My new scale "in the works"

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The hull is a DPS (Doug Sheperd), the boat is the Bud T-4. B)

Hope to have it in primer by end of weekend. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
What paint scheme are you considering or should we wait until it drys?

Being a gasser (ya, I know - it's a bad thing... :ph34r: ) I am seriously considering either scale or sport 40 for the next winter project. Leaning heavy on sport 40 though..

apache5056 said:
.... I am seriously considering either scale or sport 40 for the next winter project. Leaning heavy on sport 40 though..
The sport 40 is alot of fun & WAY less maintenance than a 1/8 scale. BUT to me there is nothing prettier on the water than a nicely done scale boat. The riggers give me my fix when I feel that need for speed but there's just something about them scale boats...... B)

Russell Bear said:
This was my T-4 I had a few years ago......
"had" :huh:

What happened, was it bad?
No not at all. It was one of those too many boats things. I was finishing my '97 Close Call, the Winston Eagle "lobster" was on order from Phil Thomas & I needed a pair of motors for my new twin. My buddy Tony Masiello offered to pay for my two new Picco 80 EXR's in trade so I did it (hull & hardware only). His wife Dodie ran the boat for two seasons until the Bud T-5 they ordered came in. Now what the next owner did to it is another story. A rather untimely abusive death.......... <_<

The Close Call -

Mr. Sheperd makes a nice looking hull. Does he make any other 1/8 scale boats? Been looking for a T-2 hull.

tracerbob said:
Mr. Sheperd makes a nice looking hull.  Does he make any other 1/8 scale boats?  Been looking for a T-2 hull.
He does make a very limited number of other hulls but as far as I know no T-2. Troy McIntire makes the T-2 as does Dick Caspari of Thunderboat Reproductions. I've always liked Caspari's hulls (my first T-4 & Close Call were both by him) BUT you'll need lot's ( & I mean LOT'S) of patience if you order a boat from him. Expect a 12 month minimum wait with alot of "excuses" in between...... <_< You're better off talking to Troy if you want one before 2005.

Bill Fritz builds a T-2 hull but I've heard that it's very long wait for his too. Up to 2 years. What does Doug usually ask pricewise for one of his hulls?

tracerbob said:
Bill Fritz builds a T-2 hull but I've heard that it's very long wait for his too. Up to 2 years. What does Doug usually ask pricewise for one of his hulls?
Fritz builds very nice hulls. I would have to say based on the DPS hull I have here & the Fritz hull I had & have seen the DPS hulls run a very, very close second. I believe a DPS hull will set you back about $650?? Doug's not the fastest guy on the planet either, I've been trying to get a turbine tube & patterned windshield from him for about a year now. If you could talk yourself into a T-5 then take a real hard look at Phil Thomas' T-5, NICE! Not to mention you'll probably get it in 6-8 weeks...... B)

Thanks Don, I'll take that into consideration as I just picked up one of Phil's sport 40s and the craftsmanship is very nice. Met Phil at the winternats last week. Very personable guy. Thanks again for the info and I'll let this thread go back to winter projects.

I've considered the Sport 40 for the one big reason, I have a few close to home buds that also race the class. That and I can put together a scratch built to match my gas sport hydro and be competitive.

I agree with you Don. The scale is the prettiest boat on the water. Well, second to a good running gas Seaducer........ :rolleyes:

How does the 1/8 model T-4 run compaired the the model t-5? I know that Bernie and crew damned the mid hull wing designs. The current T-4 is now a completly re-designed 3 wing hull as the u-8 Llumar. I talked to Chip Hanuer about the T-4 while they were qualifying it in San Diego and he let me know that the 4 was a little on the heavy side so they ended up competing the T-5 (and wrecking it) and that might have been why they religated it to the trailer for a while before selling it to Llumar.

Hanauer actually really didn't like the boat, he said you really had no feel of it on the water. They kept trying things to make it better, the only thing that did help was adding weight, then as he told you, it became too heavy. As it was told to me, Chip was the one who finally told Bernie to dry dock it. The 1/8 version is no different, they require alot more to make them run right, a full deck boat is much easier. I personally have a "soft spot" for the way the T-4 looks so I spend the extra time to make it work right. Can you say patience?? :unsure: :blink: :huh: :eek: <_<

Lookin' good there, Don!

Hey, where'd you get that Quick Silver stand...and where can I get one? :p

I hate sanding - Don't envy that job Don!

Thanks for the progress pic's!

Don... while you're sanding away on that, would it make really any difference if I sent you this woodie to sand on as well? Heck, it's just one more boat.... :rolleyes: ... I HATE SAND PAPER ...

Look at it this way... you're farther now than when you started.... :huh:

Lookin good!

Latest posts

Back