Nothing to do w/ boating but still cool !!!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitro_nemesis

Was w/ my cousin who resides in Honduras now over the holidays and he showed me a neat new hobby that i've just about perfected - made for quite a show last night :lol: Anyhow, go to any walmart and around the card section and get the color tissue papaer for cramming in gifts. Cut you out a reasonably big pattern for a balloon about 4 ft. X 4 ft. The ones I make are basically 8 big triangles glued together @ the edges w/ some white elmers and @ the bottom theres a square hole about 6 in. X 6 in. (looks like a big four sided diamond w/ the bottom triangles being upside down of course) Make a small wire frame that will hold a candle that you make from dipping rolled toilet paper in wax - don't make it too heavy and secure it to the frame centered so the balloon doesn't catch fire !!! Keep in mind the lighter the better. What you end up w/ is a big lantern that floats up, up, way the hell up if it's not too windy. I think my cousins best is a 30 minute flight w/ the balloon reaching between 1 - 2 thousand ft. or so. But he makes balloons that are somewhat bigger than 4 X 4. My first floater which was last night went about 70 - 80 ft. and then caught fire and burned up - I made the candle frame from tape instead of wire and it gave out dropping the candle and burning the balloon in a nice airborne fire :eek: They posted a nice article in a hondurian paper where people actually thought his balloons were ufo's and that the apocalipse was taking place because he had about 6 of em riding wind currents burning up here and there !!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Gonna take some pics of my next one tonight and post em.

So what happens when your new hobby causes a major forest fire or even worse it causes a fatal house fire! Not very smart in my opinion.

Doug

Sounds like a high school science project. :lol:

Please do not attempt this in my part of the country right now!!! Texas is drier than British humor right now :p

Just jokes, No offence to the British. ;)

-Buck-

You're entitled to your opinion I guess, but more peeps have been hurt by rc boats then this hobby has started fires...which is none. If all hobbies were supposed to be entirely safe do you think they would let people fly large scale remote control airplanes around, regardless of how remote the location was - that's just my opinion !!!

Latest posts

Back