Need help with 89-90 Miss Circus Circus

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found my old Dumas plans. I looked them over several times and I do not see any paint codes on any of the sheets. They had some mixing formulas I think that was on another sheet somewhere. But I've seen several boats painted from those mix formulas and they are a bit off.

You're right about the formulas, they're in the building instructions on one of the last two sheets, would have to go find mine to be exact on which one. I haven't seen one painted with the Dumas supplied mixes so can't say on that. Instead of using the Dumas color sheet, I'd order one from David Newton and call it good. I also know that in one of the threads on this site has all the color numbers listed for at least one year that the boats ran as the Circus.

Mike,Thanks for the pics their perfect.The trailer pics are what I needed to perfect the rear cowling.Cannot wait to arrive home now,The last time I was home I finished the sponson bottom skins and chines.so now its almost ready for the decks,Just need to get a hold of Phil Thomas about rear wings sets.The cockpit is ready for tooling gel to start the process of molding.I may have the paint codes on my cans from my 87 & 93 Circus Circus will look when I get home.If I can still read them I will post em.And yeah the codeds from the dumas kit my first build was horendous color match way off.It would be nice to get updated codes that are not Imron since here in Canada they refuse to make imron due to its potent VOC content being so high,It sucks cause the new paint is all ful base urethane being waterbased.instead of polyuerthane,with poly its bullet proof but its SOB to spray.but worth the finish. okay long winded enough latr Shann

Now that is strange that you can't get a good match. Northwest Auto Body Supply in Washington State can mix PPG to any Imron color just by putting in the color number or scanning a color sample or picture

Now that is strange that you can't get a good match. Northwest Auto Body Supply in Washington State can mix PPG to any Imron color just by putting in the color number or scanning a color sample or picture
It sucks here cause the dorks at the auto parts stores cannot be bothered to scan paint here if its not in the color books your SOL,PPG paint retailers here are like lookin for a needle in a hay stack.And if you do fnd one that is willing to sell to the general public they will hose you so bad that its soon not funny.I bought a quart of passion red for touch up on my truck and wow lets say with activator and paint $250.00 bucks just dont cover it then add taxes It cost me about $467.00 dollars for a little touch up for my truck what a kick in the rear end

I debated with this paint issue for years. First it was Dupont Imron the original paint the real boat was painted in (POOR FISH AND PAINTER). Then it was this PPG . For myself I think I overthought it.I have the ppg numbers as someone here gave them too me. BUT lets be real its three shades of pink. All you need is some white and some red maybe maybe some black but probably not. Mix it in drops to get each shade; bam thats your ratio for lets say ounces or watever. I tried some plasticoat primer from advanced auto 20 dollars . Spayed it with a touch up Sata minijet. It did just fine. I wont be using anymore to paint this boat than some Nason red and white or plasticoat red and white. Mind you mine is an FE so I dont have to be concerned with 40% nitro stripping my paint. Nitro guys need real paint, so that is a real concern.

I found my old Dumas plans. I looked them over several times and I do not see any paint codes on any of the sheets. They had some mixing formulas I think that was on another sheet somewhere. But I've seen several boats painted from those mix formulas and they are a bit off.
No not the formulas; they had a color layout plan full size.It was one of the main sheets that made up the plans.I tell you one thing this Circus is the only thing pink I plan to own lol.Beautiful boats.

PPG codes

PINK#1-ppg color #139-5(Katies Kite)

PINK#2-ppg color #139-6(Impatient Pink)

PINK#3-ppg color #139-7(Wild Murberry)

BLUE#1-ppg color #248-7(Florentine Lapis)

Last edited:
I'm not sure where these colors came from but they are not PPG colors. The last time I checked on these which was about 4 years ago the big PPG distributor here said these are not PPG numbers. PPG codes are at least 5 digits. When I did my PL back in 07 I did the colors in Sikkens AutoBase Plus. Unfortunately since then all the baseboat colors in California are all water based now. After I had my 78 painted I am redoing all the colors in the new DuPont waterbased base coats. The guy that painted my 78 used them along with the DuPont 5100 clear and I was very impressed. I used Sikkens 3 part clear the last time I painted a boat and it was awesome gloss and it was so fuelproof I'm having a hell of a time getting it off my Exide as I'm . But....they have had to change to a low VOC formula and I don't like the finish as much as the DuPont and they don't sell it in anything except gallons. Since I will be painting the School Bus in a few weeks I'll post the codes when I get them done.

