Need help with 89-90 Miss Circus Circus

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay heres my problem I have late pictures of the 89 circus on the trailer and testing my question is did the 89 90 circus qualify or raced with the round backed cowl on the pink lady?primary boat.I know it raced on the old school bus but unsure of the pink lady even thought that cowl was on the boat when testing and transporting it on the trailer from race to race.And would anyone have picture of it with the round cowl being raced on the pink lady??Thanks Shann
Thanks Doug!

Did you ever get what you needed Shann? Sorry.

]

Thanks Doug!

Did you ever get what you needed Shann? Sorry.

Yes as far as the cowling goes,Mike helped out alot with the awesome pictures he sent me of the 90 Circus.Now if Doug could post the formulas for the magenta (dark pink) that would be great I have the pinks but the magenta I have sucks.I painted my 93 Circus with it which is in my gallery but Im not over impressed with it.Now I cannot wait to get back home and get the hull ready for skinning at least so I can pickup where I left off on my cowling plugs too start molds.So Doug which Dupont paint you have?Is it the same as Berts 93 Circus you where painting?? Shann

Dark DUPONT # 843314F

801J 38.0 GRAM

886J 52.9 GRAMS

855J 58.8 GRAMS

807J 62.6 GRAMS

62320F 118.6 GRAMS

62330F 151.5 GRAMS

THIS IS A 5.0 OZ MIX SCANNNED FROM A PIECE FROM THE (1990) CICRUS WING

Last edited:
No big deal Hugh. I was gone at a race this weekend and didn't get a chance to reply. The only reason I did my 89 boat in Sikkens is my Exide was done in Sikkens before I bought it and I liked the way it worked on that boat and it turned out one of my neighbors two doors down is a regional rep for Sikkens. Plus I really liked the clear they had at that time. Now because of all the big enviromental changes here in California, and I'm sure it's happening elsewhere too, all this basecoat colors are different. I converted my original colors to the new water based codes in Sikkens but I wasn't happy with it. The colors seem to have lost something with their new water based formulations. I painted my riggers once with PPG and used to use the PPG speed clear but after this last scale boat I had done by a guy that has a shop on the same street where my office is. He has won "Best Paint" at some of the street rod shows I have done sound and voiceover work for. I went to him and he used DuPont on my latest boat and I was really impressed with it. Especially the clear. The DuPont 5100 is what I think it is really nice. I had never used it before and I was stoked. But as of now I haven't gone through the process of doing up my codes for DuPont yet. I'm going to work with this guy to figure out what I need even though one of my street rod buddies recently went to work for PPG and keeps telling me he can hook me up. I have to get this done soon though as I have another boat that will be ready for paint as soon as I finish a few more parts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dark DUPONT # 843314F

801J 38.0 GRAM

886J 52.9 GRAMS

855J 58.8 GRAMS

807J 62.6 GRAMS

62320F 118.6 GRAMS

62330F 151.5 GRAMS

were these numbers for Shann's magenta? Do you have the codes for all the pinks doug and the blue?

Dark DUPONT # 843314F

801J 38.0 GRAM

886J 52.9 GRAMS

855J 58.8 GRAMS

807J 62.6 GRAMS

62320F 118.6 GRAMS

62330F 151.5 GRAMS

were these numbers for Shann's magenta? Do you have the codes for all the pinks doug and the blue?
I have all the pinks and the blue .This is the Dark pink formula. I will post the other colors in the mourning The formula is in running order in grams. THIS IS NOT THE AMOUNT OF COLOR PER MIXING COLOR . I also have the formula's in Sikkens as well (NOT WATER BASE) Doug

Last edited:
DOUG?

Dark DUPONT # 843314F

801J 38.0 GRAM

886J 52.9 GRAMS

855J 58.8 GRAMS

807J 62.6 GRAMS

62320F 118.6 GRAMS

62330F 151.5 GRAMS

I have all the pinks and the blue .This is the Dark pink formula. I will post the other colors in the mourning The formula is in running order in grams. THIS IS NOT THE AMOUNT OF COLOR PER MIXING COLOR . I also have the formula's in Sikkens as well (NOT WATER BASE) Doug

DOUG?

