New turn fin setup

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicholashansen

Hey guys,

just wanted to post this as I thought some of you may find it interesting. I had this setup custom made by a friend in Germany. The bracket is T6061 aluminum if I remember correctly (EDIT: incorrect, not sure what kind actually), thats been anodized black and has threads tapped for each bolt, aside from the 4 holding the turnbuckle rods. The fin was CNC cut from 1/8" thick carbon fiber and is actually pretty sharp and feels very robust, and its also alot lighter than my other turn fins, despite being a bit bigger (I have an accutech scale turn fin and its about 1/4" taller, longer and wider). The rods are perhaps 10/32 threaded maybe? and the brackets on each end feel like anodized aluminum too I believe, but clearly I know alot less about the rods. One bracket is shorter and threaded to attach to the turn fin, the other side the holes are simply counter sunk.

Ill try to get a picture of it mounted in position! Excited for a turn fin truly scale in appearence
default_smile.png
Ill need to either epoxy and laminate a piece of plywood into the side of the hull, and then use some 4-40 brass inserts, or just use some aluminum. Not sure yet...

20151114_185731.jpg

20151114_185829.jpg

20151114_185914.jpg

20151114_185756.jpg

20151114_185851.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That sure is pretty but I think many clubs require that the skid fin and rudder have "kickup" capability if they come in contact with an object. Maybe this has that capability. Very nice looking.

Very cool!

The numerous guys over in Europe use these all the time and never have any issues with durability. Anything that would chip this would inherently damage any other typically used material too, so its a moot point. The point is that it looks amazing, is light, and could/should be a potential option that should be made more viable.

It is not a " moot point" an aluminum fin can be straightened between heats. No sheer bolt and you rip out the sponson transom. If you wanted light the mounting block should be CF. Sorry if I was not suitably amazed. Nice machine work-poor design.

straightened between heats? What are you talking about, you know not everyone is strictly sharing the same goals as you......

its not a moot point? are you basically saying its important that you prove your correct? ummm lol

"suitably amazed" he says..... LOL wow. You know, being amazed vs your clear surmise driven blunt disapproval have a wide spectrum between them buddy.

You have a assumption, i have tangible pieces of its successful use. lets end it at that

because this isnt "my way vs your way." This is you trying to argue that this thing isnt even worth trying apparently.

My only thought would be that the bracket would be better if made from 7075 rather than 6061. That said, with the bracing that goes to the side of the boat, 6061 may be strong enough. I'd have to see one after a few races to know how well it holds up

Would it be an assumption if I have built and run all CF setups before? Have you?

All CF. Dual hole pattern to allow a curved fin or a straight fin, 4-40 brass sheer bolt. Would I make more of the same? No, the blade was around 1/4" narrower at the end of the summer(from grinding back the leading edge). .050 1/4 hard stainless makes a good straight fin, 2024 T-3 is commonly used for curved fins.This was for a 1/8 scale nitro boat not a 35 pound barge.

cf 002.JPG

All CF. Dual hole pattern to allow a curved fin or a straight fin, 4-40 brass sheer bolt. Would I make more of the same? No, the blade was around 1/4" narrower at the end of the summer(from grinding back the leading edge). .050 1/4 hard stainless makes a good straight fin, 2024 T-3 is commonly used for curved fins.This was for a 1/8 scale nitro boat not a 35 pound barge.
35 pound "barge" , HAH.

your demeanor is so cynical and misanthropic it's sad. You made your point.

Your carbon fiber turn fin and bracket is definitely a pretty work of art. I can imagine how much effort went into making one of these. However, I think the point that Glenn is trying to make here is that any carbon fiber turn fin is not practical to use when racing R/C boats. If not made properly they can delaminate. When they get chipped, trying to reshape them can ruin the fin ( and THEN they can delaminate ). Aluminum is much more repairable and easier to work with than carbon fiber. I have repaired many turn fins at the races with a file and a hammer and a trailer ball. Anyone who has the talent to make things with carbon fiber ( Terry Keeley comes to mind ) my hat is off to them. Besides, I can't recall seeing any full size hydroplanes using carbon fiber turn fins, much less any aluminum ones that were anodized black. If weight was a factor for using the carbon fiber the number of screws used on your fin would seem to eliminate any weight savings in that department. Nice looking piece, though.

Dick Tyndall

I am not cynical. But I have a HUGE personality flaw. I tell people the truth and they get offended. You light into me about my "assumptions"- you haven't even put yours on a boat. Now if you don't mind tell the nice people what your rig sells for in Europe.

Anyone know the Modulus of Elasticity for carbon fiber sheet? I would be interested to compare stiffness to the common metals used for turn fins.

A 15 degree angle is always a good place to start. But just like the full size hydros, more angle sucks the sponson down to the water in the corners ( more drag, more "bite" ) and less angle equals less drag. Certainly not the same for every boat.

Dick Tyndall

It looks very cool! I have made a few curved carbon fiber fins even used one on a gas sport hydro with no issues. As for big boats there was a 2.5 mod team running a very cool all carbon fiber fin worked very good.

I like the scale look!

Back