Novarossi .12 testing

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenn Quarles

Supporting Member
Friends, over the last two weekends I been able to get a little factual information to pass along. The weekend befor last I did some testing at the San Antoino pond and final had a chance to point the radar gun at my .12 boat boat for the first time. With a completely stock motor (stock carb with my mod done to it) it ran consistant 59+ mph. This was with one of Marks 1440, one of my pipes and 60% nitro. I only got the radar gun out once so there were no needle valve tweeking, prop changes, etc...it was just a normal run like you would get in a heat race. I also ran 3 other stock motors (one other of mine and two other guy's) and even though I didn't get any speeds they looked and sounded exactly the same.

Speaking of sounding the same...this last weekend I went to a race in Andrews TX (about 4000' elevation or something like that) and Corky Daily had his aduio tach out while I was running. Every lap was between 34,200 and 36,000 rpm. That surprised me it was that high around the course.

Both of these sets of numbers were taken with my wire drive boat.

Glenn

Glen

Sounds like you had fun. Thats haul'n !!!!!

N/R really has their act together. I can't wait to run my .21 again.

Whats this wire drive thing? Was mentioned a few times and I'm curious.

Tim

JE Products

Friends, over the last two weekends I been able to get a little factual information to pass along. The weekend befor last I did some testing at the San Antoino pond and final had a chance to point the radar gun at my .12 boat boat for the first time. With a completely stock motor (stock carb with my mod done to it) it ran consistant 59+ mph. This was with one of Marks 1440, one of my pipes and 60% nitro. I only got the radar gun out once so there were no needle valve tweeking, prop changes, etc...it was just a normal run like you would get in a heat race. I also ran 3 other stock motors (one other of mine and two other guy's) and even though I didn't get any speeds they looked and sounded exactly the same.

Speaking of sounding the same...this last weekend I went to a race in Andrews TX (about 4000' elevation or something like that) and Corky Daily had his aduio tach out while I was running. Every lap was between 34,200 and 36,000 rpm. That surprised me it was that high around the course.

Glenn

Glenn, I had my 2 ZIPKITS out the .12 &.21 crazy fast. Nothing like my old K&B .21 Dumas Hawk. ;) :D I need to get some driving time in , not used to the speed. I AM HAVING FUN.

Glen

Sounds like you had fun. Thats haul'n !!!!!

N/R really has their act together. I can't wait to run my .21 again.

Whats this wire drive thing? Was mentioned a few times and I'm curious.

Tim

JE Products

Glenn
Tim, the wire drive is sorta like a flex cable, but uses a 1/16" piano wire to the stubshaft instead of a cable. I am still not ready to say they are better than a cable because I have been breaking a bunch of them (in some CRAZY ways...). I still hope to do some direct comparison testing between the wires and cables one day. Even though my cable boat looks and sounds about the same, I just get a feeling that the wire is faster.

Glenn

Glenn
I would say that is awesome

cheers Luca

Last edited by a moderator:
k i have one on mine. can you mod them and make them go faster if you wanted ?
Yes, there is room for improvement on the crankshaft. The motor I got the RPM readings on was a motor that was modded by Greg Settle. This is the motor we came up with the 128/178 sleeve timing numbers on (so the sleeves on the new ones are perfect!). Greg does AMAZING work. The work on the crank is beautiful.

I did not get any radar times on the mod motor and did not get any RPM readings on the stock motor so I can not give you an accurate comparision between the stock and mod. Actually Corky did get a couple of radar times on the boat with the mod motor at the Andrews race (remember the elevation is around 4000') and it was in the 56 -57 mph range coming around bouy 6. It would of course be faster in the straights and faster yet at lower altitudes.

Glenn

Glen (quotes)Tim, the wire drive is sorta like a flex cable, but uses a 1/16" piano wire to the stubshaft instead of a cable. I am still not ready to say they are better than a cable because I have been breaking a bunch of them (in some CRAZY ways...). I still hope to do some direct comparison testing between the wires and cables one day. Even though my cable boat looks and sounds about the same, I just get a feeling that the wire is faster.

I'd always think the strait shaft was faster..I'd compared two of my proboats.. one the old miss bud strait shaft and the second gen flex drive..both have aquacraft.18's in them with same prop's...form watching my videos of both of them.. the strait shaft hydro was faster then cable drive..strait shaft is 1/8 and cable is .150..hopes it works out wright for you glen.. keep us posted please.. I'm not to thrilled to run a.150 on a.12...don't know why isnt anyone trying the.125 -.130?

Glen (quotes)Tim, the wire drive is sorta like a flex cable, but uses a 1/16" piano wire to the stubshaft instead of a cable. I am still not ready to say they are better than a cable because I have been breaking a bunch of them (in some CRAZY ways...). I still hope to do some direct comparison testing between the wires and cables one day. Even though my cable boat looks and sounds about the same, I just get a feeling that the wire is faster.

I'd always think the strait shaft was faster..I'd compared two of my proboats.. one the old miss bud strait shaft and the second gen flex drive..both have aquacraft.18's in them with same prop's...form watching my videos of both of them.. the strait shaft hydro was faster then cable drive..strait shaft is 1/8 and cable is .150..hopes it works out wright for you glen.. keep us posted please.. I'm not to thrilled to run a.150 on a.12...don't know why isnt anyone trying the.125 -.130?
Miss Hydro, the wire drive is not really considered a straight drive. It runs through a curved stuffing box just like a cable does (infact I just put a wire in my cable drive boat with an S bend stuffing box). All of my .12 boats with cables have .130/.125 cables in them. I like them better and incourage folks who buy the driveline hardware from me to use them.

Glenn

Miss Hydro, the wire drive is not really considered a straight drive. It runs through a curved stuffing box just like a cable does (infact I just put a wire in my cable drive boat with an S bend stuffing box). All of my .12 boats with cables have .130/.125 cables in them. I like them better and incourage folks who buy the driveline hardware from me to use them.

Glenn
I know there cable drive.. but I was compairing cable to strait shaft...like on my proboats.. notices that my strait shaft was faster then my cable one... yet theres advatages on cable drives.. like adjustable struts and motor angles...strait shafts cant bend like cable can...

Back