My new scale "in the works"

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
****, you don't mess around when it comes to painting. You must be a super fast wet sander!

tracerbob said:
****, you don't mess around when it comes to painting. You must be a super fast wet sander!
When you spend the extra time in the early stages of prepping the hull, things speed up when you get to this point. The epoxy primer layed down nice, the wet sanding was just to knock the surface down a little smoother so the paint will lay down like glass. It's sort of amusing at times some of the supposedly "ready for paint" examples I've seen people show me. The single best check method when you think it's "ready for paint" is spray it down with water, will show imperfections great. If you see anything at all, rest assured it will show up when the paint goes on if you don't fix it........ ;)

Don, We gonna call ya Speedy!!!! :lol:

Man my painting skills stink, nice job, I'm jealous ;)

Gene :D

Same here, don;t know why but it always looks like the rest of the room got al the paint that's not on the boat. I see your garagedoor is still white, great job B)

XtremeRcBoats said:
Same here, don;t know why but it always looks like the rest of the room got al the paint that's not on the boat. I see your garagedoor is still white, great job B)
Does the letters HVLP mean anything to you?? If you are not painting this way then you should be. It's much nicer having 80% of what you're spraying winding up actually going on what you're shooting......... B)

Don

Do you ever do wood boats. Can you spray the DZ-3 directly on the wood or do you need to seal it with an epoxy resin first? Do you ever need to put a sealer over the primer before you apply a basecoat.

Thanks, Buddy

Buddy Beaird said:
Don  Do you ever do wood boats. Can you spray the DZ-3 directly on the wood or do you need to seal it with an epoxy resin first?  Do you ever need to put a sealer over the primer before you apply a basecoat.

Thanks, Buddy
Of course, got a wall full of riggers, all wood. Yes the wood needs to be sealed, I prefer West Systems epoxy. The DZ3 is just a " scratch & pinhole chaser" I seal it with PPG DPLF white epoxy primer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wet applying the graphics after a #600 wet sand of paint. As many times as I've done scales, this is the part that still makes me nervous.......... :blink:

Under the halogen flood lamps drying the moisture out from under graphics. Then it's peel off the transfer paper & clearcoat tomorrow! :D :D

Don, I haven't heard of "wet applying graphics". Are the graphics your using vinyl with the sticky back?

Don,

Looking good! Thanks for posting the pic's as you go! I'm enjoying seeing it transform!

Tim.

Glenn1087 said:
Don, I haven't heard of "wet applying graphics".  Are the graphics your using vinyl with the sticky back?
Wet application is the way to do graphics & be able to move them around before final position is set & have no air bubbles in them. Basically you take a small spray bottle filled with water & a few drops of dish washing liquid soap, spray both the surface of boat & back of decal (sticky side). Set in place, slide into final position & squeegie excess solution out from under graphics. Allow to dry then peel away transfer film & you've got nice smooth graphics right where you wanted them. You can accelerate the drying with lamps but don't get things too warm of the sticky backing of transfer film gets too sticky!! :D

Don,

How are the decals manufactured? Is the image printed on the vinyl, then machine trimmed or is the colors actually two pieces, one for each color that are placed together on the transfer tape? Our shop has been doing vinyl lettering for quite a few years and I'd like to give this stuff a shot. We don't have a color printer as most of our business is cut vinyl but one of our friends has a nice printer I can use.

tracerbob said:
Don,How are the decals manufactured? Is the image printed on the vinyl, then machine trimmed or is the colors actually two pieces, one for each color that are placed together on the transfer tape? Our shop has been doing vinyl lettering for quite a few years and I'd like to give this stuff a shot. We don't have a color printer as most of our business is cut vinyl but one of our friends has a nice printer I can use.
Both, depends on the graphics. The Bud stuff is layered, only two colors. My '97 Close Call I did the artwork & had graphics custom done ink on white vinyl. Those graphics had way too many colors to stack! :eek: :eek:

Don the Bud is coming along real nice!

I know this isnt a Scale but thought it was a nice paint job.

Using vinyl decals applied wet over gold then spraying the red over them. After the red dries remove the vinyl to expose the gold underneath, Clear coat and wha -la.

Ron

Back