Newbie Engine Help

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heywhire

I have acquired 3 marine motors and would like to know what a good plug, pipe and fuel I should use?

Motor 1: Picco .90

Pipe?

Glow Plug?

Fuel?

Motor 2: OPS .45

Pipe?

Glow Plug?

Fuel?

Motor 3: OS Max .21

Pipe?

Glow Plug?

Fuel?

I want to use Picco in a 1/8 Scale Hydro I built from Newton Marine Plan 157 "The Winston Eagle".

The .45 I would like to use it in a Scorpion 46 (Outrigger) I have built up from plans.

And, the .21 I would like to put in my Black Jack 26 Nitro.

Also, they are kinda dirty and would like to clean them up, I would like to disassemble them and clean them really good, any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks for looking and for the help.

Joe

I'd be very careful putting that Picco in a scale hull. Newton hulls are designed for .65/.67s and may have problems with that much power. I'm not saying don't do it, but you may wan't to go with lower nitro fuel to keep the boat from getting away from you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be very careful putting that Picco in a scale hull. Newton hulls are designed for .65/.67s and may have problems with that much power. I'm not saying don't do it, but you may wan't to go with lower nitro fuel to keep the boat from getting away from you.
So would the .45 be too small to put in there?

Put the 45 in the rigger, you'll be much happier as the scale hull might be too much for it to push effectively. As I said in my last post, you can try to use the 90, just go with a lower nitro content in your fuel. If it was me in your place, I'd start out with the the .21 and work my way up, to the bigger, faster boats.

as far as cleaning, get an old crock pot, a gallon of plain ol' regular green antifreeze & cook the parts on LOW for a few hours. pour it back in the jug through a strainer & funnel, rinse the parts off with water, that's it. that & maybe a little work with a toothbrush & you'll be AMAZED at the results!!! don't use extended life antifreeze, just the cheap old green stuff., also cooking on high will darken aluminum, doesn't hurt it, just gets real dark grey. sounds far fetched, but it has to be the simplest, cheapest, most effective nitro motor cleaning method i've ever used B) .

as far as cleaning, get an old crock pot, a gallon of plain ol' regular green antifreeze & cook the parts on LOW for a few hours. pour it back in the jug through a strainer & funnel, rinse the parts off with water, that's it. that & maybe a little work with a toothbrush & you'll be AMAZED at the results!!! don't use extended life antifreeze, just the cheap old green stuff., also cooking on high will darken aluminum, doesn't hurt it, just gets real dark grey. sounds far fetched, but it has to be the simplest, cheapest, most effective nitro motor cleaning method i've ever used B) .
The cases clean very well in a Dish washer. Dont load the steel in there. :blink:

The 1/8th scale class in IMPBA is for engines in the 65/67 size. You cannot run a larger engine (80/90, etc) in the class. It would bump the boat into the F hydro class and that is not a good thing. Running against almost all riggers in F hydro and as noted it likely will overpower the hull. May want to sell the 90 and look for a 67 for the scale.

Where do you live in? Are you join new nember ( NAMBA or IMPBA )? Will club help you feedback new any boats !! ;)

I live just south of Oklahoma City and this is a winter project for me. I usually build giant scale planes(Ziroli) and these boats were built as a change of pace. I love to build and these boats are starting to get me interested in something new. I dont belong to a club, I just do this for fun right now. I have a Black Jack 26 nitro and electric that I run at a friends lake.

Thanks for all the info.

I live just south of Oklahoma City and this is a winter project for me. I usually build giant scale planes(Ziroli) and these boats were built as a change of pace. I love to build and these boats are starting to get me interested in something new. I dont belong to a club, I just do this for fun right now. I have a Black Jack 26 nitro and electric that I run at a friends lake.

Thanks for all the info.

Well if want to see some other model boaters in your area, this club has alot of good people. Be sure to look up Harold, he is from Norway, works at one of the air bases there

good luck & have fun

Bob

club:

http://oklahomamodelboatassociation.com/Home_Page.php

Thanks for all the info.

Well if want to see some other model boaters in your area, this club has alot of good people. Be sure to look up Harold, he is from Norway, works at one of the air bases there

good luck & have fun

Bob

club:http://oklahomamodelboatassociation.com
Thanks Bob, I will have to look them up.

Another stupid newbie question, How do I sererate these 2 parts so I can clean them? This is an OPS 45.

Thanks

Another stupid newbie question, How do I sererate these 2 parts so I can clean them? This is an OPS 45.

Thanks

Go to Sears, in the auto dept, buy a battery terminal remover. Put the 2 jaws into the starter belt groove and tighten down the center post on the crankshaft end. It may take some tightening but it will pop off.

After run oil will be fine for reassembling.

Nothing is a stupid question, just those that you do not ask.

Put the 2 jaws into the starter belt groove and tighten down the center post on the crankshaft end. It may take some tightening but it will pop off
Tighten the tool firmly by hand .... hit the tool with a steel-hammer , than it will pop-off.

Overtightning could disform the flywheel/fitting cones ... you don't want that.

Back