New Project

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaddySundown

I purchased a used 11 CMB powered Jaguar Hydro from a friend that had quit racing. This thing really screamed. It had been clocked at 97 mph by radar. Then I bought it and ran it into a tree. :angry: CRAP!! Well the pick up boat brought me the spliners that was left.

I have decided to put this engine on a K&B lower and run it on a 34" tunnel I purchased on E-Bay. I was told this hull was a Hornet. The hull was yellow with flame decals, I pulled the decals with a little heat then tried to remove the glue with Goo Gone and the paint began to come off. :eek: So I decided to wipe ff the paint with acetone. There were two colors, yellow then white. After getting off the white there was florescent green with the a name Savage on both sides. This would not wipe off. Seems to be polyurethane. Now it looks better than it did when I bought it. :lol:

I'm thinking PB mount, X452 prop, 2 quarter scale servo's that were in it, or maybe one. I've never used quarter scale servo's. They seem to be a little heavy. 2 mini servo's, one for throttle and one for mixture. 12 oz fuel cell and 1 oz hopper.

I intend on running this boat before I refurbish and paint it. Any suggestions are welcome.

View attachment 3712

Last edited by a moderator:
I've installed the Hobbico CS-80 Giant Scale 2 BB servo(334 oz. in. of torque on a 6v pack) and it's capable to handling an 11 OB. It is a little bigger than the standard 1/4 scale servo. But, it's only $30 + shipping from Tower.

The boat sure looks like a Hornet.

JD

The boat sure looks like a Hornet.
JD
It basically is Jerry. This is the fore running to the hornet. Carl made changes and then came out with the hornet.

Mike

****, I know this is simple but I can't figure out "PB mount??

Also, if you want to avoid hitting another tree stick w/two 1/4 scale servos. Should one go out while turning the second will be enough to navigate the boat through the course safely. Also, the weight for such a powerful motor would be good weight anyway. 12oz tank for a 90?? Sounds about 2 oz too small, no? Well, ig uess if it's for play 12oz is good enough. I just know those CMB 90's love them some fuel! :lol: :lol:

Hi all it is a savage. then the hornet was next. i think he is refering to a pb mount that tim fulton makes. just make sure that the distance from the transome to the hinge pin is 1 3/4. if you need any help daddy sundown ler me know i am making the hornet now along with the irwin pipes see ya jimmy

topfuel443 said:
Rodney....
PB = Precision Boats

:D

~James

78888[/snapback]

DDOOOOOFFFF!!! :blink: :blink: I only own three of 'em... :lol: :lol:

Jimmy,

Terry is sending me a matched 1/4 scale servo so I'll be finishing the boat this weekk!! Hip-Hip-Hooray!!!

Hey Big Daddy,

This engine is a 67 not a 90 and I know what ya mean about a 90 sucking the fuel. :blink:

My hitting a tree was a bad receiver, my fault for not checking the range before the launch!! Whoops! :rolleyes:

Yeah with that much power weight is really not that big a deal 2 1/4 scale servos it is. ;)

Hey Jimmy,

1 3/4" to the hinge pin. That seems to be a bit long. Wouldn't it be better to have it closer to the transom? The further back you go the more bow lift, right?. With this much power on this short a boat wouldn't you want it closer to reduce bow lift?

Ok let me see if i can explane this. the diffrence between the savage and the hornet is in the center cetion is that the center on the hornet os longer and the cowling is lower than the savage. the legnth of the two hulls is the same. now the savage and hornet sets up the same and back about 10 years ago we found that when the hinge pin is located at the rear of the sponsons the handling of the hull improved greatly. also the balance point on the hull is diffrent from most hulls out there you want it at 11 3/8 to 11 1/2 from the rear of the hull. do not worry about the weight of the hull when finished rember the flatter the hull runs the faster it will go. as of now my 7.5 mod hull weights 9.5 lbs and is running over 60 mph and my 11 cc hull weights 10 1/4 lbs and is faster than my 7.5 and both handle as if they are on rails

now back to the engine mount. the 1 3/4 from the transome to the hinge pin most important puts the prop in the right area for overall performance using the k&b lower unit( speed and handling) hope this helps if you need any more info just let me know or call me at 864-593-8559 see ya jimmy

Looks like by this pic the hinge pin is closer to the transom than 1 3/4". I'll get a measurement when I get to my shop.

hi daddysundown call me today if you can at 864-593-8559. you do not have a engine mount on the hull. the hinge plate is mounted to the transome. there should be a engine mount there to give you up and down adjustment and angle adjustment

Jimmy,

I have couple of options on a mount. Just trying to get the one with the right amount of set back.

Okay here's what I got. I measure 1 1/2" from the top of the transom straight back even with the rear of the sponson. From the bottom of the tramsom is 1 5/8". I am thinking I should go with the top measurement. That being said I have 2 options on mounts.

1. Precision Boats mount and a 3/8" spacer. (This mount equals 1 1/2" from transom to hinge pin center.

2. A long Prather style mount. (This mount equals 1 3/4" from transom to hinge pin)

I have attached a picture of the mounts.

Jimmy,

Okay, I got the servo trays made today. But in order to use two 1/4 scale servos, I made a seperate small tray for the 2 mini servos to go almost all the way up front. The idea is the servos will sit at a slight, same tilt going down in the front of the radio box, what's that 45 degrees?? This way the wires for the throttle and thrid needle will go underneath the 1/4 scale servos.

So in order from front of the nose to the fuel tank will be:

receiver

2 mini's side by side

1/4 scale servo

on'off

2nd 1/4 scale

I'm gonna do as you say and put a battery pack in the nose. You said you used something heavy duty?? Do you stock them, how much are they?

Also, instead of painting on a window I wanted to airbrush a mouth, something similar to the WWII fighter palnes and B-52's used to have. No anywhere that have that decals before I paint it?

Alan,

Give us a call, we make a special center peice just for the Hornet and Savage that puts your prop shaft in the proper position. Just give us a ring!!!

Josh B)

Precision Boats

Back