New turn fin setup

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,

I have exactly the same but I asked for a friend to machine an aluminium fin.

Pretty nice craftmanship and design, looks good fitted on my CT06
default_smile.png

I am not cynical. But I have a HUGE personality flaw. I tell people the truth and they get offended. You light into me about my "assumptions"- you haven't even put yours on a boat. Now if you don't mind tell the nice people what your rig sells for in Europe.

Oh gimme a break!! Seriously, the first time I heard this remark was also the first time I had ever been lectured by my parents
default_sleep.png

Were all grown men here. The only thing that isn't illuminating in this sense is when someone passes off an opinion as the "truth."

im repeating myself for the 3rd time now.

You said "The first stick you hit will chip the fin." which I clearly disagreed with, as I dont intend to hit any sticks in the first place, certainly not any large enough to damage ANYTHING. In addition, I also stated that regardless, "The point is that it looks amazing, is light, and could/should be a potential option that should be made more viable." YOU are the one whom insisted on forcing your "truth" onto myself and my thread by saying " No sheer bolt and you rip out the sponson transom. If you wanted light the mounting block should be CF. Sorry if I was not suitably amazed." WTF?
default_sleep.png
As If I dont know what a SHEAR bolt is and their purpose. That, along with your ridiculous condescension were already more than enough to make your point sir. and thats all irrelevant to ANYTHING ANYONE SAID to begin with!

Again, this is now the third time im reiterating the simple purpose for making this thread......As I said first and foremost, I was only sharing pictures of the item as I thought it was interesting, nothing more or less. I wasn't seeking hypothetical theories on how it will perform respective to whatever boat and manner in which I feel like utilizing it in..... Of course as I reiterate, you failed to consider any of this, not that it even matters however, since I am obviously welcoming of all comments..... Ive had this for a long time now and its been simply sitting as I havn't had a boat to use it on yet. I already own a Fantastic turn fin from Mr. Tyndall that the hull has already been drilled and tapped for. It just suddenly occurred to me the other day that perhaps some of the guys here whom appreciate scale detail, would be interested in seeing it..... Apparently it infuriates some unfortunately...

Your carbon fiber turn fin and bracket is definitely a pretty work of art. I can imagine how much effort went into making one of these. However, I think the point that Glenn is trying to make here is that any carbon fiber turn fin is not practical to use when racing R/C boats. If not made properly they can delaminate. When they get chipped, trying to reshape them can ruin the fin ( and THEN they can delaminate ). Aluminum is much more repairable and easier to work with than carbon fiber. I have repaired many turn fins at the races with a file and a hammer and a trailer ball. Anyone who has the talent to make things with carbon fiber ( Terry Keeley comes to mind ) my hat is off to them. Besides, I can't recall seeing any full size hydroplanes using carbon fiber turn fins, much less any aluminum ones that were anodized black. If weight was a factor for using the carbon fiber the number of screws used on your fin would seem to eliminate any weight savings in that department. Nice looking piece, though.

Dick Tyndall
*sigh*

Im fully aware of the point Glenn is making, the point I AM trying to make is that HIS POINT is irrelevant to the thread all together
default_smile.png

Ive purchased 2 turn fins from you sir, 1 from Mike Hughes, as well as an Accu-tech turn fin and finally, this unique piece (and thats just 1/8 scale fins). Your two fins came from Virginia, the AC fin came from Florida, and the Hughes fin is literally from about 5 miles away from my home as i type this. The carbon fiber fin however, came overseas from Germany and is itself, very unique, hence why I felt like sharing. Im not trying to act like this is some groundbreaking piece of hardware thats going to outperform everything.... im just tired of this individual by the name of Glenn, carrying on as if this thing is so horridly designed that its apparently not even worth mounting on a boat, or even talking about on a forum......

Im not completely oblivious to the dynamics of turn fins, and even before I ever even remotely thought about picking up an RC boat, this still was not the case
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks very cool! I have made a few curved carbon fiber fins even used one on a gas sport hydro with no issues. As for big boats there was a 2.5 mod team running a very cool all carbon fiber fin worked very good.

I like the scale look!
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png

Scott Liddycoat up in here!!

and it was all worth it kids
default_smile.png

Nice piece of work but how do you adjust the angle of the fin? It's a pretty fine line what each boat likes in terms of tuck under the boat.
ya this is something ive been thinking about. I currently own an Accu-tech turn fin setup as well which is pretty darn similar in terms of shape and dimension, and the bracket they include allows for alot of adjustment. I plan to probably use that fin until I can find a suitable position and once I am satisfied, ill remove the Accu-tech fin and drill and tap for this one.

Hello,

I have exactly the same but I asked for a friend to machine an aluminium fin.

