Need Help on old outrigger.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Ken

A few pointers on lightning the Phantom. The Phantom due (in part) to all it's adjustments was a little heavy. One of the biggest reasons it came out heavy was the over use of epoxy by some builders. First off, use a body putty spreader to apply your epoxy. This will make it smooth and thin. Where foam is concerned, only coat the wood side. This will require that you get the wood firmly against the foam to dry. Foam can soak up loads of epoxy! When you coat interior parts with epoxy, thin it with 91% rubbing alcohol. Do not use 70% alcohol as the other 30% is water and will leave your epoxy soft, sticky and it will never completely cure. Never apply epoxy on high humidity days, it goes stupid! Also, build the rear sponsons without the interior doublers, blind mounting nuts, etc. After completing both rear sponsons, just glue them onto the hull in the position shown on the plans. They will not be adjustable but I never found the need to adjust them anyway. You can drill lightening holes in any of the doublers, mounting blocks, etc. to save weight.

Something I used to do was place all of the boat parts on a set of scales. Record the weight. After making all of my mods, I re-weighed them. This will give you an idea of how much weight you have saved. Doing this coupled with using epoxy very sparingly will give you a much lighter boat. Joe
hi joe. did you ever think about an inboard for the trike? might be interesting.

Hi Ken

A few pointers on lightning the Phantom. The Phantom due (in part) to all it's adjustments was a little heavy. One of the biggest reasons it came out heavy was the over use of epoxy by some builders. First off, use a body putty spreader to apply your epoxy. This will make it smooth and thin. Where foam is concerned, only coat the wood side. This will require that you get the wood firmly against the foam to dry. Foam can soak up loads of epoxy! When you coat interior parts with epoxy, thin it with 91% rubbing alcohol. Do not use 70% alcohol as the other 30% is water and will leave your epoxy soft, sticky and it will never completely cure. Never apply epoxy on high humidity days, it goes stupid! Also, build the rear sponsons without the interior doublers, blind mounting nuts, etc. After completing both rear sponsons, just glue them onto the hull in the position shown on the plans. They will not be adjustable but I never found the need to adjust them anyway. You can drill lightening holes in any of the doublers, mounting blocks, etc. to save weight.

Something I used to do was place all of the boat parts on a set of scales. Record the weight. After making all of my mods, I re-weighed them. This will give you an idea of how much weight you have saved. Doing this coupled with using epoxy very sparingly will give you a much lighter boat. Joe
hi joe. did you ever think about an inboard for the trike? might be interesting.
Hi John, as a matter of fact, the original prototype of the Trike was an inboard. It had an engine cowl like the Phantom. I really think the problem I had with the Trike was the CG needed to be farther to the rear than it was, I am not sure. I didn't get to completely work it out. Might be fun (when I get the time) to build another Trike and work out the setup on it. Joe

Hey Joe, you need to bring that phantom boat back, Denny Preston had one

that was lightning fast, beautiful boat,,,always wanted to build a twin version of the boat,,,
As a matter of fact, I gave Denny the only twin Phantom I ever built. It had twin OPS .65s. I did a few test runs with it but never spent the time to really get it to go fast. I don't know what Denny ever did with it. As for bringing the Phantom back, WOW, you do realize the boat is almost 40 years old? If I ever do anything, I would design the Phantom II which I have did concept drawings of. It would be much simpler, much lighter and MUCH faster. Later! Joe
Do you have any pics of the Phantom Twin that you built?

did this boat have a single Aluminum bracket holding the front sponson to the Boat Hull and were the sponsons hollow?

Hey Joe, you need to bring that phantom boat back, Denny Preston had one

that was lightning fast, beautiful boat,,,always wanted to build a twin version of the boat,,,
As a matter of fact, I gave Denny the only twin Phantom I ever built. It had twin OPS .65s. I did a few test runs with it but never spent the time to really get it to go fast. I don't know what Denny ever did with it. As for bringing the Phantom back, WOW, you do realize the boat is almost 40 years old? If I ever do anything, I would design the Phantom II which I have did concept drawings of. It would be much simpler, much lighter and MUCH faster. Later! Joe
Do you have any pics of the Phantom Twin that you built?

did this boat have a single Aluminum bracket holding the front sponson to the Boat Hull and were the sponsons hollow?
Hello

Your best place to contact Joe Bishop is on Facebook at Bishop Aeromarine or email [email protected] he well answer your questions there. Are New web site is coming soon Thank you

Ken

Back