

Preston's NR runs real good & we went hull to hull all season at the ODMBA club series. I was just fortunate to get the inside at the start more than he did. B)

I will say Kentley is & still will be the one to beat, NOT an easy thing!!! :eek:

70654[/snapback]

With a new hull and a sick engine I was chasing everyone. I'll concede your point, to a point. You finished all heats and if someone does that you tend to be on the top of the heap at the end of the day. The two of you were neck and neck every heat. But Kentley was leading all. With few exceptions out there, NR tend to be in the winners circle more than any other engines. Was true in Atlanta spring nationals this April. But will give credit to the drivers, setups as well as the engines. Tough competition in 20 hydro, more than any other class that exists. The entire package wins more often than not.

John Knight said:
With a new hull and a sick engine I was chasing everyone.  I'll concede your point, to a point.  You finished all heats and if someone does that you tend to be on the top of the heap at the end of the day.  The two of you were neck and neck every heat.  But Kentley was leading all.  With few exceptions out there, NR tend to be in the winners circle more than any other engines.  Was true in Atlanta spring nationals this April.  But will give credit to the drivers, setups as well as the engines.  Tough competition in 20 hydro, more than any other class that exists.  The entire package wins more often than not.
70658[/snapback]

Yup, 3 firsts & a second (to Kentley) got it done. You are right, the NR is typically on top but it takes the entire package to make it happen. As John Finch told me a long time ago- "to finish first you must first finish!" ;)

Hay guys I just bought this new N/R tonight and from what I'm reading here I'm getting the impression that I might have made a mistake on doing so. I was planing on putting it in a hydro but now that I'm reading this if I'm reading it right this might not be the motor of choice?

Can any one tell me if this is a good motor or did I just waist $360 bucks for something that wont work that good in a hydro? I'm new to all this and I'm just going on what I'm hearing and reading. These are the numbers that are on the

CONFORMITY DECLARATION TYPE RX21SSM2A3/N

Manufacturing year 2004.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Terry

Latest posts

Back