"new" use for Irwin's sump tank

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LawlessMan

Adopting an intriguing idea suggested by Joe Knesek, I set up two of Jim's little tanks for pressure oiling on my 20 and 40 tunnels and it worked great! No more greasing flexshafts for me. On the 20, I mounted the sump tank on top of my fuel tank with some Plumber's Goop (good stuff), and on the 40, which has a hopper tank already, I mounted the sump on some velcro up under the cowl. I used a "t" fitting that I got at the hobby shop (you can get them at auto parts stores, too) on the pressure line from the pipe, and ran the outlet of the tank to a fitting on my motor mount plate. I filled the tank once for the day, although, if the boats had run longer, I probably would have had to refill them. To fill them, I used a pump oiler filled with Jim's "special" STP/oil mix, straight into the inlet side of the tank. I had to disconnect the outlet to vent the air. I started to fill the tank the first time by pushing oil into the outlet side, but found I was pumping oil back up the pressure line, which could have lead to oil in the fuel line. Between heats, I pinched off the outlet with a clamp, and at the end of the weekend, I just hooked the inlet to the outlet with a short loop of fuel line to keep the oil from continuing to siphon thru the drive, which it will do, even in the absence of pressure. (gravity still works!) The oil circulated all the way down to the new Nelsen 3.5 propshaft, and kept it very well lubricated. (Yes, it worked very well on the K&B 7.5 propshaft, too). I plugged the water holes in both drives with silicone. If I ever replace either drive, I'll use one without holes. If anybody wants to explore this idea for him/her self, I have the plates available for 3.5, 7.5. and 11 cc K&B motor mounts, that come with the pressure fitting installed. If you use this idea, send Joe a big "Thank You", as he deserves the credit. Also, put a drip rag under the drive when it's not in use, cause you will get some seepage, not good for carpets (LOL)..

Fred

LawlessMan said:
Adopting an intriguing idea suggested by Joe Knesek, I set up two of Jim's little tanks for pressure oiling on my 20 and 40 tunnels and it worked great!  No more greasing flexshafts for me.  On the 20, I mounted the sump tank on top of my fuel tank with some Plumber's Goop (good stuff), and on the 40, which has a hopper tank already, I mounted the sump on some velcro up under the cowl. I used a "t" fitting that I got at the hobby shop (you can get them at auto parts stores, too) on the pressure line from the pipe, and ran the outlet of the tank to a fitting on my motor mount plate.  I filled the tank once for the day, although, if the boats had run longer, I probably would have had to refill them. To fill them, I used a pump oiler filled with Jim's "special" STP/oil mix, straight into the inlet side of the tank. I had to disconnect the outlet to vent the air. I started to fill the tank the first time by pushing oil into the outlet side, but found I was pumping oil back up the pressure line, which could have lead to oil in the fuel line.  Between heats, I pinched off the outlet with a clamp, and at the end of the weekend, I just hooked the inlet to the outlet with a short loop of fuel line to keep the oil from continuing to siphon thru the drive, which it will do, even in the absence of pressure. (gravity still works!)  The oil circulated all the way down to the new Nelsen 3.5 propshaft, and kept it very well lubricated. (Yes, it worked very well on the K&B 7.5 propshaft, too). I plugged the water holes in both drives with silicone. If I ever replace either drive, I'll use one without holes.  If anybody wants to explore this idea for him/her self, I have the plates available for 3.5, 7.5. and 11 cc K&B motor mounts, that come with the pressure fitting installed.  If you use this idea, send Joe a big "Thank You", as he deserves the credit.  Also, put a drip rag under the drive when it's not in use, cause you will get some seepage, not good for carpets (LOL)..Fred

104650[/snapback]

Fred, you did a great job with this post. Very good explaination on hooking up the oiler. Thanks to Joe for the idea. Fred, my 3.5 Lawless is working great. Very good product, for sure. Richard D.

LawlessMan said:
Adopting an intriguing idea suggested by Joe Knesek, I set up two of Jim's little tanks for pressure oiling on my 20 and 40 tunnels and it worked great!  No more greasing flexshafts for me.  On the 20, I mounted the sump tank on top of my fuel tank with some Plumber's Goop (good stuff), and on the 40, which has a hopper tank already, I mounted the sump on some velcro up under the cowl. I used a "t" fitting that I got at the hobby shop (you can get them at auto parts stores, too) on the pressure line from the pipe, and ran the outlet of the tank to a fitting on my motor mount plate.  I filled the tank once for the day, although, if the boats had run longer, I probably would have had to refill them. To fill them, I used a pump oiler filled with Jim's "special" STP/oil mix, straight into the inlet side of the tank. I had to disconnect the outlet to vent the air. I started to fill the tank the first time by pushing oil into the outlet side, but found I was pumping oil back up the pressure line, which could have lead to oil in the fuel line.  Between heats, I pinched off the outlet with a clamp, and at the end of the weekend, I just hooked the inlet to the outlet with a short loop of fuel line to keep the oil from continuing to siphon thru the drive, which it will do, even in the absence of pressure. (gravity still works!)  The oil circulated all the way down to the new Nelsen 3.5 propshaft, and kept it very well lubricated. (Yes, it worked very well on the K&B 7.5 propshaft, too). I plugged the water holes in both drives with silicone. If I ever replace either drive, I'll use one without holes.  If anybody wants to explore this idea for him/her self, I have the plates available for 3.5, 7.5. and 11 cc K&B motor mounts, that come with the pressure fitting installed.  If you use this idea, send Joe a big "Thank You", as he deserves the credit.  Also, put a drip rag under the drive when it's not in use, cause you will get some seepage, not good for carpets (LOL)..Fred

104650[/snapback]

HEY FRED , I AM VERY GLAD IT WORKED FOR YOU . VERY NICE WRITIN ARTICAL. GOD BLESS

Last edited by a moderator:
james irwin said:
LawlessMan said:

104650[/snapback]

HEY FRED , I AM VERY GLAD IT WORKED FOR YOU . VERY NICE WRITIN ARTICAL. GOD BLESS

104680[/snapback]

I bought 4 tanks from Jim last weekend very nice should work great for fuel or oil....Mikey

very well written article! been looking at doing this to my boat. how about some pictures?

nate

bbnate804 said:
very well written article!  been looking at doing this to my boat.  how about some pictures?
nate

104730[/snapback]

This is the best shot I've got. Oil Tank

Last edited by a moderator:
bbnate804 said:
very well written article!  been looking at doing this to my boat.  how about some pictures?
nate

104730[/snapback]

I'll try to get a couple shots of my setups and post them in the next day or so.

Fred

For anybody waiting for pictures of my sump tank oiler set-up, I apologize. I forgot that I loaned my digital camera to my brother to take on vacation. I should have it back this weekend. Sorry for the delay.

Fred

Latest posts

Back