My whiplash Sport 20 weighs 6.2 pounds. How much does your sport 20 weigh?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Schmidt

About six years ago I built my sport 20 whiplash.
The boat turned out great, but over the years I have not been able to get it to run consistently. I think it may be due to the weight.

after doing some more research I realize I may have used too much west systems epoxy to seal and strengthen the boat.

I mean I really put it on baby. The Boat is supposed to weigh 5 pounds ready to run

I am considering getting a brand new kit and use the methods I have learned over the past few years on using epoxy resins for sealing boat. If you have any thoughts on this topic please feel free to opine.

I can tell you one thing.
this boat will never ever rot out LOL.
Thanks
Jim

Epoxy won't strengthen anything, it just adds weight. A very thin layer is all that's needed to seal the wood
I have a redesigned Dumas Pak that weighs just over 5 pounds with a full built up cowl, twin tails and wing.
To43728[1].jpg

Thanks HJ. I realize this about epoxy now. I wish I knew that back then.
At just over 5 pounds, The weight on your boat is impressive considering your wing on the back and you’re cowling.
Thanks for Chiming in

My sport 20 weights 6 pounds 10oz full of fuel and has beaten many 4.5, 5, 5.5, 6 pound boats. I would focus on the setup, and I bet you will forget about that 6.2 pounds. Glad to see another Sport 20 on the circuit.

I have to agree with Bradley, weight is important but set up is even more so. Then again, Bradley is a magician that can do almost anything with an R/C boat ;)

Ok, working on set up is better than building another boat.

Thanks Bradley, some have told me that weight is not always the enemy of some boats. Sometimes I think that weight on my boat might help prevent blow over’s.
I am now not worried as much about the weight. Since I see Bradley’s Boat is heavier than mine, and he wins lots of races.

Still curious to see what other people sport 20s weigh

Thanks again for your thoughts

Jim

My sport 20 weights 6 pounds 10oz full of fuel and has beaten many 4.5, 5, 5.5, 6 pound boats. I would focus on the setup, and I bet you will forget about that 6.2 pounds. Glad to see another Sport 20 on the circuit.
I agree Brad, I'm not sure where we are...but balance is huge.

Alex's boat is over 6 lbs, Its been a while since I weighed it. I want to say 6lbs 3 oz everything but fuel. and he runs up front A lot. he doesn't let me touch it. LOL Does this look like its weight is slowing him down. That was at the Mt Vernon Nats 2018. I think it was 2018. its in the set up. Pick the right prop, get the right turn fin. Brad, I am jealous that Hydro Junkie has a wing and we don't . If I were to guess. I am not sure how much Sam Hagan wife's boat weighed, but if she was over 6 lbs, that means the top3 sport 20s were over 6lbs. it was the second biggest class next to sport 40. So, there goes the weight theory. weight does play a role but it doesn't mean its life is over.
Ken

Attachments

• kitchen.jpg
    kitchen.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 30
Ken, are you serious? Why would you be jealous over my boat having a wing? There's not really anything special about it. It's just a redesigned Dumas Pak kit with a 5 port Nova 21.

Thanks for the info on the weight. I haven’t sanded the bottom of ride surfaces yet. That will be my next focus.

and I have 3 go to props, ABC 1515, 1516, octura m440.

ever since I repaired my transom after hitting a turtle or pond monster of some type, it hasn’t run consistently.
Falls on and off the pipe regularly.
It was end of season so it may be bearings.

thanks for pointing out that set up is more important than weight.
It looks as 6.2 pounds it average.

Back