I'm not sure where these colors came from but they are not PPG colors. The last time I checked on these which was about 4 years ago the big PPG distributor here said these are not PPG numbers. PPG codes are at least 5 digits. When I did my PL back in 07 I did the colors in Sikkens AutoBase Plus. Unfortunately since then all the baseboat colors in California are all water based now. After I had my 78 painted I am redoing all the colors in the new DuPont waterbased base coats. The guy that painted my 78 used them along with the DuPont 5100 clear and I was very impressed. I used Sikkens 3 part clear the last time I painted a boat and it was awesome gloss and it was so fuelproof I'm having a hell of a time getting it off my Exide as I'm . But....they have had to change to a low VOC formula and I don't like the finish as much as the DuPont and they don't sell it in anything except gallons. Since I will be painting the School Bus in a few weeks I'll post the codes when I get them done.
sorry but I just got these numbers and my friend who paints cars for a living has already checked theses numbers and you certainly can take these numbers to a ppg dealer and get the colors you need. Companies change there numbering system from time to time. None of theses are base colors they are custom made up mostly of red and white so no you cannot go to the shelf and pull these colors off.You have to have them mixed at the store,but if you let me dig deep enough I can supply you with codes that use the 5 digit system you speak of.

proof: http://www.ppg.com/corporate/ideascapes/paints/tools/Documents/RGB%20Values%20Voice%20Of%20Color.pdf

I would never lead you astray my friend

Last edited:
I would never accuse you of false info. I'm just saying that when I took these to the PPG distributor here some 4 or 5 years ago they said these were not PPG numbers. The reason being as they are not automotive colors these are architectural color. In fact, it says architectural at the top of the list. The Index Numbers and the RGB numbers do not translate across. If you go to a PPG Automotive Dealer and ask for this he is going to try to forward you to a non-automotive paint supplier.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would never accuse you of false info. I'm just saying that when I took these to the PPG distributor here some 4 or 5 years ago they said these were not PPG numbers. So I'm not sure how old these are but currently they use a 5 digit system. They may however be able to recreate from the RGB values on the right columns.
I cant dispute that but as you can see theses are ppg numbers and all you have to do is take them to a ppg dealer and "WE" will get the correct paint for "OUR" circuses maybe your distributors is off but this is a ppg chart and I verified them this year, BUT In the name of thoroughness please post you 5 digit codes.

Last edited:
Please re-read the previous post...I edited it to specify that this list is not automotive paints. I called my local PPG dealer since I have a friend that works there and when I got further into this catalog with him that is when he pointed out this is PPG just not Automotive PPG paints.

Please re-read the previous post...I edited it to specify that this list is not automotive paints. I called my local PPG dealer since I have a friend that works there and when I got further into this catalog with him that is when he pointed out this is PPG not not Automotive PPG paints.
Like I said Im not gonna get into a dispute ppg is not ppg now okay. If your friend knows then where is the 5 digit formulas? I was merely trying to help;uc follow you friends lead as my painter and I are liars I guess? Anyway this is what I got take it or leave it. Seems a little silly though what we designate it as and certainly if hes as competent as you claim he can take any ppg number and cross reference to automotive so the debate is fruitless.The point was you stated these were not ppg numbers and thats incorrect. I would like to see your 5 digit paint codes irregaurdless.

Last edited:
Hugh, hang on I'm not trying to ruffle feathers or call anyone a liar. I am just passing on what I experienced when I covered this ground. Trying to nail down these colors has been a major pain for a long time. All I am saying is that yeah you can take these to a PPG dealer and see what happens. The link you posted is for Architectural Paint. Automotive and Architectural are two different divisions of PPG. The store guy I talked to years ago didn't make the connection when I asked him about the colors and names. When I called my PPG friend today and asked, my friend asked me where I was getting these numbers from and I gave him the info at the top of the catalog. That's when we figured out what the deal was and that is why the guy at the store couldn't figure out what these numbers were because they are not in the Automotive Paint catalog. That's all they have access to at the store level. Now according to the PPG rep you would have to get someone from each division to try and cross match this stuff since each type of paint is formulated differently since they are for different applications. I know one color will no0t cross match because the blue is a metallic not a flat color. ALmost all the Architectural colors are flat.