Dark DUPONT # 843314F

801J 38.0 GRAM

886J 52.9 GRAMS

855J 58.8 GRAMS

807J 62.6 GRAMS

62320F 118.6 GRAMS

62330F 151.5 GRAMS

I have been very busy!!! Circus Light Pink

801 J 54.3

807 J 58.8

886 J 62.5

855 J 63.6

62320F 127.1

62350F 157.0

5.0 OZ MIIX CHROMA PREMIER

Last edited:
DOUG?

Dark DUPONT # 843314F

801J 38.0 GRAM

886J 52.9 GRAMS

855J 58.8 GRAMS

807J 62.6 GRAMS

62320F 118.6 GRAMS

62330F 151.5 GRAMS

I have been very busy!!! Circus Light Pink #819786F

801 J 54.3 GRAMS

807 J 58.8

886 J 62.5

855 J 63.6

62320F 127.1

62350F 157.0

5.0 OZ MIIX CHROMA PREMIER
MED PINK #8197795 f

801J 46.9 GRAMS

886J 58.3

855J 59.3

807J 60.9

62320F 119.1

62330F 154.5

5.0 MIX

BLUE #396817F

801J 23.8 GRAMS

828J 39.4

820J 41.2

827J 42.8

62320J 84.4

62330J 117.7

4.0 OZ MIX CHROMA PREMIER DUPONT

Last edited:
Okay, now I have a question for Mr Sheperd. Since you have specific numbers for the pinks and blue, is there a specific white or whites for this boat as well? I know Dumas called it "Ice White" in their literature but their literature is obviously suspect in the paint colors as already discussed

Okay, now I have a question for Mr Sheperd. Since you have specific numbers for the pinks and blue, is there a specific white or whites for this boat as well? I know Dumas called it "Ice White" in their literature but their literature is obviously suspect in the paint colors as already discussed
I aways use a pure white, Because white gets darker over age. Thanks Doug

I aways use a pure white, Because white gets darker over age. Thanks Doug
No! we thank you Doug; for the colors.

Thanks Doug,For the paint formulas very helpful indeed.As far a the white I normally use Imron Cherry blossom white.But now with the no solvent paints Im forced to look at others not really looking forward to this part.Again Thanks a million Doug.As well to Mike Mcknight.Shann

Hugh to answer the windshield question look at pic 3 above. That is the Pink Lady and working from front to back both boats have a swept trailing edge but the PL sweeps back from bottom to top with the top being the longest point. Now scroll up to pic 1. That is the School Bus, the 89 backup boat. The windshield sweeps back from top to bottom with the bottom being the longest point.

Now to answer the Dumas question...I can only assume that they were trying to duplicate the the 1989 Circus. Because as HJ stated it is really a melding of the PL and the SB. It has the shorter nose and inset transom of the PL but the sponsons of the SB. There are some more but those are the big ones. In 1988 both hulls had the pointier sponsons. The Pink Lady was the U-31 Circus and the School Bus was the U-00 Miller and for one race the U-00 Circus. It's a confusing story but I won't go into all that now. Before the 1989 season the PL was refitted with radiused or rounded sponsons but the SB did not. They kept it as is basically and just repaired the damage from the flip in San Diego in 88. Both boats were painted identically in 1989 and there was one small decal on the nose of the SB that is not on the PL. Now as far as the Dumas decals are concerned they are actually a combination of 88, 89, and 90. The real story of the boats is somewhat confusing so it's not surprising that Dumas is a little off on accuracy. The Dumas Circus is fine as a fun boat and I'm sure that is what their intention was when they started offering it. As far as 1/8 Scale Unlimited racing is concerned, it would need some modifications to meet the rules of either racing organization. I've seen some Dumas boats that have had mods made and ran well.

Now for the paint differences between 89-90 on the PL. It's really very subtle. The pink that is at the top edge of the sponson where it meets the airtrap...on the 89 ot rolls over that edge and then stops on the inside wall of the trap well above the canard wing. You can kind of see it in pic 3. On the 90 the pink goes all the way down below the canard wing. Also on the vertical wings they had one that was longer than the other and extended above the horizontal. Plus they had a U31 decal on the right vertical at the bottom. That is one of the decals included in the Dumas set. I sent a bunch of these pictures to Shann last week. I'll try to post them later.
what would i need to do to make the dumas as correct as possible as the pink lady?

Im still looking for paint too :(

circus.JPG

Last edited:
I can give you the blue(about 6oz), dk. pink(4-5oz) and med pk.(4-5 oz). single stage PPG Concept as I have retired my 89' Circus after getting hit, not woth saving and decided to go in a different direction.

Back