Must Have Records if you Rock

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some kinda wierd stuff....anybody remember King Crimson, Emerson Lake, and Palmer? BLOOD ROCK?(D.O.A.).....How about Crazyhorse............Blackfoot Sue (Standin in the Road)....Montrose...remember who the singer was? Trying to think of some more sorta "unique" bands.....
Yes I know them all. Good stuff

Montrose Orginal Singer was Sammy Hagar.. now in Chickenfoot with Michael Anthony and Joe Satriani

Ronnie Montrose passed away this past March of a self inflicted gunshot wound. Sent a "suicide text" to his wife.

Last edited by a moderator:
We had a place downtown Detroit all these bands played at before they hit it huge i would go see them about every weekend what a memory. Robert
The Filmore East, Robert,

SRC (Scott Richards Case)

Late Seventies and early 80s ? There were a LOT of bars that had good music in all parts of town.

If we are talking about "Downtown" as defined by most people who engage in going into the bowels of the Motor City to do stuff; everything south of the Fisher Freeway that falls between the Lodge to the West and the Chrysler to the East then that narrows it down to a few (not including Cobo, JLA, Masonic, Ford Auditorium, Hart Plaza etc. )

We have circa late 70s through the 80s

Graystone, (under the Ramada)

St. Andrews Hall

The State Theater

The Majestic

St. Andrews was THE place that had the most gigs. Just south of Greektown on Congress

Some kinda wierd stuff....anybody remember King Crimson, Emerson Lake, and Palmer? BLOOD ROCK?(D.O.A.).....How about Crazyhorse............Blackfoot Sue (Standin in the Road)....Montrose...remember who the singer was? Trying to think of some more sorta "unique" bands.....

Montrose Orginal Singer was Sammy Hagar.. now in Chickenfoot with Michael Anthony and Joe Satriani

Ronnie Montrose passed away this past March of a self inflicted gunshot wound. Sent a "suicide text" to his wife.
****..thats a shame.... you just never know....ummm just thought of some more...Uriha Heep(Demons and Wizards comes to mind) A Florida band called White Witch...they did go big, national for awhile, sold a fair number of albums...they are all dead....DRUGS as usual.....OH MAN...its comin back....Jo Jo Gunne....MOUNTAIN!(Felix Papillardi.... girlfriend shot him down, i believe...or was Lelsie West,s Girlfriend??) ALVIN LEE & TEN YEARS AFTER!...GOD im OLD!! I musta got hooked on rock when i was like 9 years old! Has ayone mentioned the guy that is the reason we listen to all this music?? Jimmy Hendrix (Are You Experienced? - Cry Of Love) This is kinda FUN!

****..thats a shame.... you just never know....ummm just thought of some more...Uriha Heep(Demons and Wizards comes to mind) A Florida band called White Witch...they did go big, national for awhile, sold a fair number of albums...they are all dead....DRUGS as usual.....OH MAN...its comin back....Jo Jo Gunne....MOUNTAIN!(Felix Papillardi.... girlfriend shot him down, i believe...or was Lelsie West,s Girlfriend??) ALVIN LEE & TEN YEARS AFTER!...GOD im OLD!! I musta got hooked on rock when i was like 9 years old! Has ayone mentioned the guy that is the reason we listen to all this music?? Jimmy Hendrix (Are You Experienced? - Cry Of Love) This is kinda FUN!
It is .. go to You Tube has a LOT of complete Albums for a lot of those.

A lot have let it get the best of them.. sad but true. West is still around. Had a leg chopped off for health reasons.

So much good music....now, 99% of todays music is total regergitaded disco/pop CRAP!!! Probably wont believe this but there is one rap song i actually like...not sure why...I think its because it tells about an environment that i completly ignorant to....Jay Z is the guy, the song is 99 problems.....it'll either make you sick because its rap, or it might even kinda draw you in ...for some wierd reason... just go to You Tube. Quite brutal actually.......

We had a place downtown Detroit all these bands played at before they hit it huge i would go see them about every weekend what a memory. Robert

The Fillmore East that I know was in downtown Manhattan, NYC. Old school shows I saw there. Butterfield Blues Band, Canned Heat, Sweetwater, Savoy Brown, John Mayall..............==={} B)

The Fillmore East that I know was in downtown Manhattan, NYC. Old school shows I saw there. Butterfield Blues Band, Canned Heat, Sweetwater, Savoy Brown, John Mayall..............==={} B)
Ray,

In Detroit, Fillmore was also known as the State, and even earlier the Palms

Ray,

In Detroit, Fillmore was also known as the State, and even earlier the Palms
Ahhhhhh... Yes. right next to the Fox Theater. Across from a big hunk of cement that was next to the Elwood Bar and Grill.. I heard that big parking lot is now a Stadium?

So it was the Palms then the State Theater/ Club Land and now it made it's way to being the Filmore? Still owned by the Little Ceasars family?

For me, being 6 years younger than my brother had one great advantage, I was listening to some great music at an early age. His record collection was filled with great bands like Led Zeppelin, the Beatles, Steppenwolf, Credence, the Band, Eric Clapton, and Jimi Hendrix. Some of my first records were Kiss, AC/DC, Aerosmith, Rush and Van Halen. All the while, there were bands like the Eagles, Bob Seger, Ted Nugent, Bad Co., Journey, Foghat, Boston, Cheap Trick, Queen, Pink Floyd, and REO blaring on my car stereo. I guess like a lot of you, I really miss the old days. There really hasn't been much that interests me about new music, but I have found a couple of bright spots in recent years. Check out Derek Trucks Band and Joe Bonamassa. Amazing artists in the today's sea of mediocrity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=gOJuWoPO-2c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=SUyA1_NGNI4

Last edited:
Ted at about the time he released the first record on Epic with Derreck St. Holmes.. RAW old school pirate recording in Central Park NYC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2g-UUek4rk
Norm, grew up in NYC. Saw most of the Schaefer concerts, including Ted. Years earlier the Dead and Airplane would play at the Band Schell for free. The Nightbird( Alison Steele) would MC the shows, She was so hot in her American flag hot pants. :wub: .....==={}

Ted at about the time he released the first record on Epic with Derreck St. Holmes.. RAW old school pirate recording in Central Park NYC

Norm, grew up in NYC. Saw most of the Schaefer concerts, including Ted. Years earlier the Dead and Airplane would play at the Band Schell for free. The Nightbird( Alison Steele) would MC the shows, She was so hot in her American flag hot pants. :wub: .....==={}
I remember her.. late nights NY Radio.. back when radio rocked.

I remember her.. late nights NY Radio.. back when radio rocked.
O yea, WNEW-FM Scott Munie always opened with the Beatles and Alison would open with Riders on the Storm(Doors) if it was raining. ;) ...==={}

Latest posts

Back