Trust me I'm not trying to piss anybody off and I certainly am not calling anyone a liar I am just trying to save everyone concerned some time and hassle by not covering the same ground over and over. When I get the ones I have converted, and I'm using DuPont not PPG, I will gladly post the codes. I just haven't gotten that far yet... If you find a solution in the mean time then I applaud your effort. I am not saying I have the solution and we may never find the exact colors but I will give you guys what I find so we can get close.

Hugh, hang on I'm not trying to ruffle feathers or call anyone a liar. I am just passing on what I experienced when I covered this ground. Trying to nail down these colors has been a major pain for a long time. All I am saying is that yeah you can take these to a PPG dealer and see what happens. The link you posted is for Architectural Paint. Automotive and Architectural are two different divisions of PPG. The store guy I talked to years ago didn't make the connection when I asked him about the colors and names. When I called my PPG friend today and asked, my friend asked me where I was getting these numbers from and I gave him the info at the top of the catalog. That's when we figured out what the deal was and that is why the guy at the store couldn't figure out what these numbers were because they are not in the Automotive Paint catalog. That's all they have access to at the store level. Now according to the PPG rep you would have to get someone from each division to try and cross match this stuff since each type of paint is formulated differently since they are for different applications. I know one color will no0t cross match because the blue is a metallic not a flat color. ALmost all the Architectural colors are flat.

Trust me I'm not trying to piss anybody off and I certainly am not calling anyone a liar I am just trying to save everyone concerned some time and hassle by not covering the same ground over and over. When I get the ones I have converted, and I'm using DuPont not PPG, I will gladly post the codes. I just haven't gotten that far yet... If you find a solution in the mean time then I applaud your effort. I am not saying I have the solution and we may never find the exact colors but I will give you guys what I find so we can get close.
Agreed but your paint man should tell you that an original paint from 20 years ago wouldnt match today either the air and atmosphere is different so looking for a PERFECT match will have you crazy for a long long time. A GOOD paint guy can throw some pearl or metal flake in thats not a big deal. I think your overthinking it as I was.Nevertheless I apologize for any misinformation but lets remember the boat was originally painted in imron so the minute you go to something outside of that the what difference does it make?automotive or architectual which to me probably is better suited for a boat anyway. The dumas kit came with the exact imron numbers and some are still not satisfied with the matching results sooo....... go figure.This is a topic you can definately over think. I know coz i did it for 20 years on this paint scheme.Now I just want my boat painted and im not spending 500.00 dollars to do it.Plasticote or Nason and my eye here I come.

Last edited:
Has anyone located the Dumas color layout scheme yet?Which pinks go where?

Last edited:

Agreed but your paint man should tell you that an original paint from 20 years ago wouldnt match today either the air and atmosphere is different so looking for a PERFECT match will have you crazy for a long long time. A GOOD paint guy can throw some pearl or metal flake in thats not a big deal. I think your overthinking it as I was.Nevertheless I apologize for any misinformation but lets remember the boat was originally painted in imron so the minute you go to something outside of that the what difference does it make?automotive or architectual which to me probably is better suited for a boat anyway. The dumas kit came with the exact imron numbers and some are still not satisfied with the matching results sooo....... go figure.This is a topic you can definately over think. I know coz i did it for 20 years on this paint scheme.Now I just want my boat painted and im not spending 500.00 dollars to do it.Plasticote or Nason and my eye here I come.
Mike If I came off as an ass Im sorry. What I was trying to say is you would think an architectual paint would be made to deal with the elements of outdoors. Dont get me wrong Sikkens and Imron are some tough durable finishes, but no one really wants to paint them anymore and soon they may not be available. With the 500 dollars I could buy two more boats and Id rather do that. There are alot of circus circus boats out there and I have yet to see one that I didnt like or even really consider the accurateness sp? of the hue or tint of the paint. The reason I said your are overthinking it is you want it perfect as I want mine; But the fact that you care so much is the very reason it WILL be perfect to us just not to you. Not at all am I discouraging you from a 500 dollar paint job Im just saying if its off a little it will still be a beautiful model so dont pull your hair out.I hope you understand why I said I dont think the "original imron" colors would match perfectly. I was in no way trying to insult your paint man either I was just saying he can add a litte metalic no problem.I definately need your help with the correct areas to put the paint so dont be mad at me. The info you have given me has been extremely valuable in figuring out this CIRCUS of confusion.Ive looked at your boats and I realize your a pefectionist

Ps Please accept my apology as its sincere. If I offended anyone that wasnt my intention.

Back