Pretty nice craftmanship and design, looks good fitted on my CT06
default_smile.png
Hey Mat
default_smile.png

im familiar with your CT06, your running the Spirit of Detroit from the 2013 Gold cup, correct? Jarvis? Ive actually extensively reviewed all your build pictures, very helpful !

I imagine you are familiar with the hardware used overseas then obviously
default_smile.png

So, You don't plan to hit any sticks. You need to take your ignorant azz back to OSE nichismo, Yes I read the build thread so you can drop the act.

Actually, Terry, they are normal on scale boats in the northwest. The idea, when they aren't set too tight, is that if you hit something(hopefully not another boat), the fin kicks back to prevent sponson transom damage to your boat as well as to minimize the damage to another boat if there is a collision.

I get it. Just never done it.

If you're using your fin to trim your boat in any way isn't there a risk of it just spinning on the front screw?

That fin mount trans is the strongest part of my boats. I've only lost one when I was hit. Certainly not from hitting a stick. Maybe if I hit a railroad tie. I've hit fish and turtle without losing the trans. I don't know. Maybe I'm on borrowed time without having a kick up turn fin. I can't imagine my fins staying put with a single screw though.

You know what they say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". My 2000 Elam has a single large screw through the blade, has held up fine for14 years but, at the same time, it's a straight blade mounted at an angle, not a hook mounted vertically

am I right? I mean WTF.... how dare he not be familiar with such sacred tradition !
Guess I was a little annoyed by the implication that if you were an FE guy and frequented OSE you were ignorant. I thought we were passed the notion that FE guys knew nothing. I likely read too much into it.

The most damage I've experienced with any of my boats were due to plane ole' driver error. Some my error. Some others error. I've not injured a boat because I hit debris in the water. I'm sure it's possible. Seems reasonable. Just hasn't happened to me. In fairness though, I've only been racing for 15 or so years and only FE. So I'm kind of a newbie.

On OSE the drama almost always stems from racer opinions varying from sport runner opinions.

Must be winter. We're all keyed up to argue over nothing. Kick up turn fin or not? Really? That's what we found to disagree about? We're better than that. hahaha Next it will be mama jokes.

Once the water thaws we'll all be model boating morons again.

Maybe, but the question then will be are we SAFE model boating morons or not?

The way I see it, there is more than one way to do anything but also more than one way to do anything UNSAFELY. As long as it's safe, GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Safe?? Don't be dragging me into the middle of this - LOL! Heck the only sport hydro I've ever run had the fin bolted solid with 2 bolts through the fin and a spacer to the side of the hull. Not even close to bolted to a bracket or the sponson & absolutely could not kick up. As per Phil Thomas' set up instructions for his SS21 sport hydro (-; So, yeah there are a ton of different ways of doing most anything. That still doesn't mean anyone's ignorant, unsafe or needs to leave here for another forum - just means we're all different. But think about it, if we were all the same this would be one terribly boring world. Different thinking, different ways of doing things, different personalities all help to keep the third rock from the sun interesting. Cabin fever must be here in epidemic proportions, because this is the third time in as many days on as many forums that I have had to say " Ya'll quit beating your chest & acting like 2 year olds". GROW UP!!! If this statement upsets you & makes you feel the need to defend your words - then just maybe you might be one of the guilty parties.

I can see I need to clarify my last post. When I said "Maybe, but the question then will be are we SAFE model boating morons or not?", I wasn't referring to skid fins or hardware. I was referring to how we, as boaters, will behave at the pond. Are we going to be responsible boaters or idiots like many of these people that fly multirotor aircraft that are a danger to everyone. Think about it for a second. How many ways are there to get hurt or hurt someone else with our boats? Skid fins(the subject of this thread and regardless of the material they're made from) can only be as safe as the person actually driving/operating the boats they are mounted to. The same can be said about spinning props and sharpened rudders as well. I'm not accusing anyone of doing anything unsafe, just asking a general question based on Terry's "Once the water thaws we'll all be model boating morons again." The racing season is coming up and I'm looking forward to a fun, injury free one. No more, no less.

It's all good, Mark.(-; I.was just having some fun about me being IMPBA safety director. My post was not directed at any one person. Good post on how our actions & boats set up, or lack thereof can affect both safety & fun,

When aliens come to earth and they show us new,innovative ideas I sure hope they dont post it on here, because they will go back

home scratching there heads. :) hehe

I personally have had turn fin damage from hitting a turtle. It will rip a turn right off or damage it beyond repair. I think a kick up would have helped... Maybe

Tim

Wish I could find the picture. Doug Junior hit a fish at Camp Dearborn. No kick up on the fin. Cut the fish so clean it looked like a surgeon did it. So I guess "safe" really is relative. The fish was likely less than thrilled.

Back